Olfarty's strictly WW2 extravaganza

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

pmskaar
E5

Re: Olfarty's strictly WW2 extravaganza

Post by pmskaar »

Very nice 251s, Olfarty! I have a few Sdkfz 251B. I think the manufacturer is CinC in this case. They came as part of a group of vehicles I bought from a guy probably about 25 plus years ago. They had been painted in a shiny Panzer Gray color. I may try stripping them and giving them a repaint one of these days.

I believe they are CinC because they have the flat bottom rather than the typical GHQ hollow bottom. Of course I have lots of GHQ Sdkfz 251Cs and Ds to paint already. I just need to get to them but have other projects to do first.

Olfarty

Post by Olfarty »

pmskaar wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 6:29 am
I believe they are CinC because they have the flat bottom rather than the typical GHQ hollow bottom.
Pete,

CinC's 251/1 Ausf B is G007. It is available from Legions IV Hire - 6 packs currently in stock at CAD $14.00 each. However, GHQ's now deleted G8 251/1 & /10 Ausf B is a more accurate model. I've literally just checked the I-94 Enterprises website again - there are still 4 packs of the GHQ G8 available from I-94 at US $11.82 each.

And a quick check of my GHQ 251 Ausf B's, C's & D's - they've all got a flat bottom, though there is some variation with the older casts.

Olfarty

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Yes Olfarty, you are absolutely correct in that the GHQ 251s do have the flat bottom. I know because I checked mine again. This is not usual for GHQ but definitely true in this case. I checked my 250s and noticed that they do have the hollow bottom.

Olfarty

Post by Olfarty »

Theme: Water barriers (ie. getting across them). Second part – bridge-layers.

GHQ’s very nice G565 IV bridgelayer. Handy for getting across a stream, or an irrigation ditch or a hole in a bridge.

GHQ has thus far given us three WW2 period bridge-layers:

G565 Pz IV bridgelayer > in reality only 20 were created. Only saw action in France in 1940.

The other two bridgelayers were:

It-28 Bridgelayer > possibly just 1 actually built (a probably biased source gives a maximum of figure of just 8 ). Possibly did not see action at all!

UK85 Churchill Bridgelayer > Reportedly 64 built by mid 1944 (total ~99). Actually, only about 13 in action by mid-1944. Served through mid-1945.

And the vehicle not available from GHQ is the Valentine bridgelayer - which was apparently built in greatest numbers and saw more widespread service than all the others. Sources vary, however at least 192 built (possibly 239). Was in action from late 1943 through 1945 (& post-war). In mid-1944 about 60 or more were likely in action in NW Europe, in Italy, in the Far East and apparently on the Eastern Front (the latter with with the Red Army). Pics of my DIY Valentine Bridgelayers coming soon...
Last edited by Olfarty on Tue Jun 04, 2024 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mortis57
E5

Post by Mortis57 »

Olfarty wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2024 4:37 pm
G565 Pz IV bridgelayer
Even though it's too early for my late war army I have one of H&R's attempt. It's nice enough although it's nowhere as nice as GHQs.
It-28 Bridgelayer
Not one I've got. Not even the H&R attempt.
UK85 Churchill Bridgelayer
I've got two packs to make up a unit of 3. So I've got a spare one.
And the vehicle not available from GHQ is the Valentine bridgelayer
Yeah, that's at the top of my 'Wants List'. I know Baccus does one but their microarmour makes the GHQ stuff look small as it's about 1/250th.

However, Scotia have annouced recently that they've acquired a licence to print M Bergmann's 3d designs at 1/300. He does a Valentine Bridgelayer so hopefully (for me) Scotia will eventually offer it. They have over the last two weeks announced several variants of his Italian L3/33 & L3/35 offerings including the flamethrower variant. I already have my order ready to be posted on Tuesday along with a cheque (how old-fashioned is that!).

Olfarty

Post by Olfarty »

Mortis57 wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2024 2:52 am
However, Scotia have annouced recently that they've acquired a licence to print M Bergmann's 3d designs at 1/300.
Yep, I noticed that yesterday. Although, obviously the wrong scale!!

WRT the IT-28 bridgelayer, I've retained an H&R IT-28 bridge in spares (but long since discarded the hull) - purchased way back...

WRT to 3d printed pieces again, have you received your order from PSC yet???

And you sent a what? A cheque? It's been many years since I ordered from Scotia, however I would have thought an electronic payment method would be the norm :?

Mortis57
E5

Post by Mortis57 »

Olfarty wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2024 4:29 am
WRT to 3d printed pieces again, have you received your order from PSC yet???
No, after 10 weeks of waiting we decided to ask for a refund. After my mate emailed them each day for about a week with no reply, we eventually contacted Paypal - who refunded the money. All in all, I'm really disappointed with PSC and their customer service and doubt that I'll ever attempt to order from them again.
And you sent a what? A cheque? It's been many years since I ordered from Scotia, however I would have thought an electronic payment method would be the norm :?
It certainly is the norm (Paypal/Credit Card etc.) - just not in my case. I have a building society account, rather than a bank account, which doesn't work with Paypal. So, I either get a cheque from the building society (as in this case), ask my mate to order via Paypal (like with PSC), or (funnily enough) I can make a direct payment with a Bank Transfer (but only Butler's Printed Models offers this option).

Olfarty

Post by Olfarty »

Mortis57 wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2024 5:21 am
PSC and their customer service
Not a good sign. I placed an order on 21st April. It's still showing as "On Hold". I tried sending a message via their contact page - which didn't actually work. I then managed to send an email....

Mortis57
E5

Post by Mortis57 »

Olfarty wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2024 6:00 am
I tried sending a message via their contact page - which didn't actually work. I then managed to send an email....
Yeah, both myself and my mate had the same issues.

I may have said this previously, but given that the STLs seem to be for 28mm scale figures (at least that's one of issues they claimed to be having with the Dickermax scaling it down from 28-6mm), I wonder if anyone has received any 6mm prints?

There's enough other manufacturers (either as 3d prints or metal castings) or websites that have free (and paid) STLs avaiable that I'm sure that I won't be too bothered about boycotting PSC. I certainly won't be recommending them to potential customers.

Olfarty

Post by Olfarty »

Mortis57 wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2024 8:34 pm
PSC
Latest. PSC returned my email within 24 hrs. The story is that they having issues with the print quality of the 6mm scale items. In theory I'm now getting a small number of Tiger I (mid production variant) and some Elephants.

It also occurred to me that whilst window shopping online I have already seen some of the Bergman range - albeit printed in 1/100 scale. I had another look yesterday - there's some damn fine looking stuff in the Berman range. Now just to find a printer who will do Bergman stuff in 1/285...

Mortis57
E5

Post by Mortis57 »

Olfarty wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2024 4:16 am
Latest.
At least you've had a reply but they really should be better at communicating with their customers.
The story is that they having issues with the print quality of the 6mm scale items.
If all their original STLs are for 28mm then no wonder they're having issues.
albeit printed in 1/100 scale.
He offers (for free) his STLs in 1/100 and 1/200 on Thingiverse. Of course, you'll then need to know someone with a (resin ideally) 3d printer.

I've cobbled together a list of his stuff that I'm interested in. Hopefully Scotia will eventually release them all. Here they are in no particular order (other than by nation).

American
M26 Pershing (Only if the M45s are too different to my GHQ Pershings)
M45 Pershing (Ideally I'd like this at 1/285th to match my GHQ Pershings)
Priest Kangaroo

British
Valentine Bridgelayer
Alecto SPG
Assorted softskins
S-e-xton GPO (Censor bot strikes)

German
Landwasserschlepper (Yes I know GHQ does this but I'd like both full hull and waterline versions)
Springer

Italian
L3/33 / L3/35 (already released by Scotia)
M42 Carro Commando (in the next week or so I think)

Russian
SU-76i (It's the one one the Panzer III hull)

Olfarty

Post by Olfarty »

Mortis57 wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2024 5:12 am
Priest Kangaroo
I've acquired 3 x Priest Kangaroo from BPM - of note they are not supplied with a 50 cal - however they are very very nice and of course printed in the correct scale, being 1/285, not 1/300 :D

Olfarty

Post by Olfarty »

Theme: Water barriers (ie. getting across them). Second part – bridge-layers, continued…

Valentine Bridgelayer

Another DIY project (from about 14 years ago). I used multiple photos as a guide - such as this:

The major components were bridges from GHQ’s UK85 Churchill Bridgelayer & hulls from GHQ’s UK25 Valentine:

I decided on creating two versions of the bridge, the first deployed…

The second, folded….

The launch mechanisms had to be scratch-built. I decided on two in carrying mode and a third with the mechanism either just finished laying the bridge or about to pick up the bridge…

Ending up with two Valentine Bridgelayers on the move and one stationary. I remain pretty happy about the result, however these creations are too fragile for a games table – the fact they’ve survived 14 years (including a long distance house move) is a minor miracle!

The collection; UK85 Churchill Bridgelayer, G565 Pz IV Bridgelayer and a DIY Valentine Bridgelayer…

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Beautiful bridgelayers,Olfarty!

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

Awesome creations Olfarty! Really neat stuff you did.
Chris