Show us yer stuff!

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: GHQ, dnichols, Mk 1

Post Reply
WWIICentral
E5
Posts: 169
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:59 am
Contact:

Post by WWIICentral »

Thanks for the feedback guys, I appreciate the kind words. I'm afraid that there isn't much to a tutorial... so I guess in that regard, it might make many of you happy: very easy to achieve these results.

These are "far from finished" because I still need to apply a wash, highlight, paint details, add aircraft, varnish, etc.

These are base coated in a Sea Grey color, and then I applied my own custom decals for the deck... this decal holds all the detailing you see in the photo. In fact, there is wood planking that you can barely see in the original photo. I'm still working on building up my collection.

Image

Tutorial:

1. Base coat your carrier in your grey of preference - I used Vallejo Medium Sea Grey through my airbrush.
2. Apply gloss varnish (I used Glosscote)
3. Trim the decal, drop it in water, and slide it onto the deck

That's it so far :)

Tanner

DAVIDNOLA62
Posts: 59
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:05 am
Location: HOUSTON, TX

Post by DAVIDNOLA62 »

You'd make a mint selling those decals!!
A PhD means you're "intelligent", but not necessarily "smart". verytinywars.blogspot.com

Unfathomable
Posts: 71
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:17 pm
Location: Beyond the Horizon

Post by Unfathomable »

Well, WWIICentral - you know my thoughts from the Micronaut thread. I'd certainly be after those designs - and more advice on the rest of your process. You might not have been born to lead, but you have a responsibility to the people.
On balance, Jellicoe was probably right.

33YearsGHQ
E5
Posts: 618
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:27 pm
Location: Missouri

Tanner

Post by 33YearsGHQ »

Gosh darn it, would you please sell these decals! After you have done all of the work to create one, it should be fairly easy to replicate it. I have a 1/1250th scale ship collection and have purchased hundreds of dollar worth of decals from talented guys like you that initially created them for their own models. I know I would buy many dozens of these.

Excellent work!
Brad Anderson (enjoying GHQ since 1976)

ftm2kleszics
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:32 am
Location: Smithville Flats, N.Y.

Post by ftm2kleszics »

Impressive :!: I agree with everyone on the subject of your decals. You have a talent and flair for painting. Yes, I too would readily purchase those decals.

Brigade Commander
E5
Posts: 451
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:26 am

Post by Brigade Commander »

Tanner,

If you ever do deck decals of CV-2 through CV-8 sign me up! All I am looking for would be their Pennant Letters (not numbers at this time) and deck lines only. That would be awesome! I will paint the Deck Blue color myself. I am trying to be easy!!

Enough encouragement?? Operators are standing-by. Ready to purchase!

Oh, and absolutely fantastic work! Yes, I will not be posting pictures of mine. They are in a league of their own. Not ready for prime-time paint jobs that is. Cie la vie. :(
"It is a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the road and, if you do not keep your feet, there is no telling where you might be swept off to."

Bilbo Baggins to Frodo Baggins.

Panzer Commander
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:22 am
Location: Kansas

Post by Panzer Commander »

Oh my, Tanner! I'm gawking, and wishing I had some extra this month to get some carriers, just to try my hand at them!
All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing.
-Edmund Burke

WWIICentral
E5
Posts: 169
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:59 am
Contact:

Post by WWIICentral »

Thanks for the feedback guys, I'm doing my best to make these available... hang tight.

Brigade Commander, to answer some of your questions... these are actually done with the full deck design in mind. I don't own an ALPS printer so I can't print just white lines. These are done with a high resolution printer on White (Opaque) Decal paper so you'll have to apply the whole deck as a single decal.

This might limit some people who want to paint their own decks and then just apply the markings, but applying a single opaque decal over a light grey deck is FAST, and it looks pretty darn good IMHO. I have tried my best to match the USN Deck colors to 20-B Deck Blue, and the IJN Decks to Vallejo Medium Sea Grey.

If you look up above, you'll see that I have AV-3, CV-2, CV-5 (and CV-6 '42), CV-6 '44, and CV-8 so far. CV-3 and CV-7 are not too far off... as well as CV-9 and beyond.

Thanks again guys,
Tanner

cbovill
E5
Posts: 439
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:20 am
Location: Las Vegas, NV

Post by cbovill »

Tanner,

I can't avoid sounding like a broken record here, but those carriers and your decals leave me speechless! They are perfection! Unbelievable work! No one outside this forum would believe those are 1/2400th scale.

...and you don't have to sell them, they are selling themselves right now. Just give us the pricing info and the money will start flying in. The market is yours for the taking, no one else is offering anything. GHQ should be calling you right now to work out a deal. There is a need and these decals fill it.

Chris

Przemek Wieczorek
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:50 pm
Contact:

Post by Przemek Wieczorek »

Hello,

Some of my models which have prepered for Borhholm campain - hypothetical Polish attack on that island in 1982. We are after two battles now - the situation is not clear :)

Image
F-16

Image
Hughes OH-6 Cayuse armed with TOW

Image
Danish HQ. They are preparig for next battle now. Polish forces have just appered on radar screen.

Regards,
Przemek

DRPgeneral
E5
Posts: 104
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:13 am
Location: Texas

Post by DRPgeneral »

Wow¡ i feel jelous :lol: , can someone tell me what paint air brush i can get to detail my infantry¿

Panzer Commander
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:22 am
Location: Kansas

Post by Panzer Commander »

Just snapped a quick photo of my board before I leave, thought I'd share!

http://i.imgur.com/lgpf7nX.jpg

Link, because the picture is apparently huge.

Two Panthers and a (Not visible) Panzer IV hold off a Russian assault at a fork.
All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing.
-Edmund Burke

Mk 1
E5
Posts: 2383
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2004 3:21 am
Location: Silicon Valley, CA

Post by Mk 1 »

Hey PC, that board looks mighty fine! I would anticipate many entertaining hours spent on a board like that!

Oh, and you are right, the original photo is pretty big. Big enough for me to find a stand of German infantry (or maybe an HQ? Anyway, guys on foot.) that you did not mention. Are you holding out on us?

( :lol: :wink: )
-Mark 1
Difficile est, saturam non scribere.
"It is hard NOT to write satire." - Decimus Iunius Juvenalis, 1st Century AD

Panzer Commander
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:22 am
Location: Kansas

Post by Panzer Commander »

I'll try for more reasonable (And infantry revealing) pictures tomorrow!
As for the board, it's actually damaged because of the recent move. It's still in decent shape, and I've begun adding hedges and trees, an orchard here and there.
Basically my idea behind the layout was no large open spaces for long range armor engagements. Here, the infantryman reigns supreme!
All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing.
-Edmund Burke

Panzer Commander
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:22 am
Location: Kansas

Post by Panzer Commander »

My SLR won't turn on, so no amazing photos today... But I do have another quick one from my phone.

http://i.imgur.com/y81EakL.jpg

A pair of Panzer IV's move to engage with infantry support. Also, an 88 watches over the southbound road.
All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing.
-Edmund Burke

Post Reply