Ruleset Point Systems

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

microgeorge
E5

Ruleset Point Systems

Post by microgeorge »

I'm sure most have played a set of rules that employ a points system to ensure balanced scenarios. Do you always use the points system when designing your own scenarios? Or have you created an historical balanced scenario by carefully selecting the opposing forces, creating victory conditions that either players can achieve, and creating scenario specific rules? Would you ever consider playing a set of rules that did not employ a points system, specifically for a post WWII microarmor game?

MechCommander
E5

Re: Ruleset Point Systems

Post by MechCommander »

i think me and Redleg use a system without a point limit for our imagi-nation Wargaming. like the one we just need months ago.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

MechCommander wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 3:21 am
i think me and Redleg use a system without a point limit for our imagi-nation Wargaming. like the one we just need months ago.
That's correct, we did not use points to determine our forces, however I did adjust the enemy's starting strength based on what the players brought to the war. It's important to note that we played a campaign though, and not a single battle, so our performance in a particular engagement affects what is available for the next one. We also made operational-level decisions on unit movements, and strategic-level decisions about replacements, so the individual battles were often lop-sided (and that was the goal as an operational-level commander). The amount of replacements available every month (and the types of units) was based on the starting force of each belligerent.

I do think that using points can be fun when you are just playing a quick stand-alone game. If a couple of the fellas are over with some tanks then it's cool to pick a point level and just have a fun game. Rollin dice and killin tanks. If it's a historical scenario, or a campaign game though, I usually dislike points for starting forces, and I generally stay away from victory points too.
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Hi George

I do not use a points system to balance my games. I do try to make the forces and victory conditions reasonably balanced to create a fun and interesting scenario that is challenging for both sides. Sometimes both sides will have nearly equal forces to work with but other times it becomes a quantity vs. quality contest. Even if you have a side that has a large numerical and or qualitative advantage you can always make the scenario interesting by giving the advantaged side some serious time constraints to achieve their objectives to achieve victory.

microgeorge
E5

Post by microgeorge »

I hosted a game at my house yesterday. It involved elements of the 21st Panzer Division counterattacking the British on June 6th. One of the German victory objectives was to exit a certain number of units off the north edge of the board. The German players elected to move and fire, cutting their speed in half and making shooting more difficult. Instead of keeping their eyes on the prize they decided to turn the game into a slugfest with the British armor, infantry and anti-tank guns. We stopped the game after 8 turns (10 turn scenario) because it became obvious that they would not exit off enough units (objective 1) nor destroy half of the British units (objective 2). I don't think using a points system would have improved the game. The German players had plenty of assets to win. They completely ignored one side of the table and attempted to bum rush the eastern side of the table without the "rush". Sometimes I feel like I'm conducting a psychological experiment when I design and host a game.

microgeorge
E5

Post by microgeorge »

I want to thank you all for your input on this topic.

Donald M Scheef

Post by Donald M Scheef »

I have used point systems to determine the size of opponents in several games, but almost never to make the sides EQUAL. The closest to this process in history is when ancient armies sent out their champions to decide the outcome of a battle.

My favorite use of this system only works if you have a relatively large (6 or more) of regular gamers who can meet a week before the actual battle. The organizer specifies the era, place, combatants, victory conditions, etc. One side has pre-fixed TOE or point value. The size of the other side is determined by a closed bidding process. The lowest bidder becomes commander of the second army. The second-lowest bidder is commander of the first army. Other sub-commands are determined by lower bid has first choice.

Don S.

sultanbev
E5

Post by sultanbev »

We don't points systems.
For a club encounter game in the evening, we tend to state 2 companies and 3 support platoons for whatever army you are using. Then, for each level of training difference, command value difference, and morale difference, the inferior side gets an extra platoon.

As one of our games said, I do accounts all day at work, the last thing I want to be doing more accounting in my hobby, adding up lots of points values!

Mark