Show us yer stuff!
Moderators: GHQ, dnichols, Mk 1
-
Nazgul
- E5
- Posts: 343
- Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:24 pm
- Location: Mid Missouri
-
piersyf
- E5
- Posts: 625
- Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:59 pm
- Location: Melbourne Australia
Depends on the ink. I have used 'real' ink (Rotring ink) for the decks of ships. This Lutzow has ink on the decks and the rest done with Citadel 'ink wash'.

Vellejo have filters and washes, as do Tamiya.
They are all surface dependent. Acrylic wash on acrylic paint will bind (and stain), so flooding the model will darken the whole thing. Properly this is called a filter. It's mostly how I use them... I lighten the colours to compensate for the wash and end up with a nice finish. Alternately you can dry brush over the top with your base colour.
I have tried Tamiya enamel wash over acrylic paint. Once dry you can work the surface with a cotton bud dampened with mineral spirits and it lifts the excess wash and doesn't touch the paint. Spray clear coats are usually lacquer and once dry, should be safe for acrylics and enamels, but I don't have lots of experience with that.

Vellejo have filters and washes, as do Tamiya.
They are all surface dependent. Acrylic wash on acrylic paint will bind (and stain), so flooding the model will darken the whole thing. Properly this is called a filter. It's mostly how I use them... I lighten the colours to compensate for the wash and end up with a nice finish. Alternately you can dry brush over the top with your base colour.
I have tried Tamiya enamel wash over acrylic paint. Once dry you can work the surface with a cotton bud dampened with mineral spirits and it lifts the excess wash and doesn't touch the paint. Spray clear coats are usually lacquer and once dry, should be safe for acrylics and enamels, but I don't have lots of experience with that.
There is no right or wrong, only decisions and consequences.
-
Nazgul
- E5
- Posts: 343
- Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:24 pm
- Location: Mid Missouri
Thanks, I have been using enamels ever since I started painting my models in 1972. Just never got to experiment with acrylics and back then we didn't have a way to share information outside clubs or magazines. Even then acrylics were mentioned in hushed voices. I'm glad GHQ has this forum so that we can share our experiences and knowledge.
Beautiful work on the ships. If you can detail those you can detail anything
.
Beautiful work on the ships. If you can detail those you can detail anything
-
piersyf
- E5
- Posts: 625
- Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:59 pm
- Location: Melbourne Australia
You started about the same time I did then. Agreed on the info thing;my painting skills are WAY over what they were 5 or so years ago mostly from looking at what people have achieved and posted here. It's all been very inspirational, your scratch building included.
There is no right or wrong, only decisions and consequences.
-
PostHumanRepublican
- E5
- Posts: 138
- Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:39 am
- Location: Gulf Breeze, Florida
You guys have been painting a full decade longer than I have been alive lol. I no longer feel like I have any advice to give :p
My Blog (covers Micro Armor, Micronauts, hobby tricks, and step by step how tos)
http://omnijackalsden.blogspot.com/
http://omnijackalsden.blogspot.com/
-
PostHumanRepublican
- E5
- Posts: 138
- Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:39 am
- Location: Gulf Breeze, Florida
Ty for the kind words. Definitely convert things! It is honestly one of the best things about this hobby and 15 years ago when I played Warhammer 40k I had the coolest custom commanders and made everyone jealous. I can't post pictures yet (so hard to resist) but I am nearly finished with building 3 Nemerras which are the ARVs built on the Merkava 3 chassis. They would have been done today but I had to make a cast of some hatches and it needs to dry. They put my Merkava bridge layers to shame.
My Blog (covers Micro Armor, Micronauts, hobby tricks, and step by step how tos)
http://omnijackalsden.blogspot.com/
http://omnijackalsden.blogspot.com/
-
tstockton
- E5
- Posts: 715
- Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2005 10:55 pm
- Location: Indiana
- Contact:
piersyf,
Your GRAF SPEE and accompanying destroyer are outstanding! "You guys" really tempt me to move from my 1:1200 / 1:1250 scale ships and into the 1:2400 scale... well, "you guys" and the awesome models that GHQ produces!
I've used a ink wash in my HO scale model railroading, but only in black. It's such a common technique that the model railroaders call it "AI" - alcohol and ink, which is rubbing alcohol and India ink. But I've yet to try it on my 1:285 armor -- don't know why, I guess I'm just comfortable with my acrylic washes (paint, water and just a wee bit of dishwashing detergent to break the surface tension and help the wash sink in to the crevases and around fine details).
Thanks for sharing your pictures!
Regards,
Tom Stockton
Your GRAF SPEE and accompanying destroyer are outstanding! "You guys" really tempt me to move from my 1:1200 / 1:1250 scale ships and into the 1:2400 scale... well, "you guys" and the awesome models that GHQ produces!
I've used a ink wash in my HO scale model railroading, but only in black. It's such a common technique that the model railroaders call it "AI" - alcohol and ink, which is rubbing alcohol and India ink. But I've yet to try it on my 1:285 armor -- don't know why, I guess I'm just comfortable with my acrylic washes (paint, water and just a wee bit of dishwashing detergent to break the surface tension and help the wash sink in to the crevases and around fine details).
Thanks for sharing your pictures!
Regards,
Tom Stockton
"Well, I've been to one World's Fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones. You sure you got today's codes?"
-- Major T. J. "King" Kong in "Dr. Strangelove"
-- Major T. J. "King" Kong in "Dr. Strangelove"
-
Panzer Commander
- Posts: 54
- Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:22 am
- Location: Kansas
Hullo all! On the topic of washes, I recently found a Vallejo "Green Vehicle Weathering kit" that had two washes, some pigment, pigment binder, and a small gaggle of paints in it. It was very handy for painting up my new Russkies!

An ERA equipped T-72 stalks through the hedgerows!

A T-90 searches for its prey.

A pair of T-80's go on the hunt.
And finally:

A German Armored car for you WW2 fans out there.
And with that, I bid a fond farewell. Adios!
-Jonas

An ERA equipped T-72 stalks through the hedgerows!

A T-90 searches for its prey.

A pair of T-80's go on the hunt.
And finally:

A German Armored car for you WW2 fans out there.
And with that, I bid a fond farewell. Adios!
-Jonas
All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing.
-Edmund Burke
-Edmund Burke
-
Dog Smack
- E5
- Posts: 162
- Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:02 am
Well it has been a minute since I have posted a pic of anything on here, but I managed to get some pics taken.

M60A3 somewhere outside of NTC! This is the standard MERDC "Gray Desert" scheme.

M113 showing an alternate scheme using green instead of brown for the Gray Desert scheme.

M2 and M1 in standard forest green.

Lighting and terrain have yet to be updated so still dealing with what I have at the moment!
Enjoy
Steve

M60A3 somewhere outside of NTC! This is the standard MERDC "Gray Desert" scheme.

M113 showing an alternate scheme using green instead of brown for the Gray Desert scheme.

M2 and M1 in standard forest green.

Lighting and terrain have yet to be updated so still dealing with what I have at the moment!
Enjoy
Steve
-
exodusforever
- E5
- Posts: 141
- Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:21 am
- Location: Singapore
-
exodusforever
- E5
- Posts: 141
- Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:21 am
- Location: Singapore
-
BattlerBritain
- E5
- Posts: 628
- Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2005 7:00 pm
- Location: Somerset, UK