Bundeswehr Thread

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

BattlerBritain
E5

Post by BattlerBritain »

Quick question for the Bundeswehr experts out there. I'm looking at improving my old GHQ Bundeswehr force but when I originally collected them the Bundeswehr were using a plain green camouflage colour (shows how old they are!).

Question: When did the Bundeswehr start switching over to the 3-tone camo pattern?

Was it mid-to-late 80s?

I can find lots of examples of the 3-tone pattern but not a lot on dates.

Cheers,

Battler

av8rmongo
E5

Post by av8rmongo »

I believe mid to late 80's is correct. Let me look to see what I can find for you.

Paul
“It's a beautiful thing, the destruction of words.â€￾
― George Orwell, 1984

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
- George Orwell

http://av8rmongo.wordpress.com

av8rmongo
E5

Post by av8rmongo »

I found some references for the new patterns as early as '83, for support vehicles. I would venture to guess now that the new pattern was decided upon in the late 70's -early '80's and was probably in place by the mid '80's with vehicles getting repainted as they went through maintenance periods. I'll keep looking for something more definitive.

Paul
― George Orwell, 1984

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
- George Orwell

BattlerBritain
E5

Post by BattlerBritain »

Cheers Dood - sounds about right.

I'm looking to do some 1985-ish battles so I'd better get practising on that 3-tone scheme.

av8rmongo
E5

Post by av8rmongo »

Here's a link that should help you out.

http://www.panzerbaer.de/colours/index.htm

Paul
― George Orwell, 1984

- George Orwell

av8rmongo
E5

Post by av8rmongo »

Someone asked a question on TMP about the Brigade Jaguar AT company. Does anyone know whether this unit fights as a unit or is it parceled out to the other battalions/companies? I got lots of TO&E info but none of that explains how they were employed.

Paul
― George Orwell, 1984

- George Orwell

Ben
E5

Post by Ben »

Hi Paul,

inetersting question - sorry do not know the answer...
I will ask someone who should know better, give me some time.
Did you have a look at the book of which I sent you a link?

Cheers Ben

Ben
E5

Post by Ben »

Hi Paul,

asked a friend but I only received info on the Jaguar Pl attached to the sKp of the PzGrenBtl from the mid 90s so far.
Those are also gone since 6-7 years and nowadays the BW has no Jaguars left :( .

Maybe I have more info tomorrow.

Cheers Ben

av8rmongo
E5

Post by av8rmongo »

Germany will be building Overhead Weapons Stations (OWS) - think Stryker - for their wheeled AFVs. They will be developing alight system of about 100kg mounting either a 5.56mm or 7.62mm MG. They expect to purchase up to 573 units (273 with an option for 300 more). They will also develop a heavy version armed with either the H&K 40mm AGL or the M2 .50 cal MG. The heavy OWS will be installed on some of the Boxer 8X8 AFVs.

K-MW has bid its new generation FLW 100 and FLW 200 OWS for this contract and Rheinmetall is offering its new 609 P and L systems (developed with the Norwegian Kongsberg company).

These systems will have day and thermal sights, weapon stabilization and full under armor protection for the gunner.

Looks like we can upgrade our fleets of Boxers, Dingos, Mungos and G-Wagens. Oh wait no one has made those yet. Well sorry for the useless information.

Paul
― George Orwell, 1984

- George Orwell

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

av8rmongo wrote:Germany will be building Overhead Weapons Stations (OWS) - think Stryker - for their wheeled AFVs. They will be developing alight system of about 100kg mounting either a 5.56mm or 7.62mm MG. They expect to purchase up to 573 units (273 with an option for 300 more). They will also develop a heavy version armed with either the H&K 40mm AGL or the M2 .50 cal MG. The heavy OWS will be installed on some of the Boxer 8X8 AFVs.

K-MW has bid its new generation FLW 100 and FLW 200 OWS for this contract and Rheinmetall is offering its new 609 P and L systems (developed with the Norwegian Kongsberg company).

These systems will have day and thermal sights, weapon stabilization and full under armor protection for the gunner.

Looks like we can upgrade our fleets of Boxers, Dingos, Mungos and G-Wagens. Oh wait no one has made those yet. Well sorry for the useless information.

Paul

Hopefully, the boxers, dingos, glenda-wagens will be produced. A lot of new vehicles coming out the last few years and to be introduced over the next few years. Gonna have to get some more money for those.

That raises a question, what do I do with the old stuff? Guess I should keep it since I have too much of it, and other play WW2, I can play 1980's & 1990's: Cold War and Post Cold War.

pit

Post by pit »

For all who like the Bundeswehr here are some nice action-pictures:

best regards
pit

av8rmongo
E5

Post by av8rmongo »

For those who are a fan of the big cat the April Jane's International Defence Review list the following export users of the Leopard 2A4 (or variant thereof).

Chile 136
Denmark 57
Finland 124
Greece 183
Poland 128
Singapore 96
Spain 108
Sweden 160
Turkey 298
Switzerland 35 (from GE) / 345 licensed prod.
Austria 114 (from NL)
Canada 80 (from NL)
Norway 57 (from NL)

Paul
― George Orwell, 1984

- George Orwell

pit

Post by pit »

Some more in formations about this "cat":

Chile (ex GE Leopard 2A4) - Leopard 2 A4CHL
Canada (least GE Leopard 2 A6M in the future ex NL Leopard 2 A4 and A6)
Denmark (ex GE Leopard 2 A4 updated to Leopard 2 A5DK)
Finland (ex GE leoprad 2 A4)
Greece (will buy new Leopard 2 A6)
Turkey (ex GE leopard 2 A4)
Austria (ex NL leopard 2 A4)
Portugal (exNL Leopard 2 A6)
Norway (ex NL leopard 2 A4)
Poland (ex GE leopard 2A4)
Singapore (ex GE leopard 2 A4)
Spain (ex Leopard 2 A6)
Sweden (version similar to Leopard 2 A5 but better amour protection)
Swiss ( version similar to Leopard 2 A4)
Germany (Leopard 2 A5 / A6/ A6M)
Netherlands (Leopard 2 A6)

pit