Show us yer stuff!

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

redleg
E5

Re: Show us yer stuff!

Post by redleg »

Holy smokes! Those are beautiful Cav Dog! Amazing work! The camo is superb - do you use a brush for the black and sand squigglies?

Guroburov
E5

Post by Guroburov »

Very cool MERDC Cav Dog. Gorgeous work.

Cav Dog
E5

Post by Cav Dog »

Thanks all

I used an airbrush to base coat US dark green and airbrushed field drab camo. I used a 10/0 brush to paint the sand squiggles and the black squiggles were added with a .1mm or .3 mm artist ink pen. The super duper iPhone 12 camera lightened the field drab as it is significantly browner than depicted. I suspect the lighting and green mat washed it out.

For wheels I usually use a dark gray or black artist's ink pen with a brush tip. It think it gives me more control than a paintbrush. I have also painted wheels with a brush using rubber/tire color from Vallejo Panzer Aces line and just did the best job I could and then gone back and repainted the hub as round as possible, although this can lead to a very time consuming cycle. I think that is why I went to the pens.
Tactics are the opinion of the senior officer present.

rdenman62
E5

Post by rdenman62 »

Absolutely one of the best MERDC paint jobs I’ve seen on this
Site. One question, could you point us in the direction of where you got the brush tip artist pens?
Peace thru superior firepower

Cav Dog
E5

Post by Cav Dog »

These are what I use. I got these at Blick art supplies but most art supply stores should carry them.

Tactics are the opinion of the senior officer present.

rdenman62
E5

Post by rdenman62 »

Thanks Cav Dog
Peace thru superior firepower

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

CavDog,
Wonderful MERDC, really like the airbrush technique.
Chris

BurtWolf
E5

Post by BurtWolf »

Great camo!!!
And good tip on the artists pens. I have lost eyesight trying to paint wheels let alone bogies...

E5

Post by 7.62 »

-
Last edited by 7.62 on Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Thanks for the info on the pans Cav Dog! I'm definitely going to go fid some of those!

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

I love it Mick! I'm going to improve upon that design and add a stone tower with a big flag at the top!

regia-marina
E5

Post by regia-marina »

"Have any of you tried Lifecolors grey-green? I'm getting ready to paint my Italians in their European uniforms but I find the Vallejo grey-green way too gray. Who knew that grey-green could be so complicated!"

Gentlemen, I am reposting this as I truly need some help. Sometimes things get buried fast on the forum but if anyone can help before I spend more money I'd appreciate it. Grazie!

Guroburov
E5

Post by Guroburov »

I wonder if you couldn't use German field grey. The m1936 uniform looks really close to the Italian grey green. Nevermind, Vallejo model color fieldgrey seems too dark and too grey. Vallejo Model Air Interior Green isn't bad. Or IJA light grey green from Model Air. I like Reaper Pale Lichen as the best match but that's just my 2 cents.

regia-marina
E5

Post by regia-marina »

Thank you Guroburov! I'll give those a shot. I may have to do some mixing too. I bit the bullet and ordered Lifecolors grey-green. I'll post a review when it shows up.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Not really much to look at yet, but I have started on phase II of my DD214 project. I'm still only halfway done with Phase I, but I'm not going to let some minor detail like that stop me!

My second unit (first active duty unit) was 2-17 FA at Camp Hovey and they were DS to 2nd Brigade / 2nd Infantry Division. 2nd Bde was (is?) the weird light/heavy hybrid brigade so the second tray in my box will have 1-503 IN (AASLT), 1-506 IN (AASLT), and 1-9 IN (Mech). I decided to just do the vehicles for the mech battalions and I'll do all the infantry for the air assault battalions. The DS artillery battalions will have their own trays in the box (5th and 6th trays).