steel paper

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

kgpanzer
E5

steel paper

Post by kgpanzer »

Hey I have question..hopefully someone on here can answer. Anyone know where I can find steel paper to be used for base mounting? I checked my local hobby and finer craft stores like michaels and no luck....

thanks
Ar

CountRingworm

Post by CountRingworm »

i was actually looking at this tonight at Lowe's. in the aisle where they have angle iron, diamond plate, and all that other good stuff they have various sizes and gauges of sheet steel.

the one i was looking at was a 6"x18" sheet of 22 ga steel for $4.63. i'd say it's no more than 1mm thick, probably thinner. it barely flexes. the only concern i'd have is cutting it (probably a tin snips would work fine) and making sure i don't sever an artery on the sharp edge left behind.

i'm considering getting some and using it as a base with some magnets glued to the underside of my vehicles.

tstockton
E5

Post by tstockton »

Sometimes, you see things that you just know will come in handy, even though you may not know what for...

I seem to recall a product -- can't recall the name though, but it was something like "Liquid Tool Handle". The idea was that you would dip the handle of a tool into a can of said liquid, then suspend the tool to dry... When it dried, the coating would provide a colorful (as I recall, it was red), non-slip, "at least partially electrically insulated" handle on said tool.

Flash forward, back to the present...

Hmmm... what if you cut your steel into the size you wanted for your base -- "superglue" it onto the head of a nail -- dip in the "Liquid Tool Handle" -- stick nail into styrofoam block and let dry -- spray paint in a neutral or tan color and let dry again -- "pop" coated steel piece off nail head -- apply scenic texture, etc. -- attach model and/or figures -- and put into play.

It seems to me the "Liquid Tool Handle" would cover any sharp edges caused in the cutting process, thus leaving the base pieces relatively safe for handling. One potential problem -- would paint, etc., adhere to the base, coated with "Liquid Tool Handle"?

Maybe someone knows more about this "stuff" than I do... (maybe -- HA! most certainly!!)

Food for thought -- and discussion...

Regards,
Tom Stockton
"Well, I've been to one World's Fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones. You sure you got today's codes?"

-- Major T. J. "King" Kong in "Dr. Strangelove"

Paul B
E5

Post by Paul B »

Tom,

The Liquid tool handle is available from micromark.
Go for Broke!!
Paul

Extra Crispy
E5

Post by Extra Crispy »

May I humbly suggest that if you want steel/magnetic bases you buy them pre-cut? They're really pretty cheap and have no sharp edges. Wargame Accessories will even do custom size packs, as will Fox Bases, who make pre-cut magnetic bases (they'll even spray paint them brown no extra charge!).
Mark Severin
Owner, Scale Creep Miniatures
Author DeepFriedHappyMice.com

kgpanzer
E5

Post by kgpanzer »

thanks for those ideas.....
Ar

Pitfall
E5

Post by Pitfall »

Yeah, I bought a pack of 1"x1" steel bases not too long ago. I think I got about 30 for $4.95
I wish I had something witty to say...

CountRingworm

Post by CountRingworm »

Thanks, extra crispy- i had saw those bases at scale creep and made a mental note to grab some.

unfortunately for my mental note taking process i forgot about them til you mentioned it. i'll have to order a set or two :)