Pete's Place

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

pmskaar
E5

Re: Pete's Place

Post by pmskaar »

The "Big Day" is here! The Sand Wars Convention is being held on Saturday and Sunday, May 18th and 19th at Mesa Community College in the greater Phoenix area. I will be running my Cruisin' for a Bruisin' scenario using the Mein Panzer rules by ODGW.

I very much look forward to meeting Redleg and Hoth in person. I hope to give them a good gaming experience plus do so show and tell as well. I also look forward to checking out some of the other games there as well including at least 2 other micro armor games. It should be a great time.

Here are a few pictures from the games I have run over the last several months to help me prep for this.

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

Gosh, I love that resort! The beach and sun.
Nice vista to enjoy nature.
Just ignore the those noises.
Chris

Mortis57
E5

Post by Mortis57 »

pmskaar wrote:
Sat May 18, 2024 5:52 am
The "Big Day" is here!
Good luck chaps! I'm looking forward to the AARs (and photos).

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

I had a great time at the game yesterday! Thanks so much Pete for your hospitality and your patience in teaching me the rules. Sadly, Hoth was sick and unable to make it to the con, so Pete had to beat me up all by himself. He didn’t seem to have much trouble with that!

First off, Pate’s tanks and terrain look even better in person! Spectacular workmanship! And he was kind enough to show me some of his other vehicles and terrain that weren’t in the game too.

We went a little lighter than originally planned, with just a single tank company on each side. Pete’s Germans sent one platoon racing into the town while another one went into overwatch on a nearby hilltop. My Brits also put a platoon on a hilltop, and then we had some tea in the low ground.

The Germans

The British

Have you ever had a bad idea, but you do it anyway because you think that this just might be your lucky day and you might get away with it? Crossing the open ground in front of Pete’s Panzers is one of those ideas! Only some poor die rolls by Pete’s overwatch platoon kept it from going even worse for me. And then I got obsessed with the command distance and I pulled my overwatch platoon down off the hill so it would be close enough to my commander, which looking back was also a big mistake. They would have lost their bonus move, but on overwatch they could still fire so it probably would have been worth it to take the penalty.

We had a short-range gunfight inside the town before we called it. Neither side held the town, but based on body count it was definitely a German victory. It was a ton of fun, and I don’t mind getting my ** CENSORED ** kicked if I get to play with Pete’s tanks while it’s happening!

Aerial view at the end of the game. Germans on the right and Brits on the left. All the burning tanks are mine!

Thanks again Pete! I will be back!

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

That is a fantastic AAR with pictures of our game, Redleg! I really appreciate it and had a great time with you at the Sand Wars convention. Thank you so much for making the trek and taking pictures and providing the After Action Report here.

Yes, despite having only 2 players for the game including yours truly, we had a great time with Cruisin' for a Bruisin'. Redleg picked up the rules quickly and we played to a nice conclusion after 6 full turns.

Redleg won the initiative rolls 5 out of 6 times as I seemed to be rolling pretty high for those. Low numbers are good in Mein Panzer and high numbers not so much on a 20 sided die. My problem in my shooting was rolling what I thought was a very high number of "Misfires". Fortunately, I did not lose any tanks due to misfires but had to clear at least a couple and had a fair number of "Dud"s. Misfires happen when you roll a natural 20 on the To Hit table.

I will be posting some of my own pictures here but really appreciate having a great game and Redleg's great company at the Con.

Hoth_902
E5

Post by Hoth_902 »

Game looks and sounds like it was a blast. Really disappointed I did not get to participate. Made the trek to Mesa and got hit with COVID. WORSE LUCK EVER!!!!!!!
Quantity has a Quality all its own.

http://warriorbear.weebly.com/

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Hi Hoth

I was so sorry you were unable to make the game yesterday. It was a big disappointment for me and Redleg as well that you were not there. If you are still in town please let me know when you are able to get together. It will be great to meet you in person.

Mortis57
E5

Post by Mortis57 »

Great AAR and photos, Redleg.

It's a shame that Hoth was ill and couldn't make it - I sometimes forget that Covid is still a thing. Although I guess it's here for the duration now as just another disease. i hope that you recover soon, Hoth, and that it doesn't affect you too much.

Looking forward to any additional photos you can add too, Pete.

Hoth_902
E5

Post by Hoth_902 »

Pete and Mortis57.

Thanks for well wish, I am recovering fast. I think I got on it quick and am on paxlovid, which did wonders the last time. Yes, I did say last time. Had it just over a year ago. Any way, looks like I will be well enough to save the work part of my trip ....just my luck. Miss the vacation part, but make the work part. Ugh....

Pete,
I may be able to meet up wed night, but that is a big might. My girlfriend is now sick. No fever, but body aches, caught and congestion.

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Hi Hoth

Wednesday would work if it works for you if you are good to go.

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Here are some more pictures that I took from our game at Sand Wars. Redleg did an excellent AAR already so I don't really have much to add except that we had a great time. I did have to look up the rules for Reaction when we actually had a couple opposing tanks within 2'' or 100 yards in game scale which is virtually point blank.

It was great to meet Redleg in person and really had a good time talking about micro armor and a lot of other things as well.

Here are some pictures I took of our prior to the start of the game. I admit that I took some before the game began and sort of forgot to take any more until we were about halfway in. No worries as Redleg did an excellent job documenting the flow of the game.

This is a pregame picture before the action started.

A close-up of the village showing the crossroads on the left.

Another view showing things more from the ground level.

One more ground level picture before the action started.

I will post some pictures of the game very soon. Stay tuned!

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Here are some pictures of the actual game played with Redleg at Sand Wars last Saturday, May 18th. It was a great game and we had a great time.

Hoth_902
E5

Post by Hoth_902 »

Pete,

Amazing pictures from both you and Redleg. Thanks for sharing

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Thank you very much, Hoth! Again, it was really too bad that you could not make it for this game but perhaps another time. I really appreciate it and look forward to meeting you in the future.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

More great pics of the game and the con! That was tons of fun - I'm ready to make this an annual event!