Pete's Place

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

pmskaar
E5

Re: Pete's Place

Post by pmskaar »

Thank you very much, Redleg!

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

I ran a game this last Saturday, April 13th, at my FLGS Imperial Outpost in Glendale, AZ. This was a preliminary game to my Mein Panzer Cruisin' for a Bruisin' scenario that I will be running at Sand Wars in Mesa on May 18th.

For this round, I only had 2 players, Matt W. and Jeffrey M. Matt, who played one time back in October took the British. Jeffrey, who took the Germans has never played Mein Panzer.

Matt won the initiative rolls at the start of each turn but Jeffrey had better luck with rolling for hits and kills. The game went 4 turns before we called it but there was a lot of action with the British getting the worst of it. At the end of turn 4 we decided to call the game and declared a German victory .... this time.
After the game, I opened up discussion as how to improve things. Not a whole lot but the players agreed that the location of one of the 4 hills gave the Germans a bit of an advantage. I will mull that over for next time.

The next game will be at Imperial Outpost on Saturday, April 27th. I am hoping to have more players for that one and so far I have several people that plan to attend. If I have at least 4 and up to 6, that would be great.

Here are some pictures from the game last Saturday.

Start of Turn 2 with first British troop plus HQ approaching the village.

A few casualties to the British forces.

A wider view showing the German position as well.

The battle for the village continues.

This is from the end of turn 3 or early turn 4. The Germans are dominating the action but have also suffered losses as well.

The game was called at the end of turn 4. Both sides lost their Company/Squadron HQ tanks but the Germans were in a better position overall.

Both players enjoyed the game and plan to play again. I will call the day a definite success!

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Fantastic looking game Pete! You probably mentioned it before, but are the buildings GHQ as well?
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Thanks very much, Redleg!

None of the buildings in the picture are by GHQ. Five of them including the 2 Tunisian style barrel vault buildings are by Timecast. The other 3 are old Leva Productions which are now owned by I-94 if I recall correctly.

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Here is one of the military vehicles I painted for GHQ back in the day. This is a Russian Zis-5 fuel truck.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

That truck looks awesome Pete!

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Thanks very much, Redleg! It was an interesting vehicle to paint. I would love to have a cyrillic decal for "Flammable". Apparently quite a number of fuel trucks had that label on them.

Mortis57
E5

Post by Mortis57 »

pmskaar wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:51 pm
The other 3 are old Leva Productions which are now owned by I-94 if I recall correctly.
Maybe, although I do know that Legions IV Hire have some of the old Leva stuff as DB Miniatures.

foxbat
E5

Post by foxbat »

Lots of things you've added since my last visit! 8)
Excellent work on the Shinano, the unluckiest carrier of the war. She was sunk so soon that only on photograph of her at sea was taken, if I'm not mistaken.
Great work too on your tanks and scenery, I love the pics of the tanks crossing bridges :D

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Thank you very much, Foxbat! It is great to have you back posting again.

Gazza, apparently they do have some of the old line at least. I have a Leva factory that I bought from them years ago that I did not see in the Legions IV Hire catalog.

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Here is another ship that I painted for the GHQ catalog. This is HMS Southampton a British light cruiser that was lost in 1941.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

That's a beautiful ship Pete!

foxbat
E5

Post by foxbat »

Nice cruiser, Pete. Got a copy in my stash, but I'll do the HMS Sheffield. Saw a lot of action, against the Bismarck an d also against the Scharnhorst. Need to pick the scheme I'll use!

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Thank you both very much, Redleg and Foxbat.

Foxbat, deciding on a particular scheme is always an interesting decision for me whether it be ships, aircraft, or military vehicles. I did the Southampton up in a 1940-41 scheme as I know it because she was lost in January 1941. It was starting in mid 1941 that the British were getting more elaborate with their camo schemes.

Here is the Prince of Wales that I painted for GHQ. I painted this one in her earlier scheme when she fought the Bismarck. Of course when she sailed for the Pacific it had changed to a much more elaborate camouflage scheme.