IDF colors

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

ikara198

IDF colors

Post by ikara198 »

Which is the closest color for IDF vehicles, i am using tamiya paint so a reference number from that range would be great
cheers

voltigeur
E5

Post by voltigeur »

Depends on the era and theatre.

For my Patturions I used Howard hues "Geo Hex Tan" Used white marking with a medium grey for the canas cover on the amulet. I was quite pleased with the results.
I pray for Peace on Earth Good will toward men. Till then one round HE fire for Effect!

ikara198

Post by ikara198 »

I think they recently went to a kahki drab for most of their stuff but the khaki drab in tamiya seems a little to tan ond not green enough- could be wrong here anyone confirm?

kgpanzer
E5

Post by kgpanzer »

ikara198 wrote:I think they recently went to a kahki drab for most of their stuff but the khaki drab in tamiya seems a little to tan ond not green enough- could be wrong here anyone confirm?
My thought would be to look at recent IDF forces on the net and see how it looks and compare to what paints you have...you might have to mix some colors to get the best and close pattern

Ar

DrBig
E5

Post by DrBig »

Lifecolor sells the '82 IDF color, and I have determined that there is no match in Humbrol, or Testors MM enamels. Don't know about Tamiya. I'd suggest Lifecolor anyway, as it's much easier to brush paint with; I find Tamiya very annoying on the brush.

Gort
E5

Post by Gort »

ikara198 wrote:I think they recently went to a kahki drab for most of their stuff but the khaki drab in tamiya seems a little to tan ond not green enough- could be wrong here anyone confirm?
I paint primarily with Tamiya and I think that the current formulation of XF-51 khaki drab is pretty much a dead ringer for the israeli vehicles currently in use. The green/grey colour looks perfect after a blackwash and drybrushing with a light sand colour.

regards

Steve

ikara198

Post by ikara198 »

thanks all, i went down the xf-51 route, they look pretty good- once you weather them and dust em up a little. Once these vehicles get out and about on ops the coloring changes prettty quickly, from my own experience with M113 and Lepoard they tend to get caked in dust and dirt and after the first day in the bush so base colors really only need to be approximate afterall you hardly ever see a factory fresh AFV tooling round the battlefield.

kgpanzer
E5

Post by kgpanzer »

Question...what procedures do you use to dust minis?

thanks
AR

ikara198

Post by ikara198 »

i used to dry brush but it is sort of hit and miss for me so i use my aztec spray gun and lightly mist some buff or light yellow. Really helpful when you hand paint camo as it gives it a blended sprayed on look. Usually i mix 50 percent paint 50 percent thinner (tamiya thinner). This is done after a black or soot wash- use nato black for this thinned down with water. final coat is a flat varnish
[img]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/john/Desktop/t80.jpg[/img]

ikara198

Post by ikara198 »

i will post pics once i work out how

kgpanzer
E5

Post by kgpanzer »

I know about dry brushing / and a thin wash of thinner or water down black....was not sure if there is a dusting method on top of it...

ikara198

Post by ikara198 »

the dusting is that light spray of tan, almost transparent but it really ads that final touch

kgpanzer
E5

Post by kgpanzer »

have to look more into that...is it any brand type etc of tan?