Bundeswehr Thread

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

redleg
E5

Bundeswehr Thread

Post by redleg »

I'm going to start on a modern German force soon so I am sure to have lots of questions for the experts out there. But first I'd like to get my hands on some field manuals, if that's even possible. Anybody know if modern German field manuals are available, either hard copy or digits (digits prefered, but I'll take whatever I can get). Are there any other sources of modern German doctrine out there?

-Mike
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

av8rmongo
E5

Post by av8rmongo »

Great thread idea. Unfortunately, I can't help with your request, but I'm very curious to get the results myself.

Paul
“It's a beautiful thing, the destruction of words.â€￾
― George Orwell, 1984

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
- George Orwell

http://av8rmongo.wordpress.com

kgpanzer
E5

Post by kgpanzer »

av8rmongo wrote:Great thread idea. Unfortunately, I can't help with your request, but I'm very curious to get the results myself.

Paul
I tried to get foreign manuals before and it is extremely hard....you have to know someone who knows someone who lives in germany...the germans are not easy to publish manuals as the US military for public use

Ben
E5

Post by Ben »

Hi all,

here he comes 8) ...
Have to say that I do not have any BW manuals on hand except a book with all the basic infos a German soldier "needs". It is called "Reibert" and includes Basic structure, some infos from manuals when it comes to small arms and so on.
I also have some of the (already mentioned in other topics) Tankograd and Fahrzeug books. Furthermore there are some other books, especially on German Army vehicles, in my archive.
You will find some general info on www.panzerbaer.de as well and I know that our forum mate Thomas is running a TO/E webpage including infos on the BW.

If you have any question on a vehicle or what so ever - do not hestitate to contact me, I will look how I may can help you. (I will be on holiday in IL from 07.09. - 28.09.2006)

Best greetings,
Ben

PS: Paul I read on the forum you purchased some Tankograd paperbacks - I hope you are happy with that stuff.

kgpanzer
E5

Post by kgpanzer »

Ben

thanks for those links...very informative, even with my german reading ability is poor at best I was able to get a grasp on what I was reading.

Since you are in germany and obvious a gamer of micro armor....you might be able to answer a question for me please. I was told a good while ago that in germany it is hard to get WW2 micro armor to buy and not really legal but more so frowned upon if you displayed it....is this true at all?

Thanks
Ar

Cav Dog
E5

Post by Cav Dog »

(I will be on holiday in IL from 07.09. - 28.09.2006)

Ben,

If you are in the Chicago area while on holiday, there is a very good game store in Mount Prospect, (one of the Northwest Suburbs) that stocks most GHQ, some CinC, plus game accessories and Vallejo paint. it is called Games-Plus.

http://www.games-plus.com/
Tactics are the opinion of the senior officer present.

voltigeur
E5

Post by voltigeur »

I have a question for Ben. As I try to make my WARPAC scenarios more realistic one of the things that keeps popping up is that in many cases the first Nato units that can respond to a border incursion are the Territorial Heer.

I have a great book on the Panzer Grenadiers mounted in Marders but what is the major different in the territorials. What I'm wanting to study is how a territorial unit defending a small village would affect say 11ACR or 2nd Jager as they move to meet a Soviet thrust. Especially if the 2 Nato forces are not talking to each other.

I know, I know I'm being ** CENSORED ** :lol:
I pray for Peace on Earth Good will toward men. Till then one round HE fire for Effect!

Ben
E5

Post by Ben »

Hi mates,

the topic is developing well isn't it.?
I am sitting here having nice Beck's beer - sooner or later looking like this :lol: :roll: :P ...
But let's get on with more serious stuff.

@kgpanzer:
Thanks for your positive reply. About the WW2 German Micro Armour, what you've been told sounds like a fairytale to me. I am collecting GHQ since many years now and WW2 German stuff was always available (and wasn't illegal from what I know - but nevertheless we sometimes have some strange laws over here. I suppose you will have such laws in the US too?.) and it still is at all retailers which I know.
On the other hand I am collecting UK modern only plus some OPFOR, while my friend is after German modern.

@CavDog:
Visiting the USA would be a nice task for the future. I fear I haven't been clear writing IL - I meant Israel :oops:

@voltigeur:
To tell the truth - I am to young to give you a correct answer on your question. Born in 1978 I served 97/98 with the BW (National Service only). But my dad was Sgt from 77 to 80 - I will ask him.
From what I know Teritorial Heer units where not intended for frontline use but for securing rear areas. This could well have been different in some areas of Germany.
They were mostly equipped with older equipment and vehicles (e.g. they have been the last users of M-48, if I remember right until the early 90s).
Jäger units in general were often equipped with Unimogs (Unimog S-404B and later U-1300) - so called Jäger mot. Some Jäger units also received TPz-1 Fuchs APCs - if I go right there are/were such units in the GE/FR Bde.

Best greetings from Hannover,
Ben

Ben
E5

Post by Ben »

Just an example of the German Soldiers equipment (1997, Transport Bn):

The camo field uniform was nice (still have a set of it), the boots as well (now they have a newer model but I prefer the ones I had), hidden under the camo there is the combat helmet (Kevlar model - nice), my G-3 was dated 1968 but still shooting well and the webbing was bull**** (the same stuff my dad had, esepecially the belt wasn't suited very well for field action).

Cheers mates,
Ben

kgpanzer
E5

Post by kgpanzer »

Ben wrote:Hi mates,

the topic is developing well isn't it.?
I am sitting here having nice Beck's beer - sooner or later looking like this :lol: :roll: :P ...
But let's get on with more serious stuff.

@kgpanzer:
Thanks for your positive reply. About the WW2 German Micro Armour, what you've been told sounds like a fairytale to me. I am collecting GHQ since many years now and WW2 German stuff was always available (and wasn't illegal from what I know - but nevertheless we sometimes have some strange laws over here. I suppose you will have such laws in the US too?.) and it still is at all retailers which I know.
On the other hand I am collecting UK modern only plus some OPFOR, while my friend is after German modern.

Best greetings from Hannover,
Ben
I been to Germany twice...once for a military exercise and back in late 2003 north of Munich to a historical site...I loved Germany...also both my daughters are living there. I was not sure if WW2 items of anytype are legal or not.....maybe someday we can battle iit out.... :lol:

av8rmongo
E5

Post by av8rmongo »

Ben,

Good to see you back on the forum haven't heard from you in a while.

Paul
― George Orwell, 1984

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
- George Orwell

Ben
E5

Post by Ben »

Hi all,

I have been on an Open Day of the German Army Engineers this weekend.
One sample photo for you:
A British M-3 Ferry, loaded with a German Marder 1 A5 AIFV, crossing the Weser river

@Paul:
I often look around here but sometimes I have nothing useful to share and do not want to wreck the nerves with bla-bla...
Have to say that I am very happy you remember me :D ! Did you like the Tankograd publications, which did you buy? I recently bought one of their newest one dealing with modern Italian vehicles and the newest Fahrzeug which is about the current generation of German Army vehicles.

Beste Grüße aus Hannover,
Ben

av8rmongo
E5

Post by av8rmongo »

Ben,

Great picture, send more please! I got a hold of tweo Tankograd books, one on recovery vehicles and one on the early years of the modern German army. I like them very much but the copies I have are fairly beat up and not the first subjects I would have chosen if I had better access to more titles.

Voltigeur,

I have a TO&E for Territorial units of the mid 80's if you're interested. I keep forgetting to upload it to Thomas' TO&E site but maybe I can get to it tonight. Its actually the work of Ferret701 on this forum, covers all of NATO - very impressive body of work.

Paul
― George Orwell, 1984

- George Orwell