Weathering camo

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

Extra Crispy
E5

Weathering camo

Post by Extra Crispy »

I use a color called "light chocolate" to dry brush my Russian tanks. Looks good I think. Not sure how to get the same effect on my German camo

http://www.deepfriedhappymice.com/asset ... IM2886.JPG

Would you use the same color or do something different? I'm just concerned it'll just make the model look flat instead of weathered.
Mark Severin
Owner, Scale Creep Miniatures
Author DeepFriedHappyMice.com

c50tdavid

Post by c50tdavid »

I have always used a sand or dust color to dry brush my camoed germans. You might even try white or antique white at this scale (very lightly though). These are just some ideas that I use. Generally I wash with brown or peat ink color and then drybrush the above colors. Hope this helps
Great people in history are said to be great by others, they dont go running around telling everyone how great they are.

Mk 1
E5

Post by Mk 1 »

I have recently painted up some Italian armor with Afrika Mustard, which is about as close as I get to German DunkelGelb. Some were camo'd with green, some with brown.

M13/40s done in plain Afrika Mustard.

AB41s and AB40s done with a base of Afrika Mustard, and with brown painted or green inked camo. Wash was done before the camo. A seperate wash of plain water was used to soften the camo edges (of the inked green). Dry-brushing was done after the camo and the washes.

I used a dark brown for my wash, and flesh for my dry brushing. Yep, flesh. Seemed to work OK.

On my next batch, I'm going to repeat with the dark brown wash. But I'm going to try Polly-S "Soviet Desert Sand", a very light, subdued yellow, for the dry-brushing.

I may get to it tonight. I'll post up some pic's when and if I do.
-Mark 1
Difficile est, saturam non scribere.
"It is hard NOT to write satire." - Decimus Iunius Juvenalis, 1st Century AD

vicvolta

Flesh is king

Post by vicvolta »

Yep! Flesh works just fine as a fine drybrush for fx. "sandy" colors. I just finished painting my Panzer IV's and i tried a superfine drybrush of boltgun metal here and there. The result was a nice metallic weathering, especially on the armor shields on the side =)

My basic technique for painting tanks and such are:

1. Base coat of black. (Why - I dont really know. Old habit I guess)
2. 'Brutal' drybrush of neutral color (fx. dark grey if painting panzers in pnzergrau or Olive Green if painting fx. Shermans).
3. A little finer drybrush of a lightened version of neutral color.
4. Inking/Washing. I use black ink for cold colors and dark brown for warm ones. Ex. dark brown ink for panzer gelb and black ink for panzer grau.
5. Fine drybrush with very light. Flesh works great with panzer gelb for instance.
6. Ultra fine drybrush with bolt gun metal on metallic parts that could be worn down.
7. Dark flesh (GW) + boltgun metal for tracks.

Happy Painting =)