Joint Task Force Pope

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

panzergator
E5

Re: Joint Task Force Pope

Post by panzergator »

I believe I know how my 3D-printing son is going to spend a few weekends with his dad... We are going to have a miniature Ray Barracks in my basement! Been to Conn - took the M1 driver's thermal viewer there for testing in '81 and wife was stationed at Wurzburg '93-'97. Went up to Schweinfurt for my tank fix a few times.
Last edited by panzergator on Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
All blessings flow from a good mission statement.
Pogo was right. So was Ike.
"A Gentleman is a man who is only rude intentionally." (Churchill)
Give credit. Take responsibility.

MechCommander
E5

Post by MechCommander »

Speaking of 3D printing. feast your eyes on this!!! A YB-49 bomber

whenimaginationfails
E5

Post by whenimaginationfails »

redleg wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:29 am

Next I made a basswood square that just barely fit inside the building. This would provide the layered effect I wanted and it would provide stability.
That is a very cool approach. It would be a solid building.

I glue thin plastic sheets to the inside of the walls with a glue stick and then glue plastic L corner pieces to hold the corners together. Holds up well and is lightweight.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Whenimaginationfails, that sounds like a good technique! I think I might give that a shot on some future buildings. I'm still experimenting quite a bit, and I knw I want to have hangars and maintenance bays open, so that might be a great way to stabilize the building and keep the internal space open!

PG, you gotta share your Ray Barracks project! I don't know that caserne, but I spent a lot of time at Conn Barracks (usually when the brigade commander wanted to chew our butt for something) Spent a ton of time in Wuerzburg - beautiful city! I would move there in a second if I had an opportunity.

Nice bomber, Mech!
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

Did you know Ted Barnes at Conn?

Ray Barracks (where Elvis served) was in Friedberg, near Frankfurt 3AD. I also spent some time in Baumholder. Wife dragged me to Wurzburg. All were privileged assignments. Also enjoyed those periodic excursions to Grafenwohr, Hohenfels, and Wildflecken.
All blessings flow from a good mission statement.
Pogo was right. So was Ike.
"A Gentleman is a man who is only rude intentionally." (Churchill)
Give credit. Take responsibility.

MechCommander
E5

Post by MechCommander »

redleg wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:14 pm
Whenimaginationfails, that sounds like a good technique! I think I might give that a shot on some future buildings. I'm still experimenting quite a bit, and I knw I want to have hangars and maintenance bays open, so that might be a great way to stabilize the building and keep the internal space open!

PG, you gotta share your Ray Barracks project! I don't know that caserne, but I spent a lot of time at Conn Barracks (usually when the brigade commander wanted to chew our butt for something) Spent a ton of time in Wuerzburg - beautiful city! I would move there in a second if I had an opportunity.

Nice bomber, Mech!

Thanks took me 3 and a half hours to print this bomber on my Ender 3 pro.