Panzerblitz Panzer Leader

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

Ritter
E5

Panzerblitz Panzer Leader

Post by Ritter »

Anyone here play Panzerblitz or Panzerleader with 1/285th scale minis? I have only ever played Arab Israeli Wars about 25 years ago. Are the rules worth doing up some miniatures to go with the counters? Can it be played on Terrainmaker hexes? Any thoughts on this?

Troy

Gort
E5

Post by Gort »

PB-PL-AIW were the very first rules that I played minis with back in the 70s. Haven't played them in about 3 or 4 years tho. If memory serves I was playing PB-PL with the AIW movement, arty, and morale mods and it played OK.

At one time I entertained the thought of reproducing the mapboards (and some from ASL as well) with Terrain Maker - until I did the math and figured out that each board would measure 40in x 110in. I just don't have that much space available. But that's not to say it couldn't be done by building a resonable facsimile of the boards with Terrain Maker, but using a different scale. The rules will still work with distances being measured in inches instead of hexes.

Some time back I found this site with new and expanded counters and maps. The maps especially have proven useful for some games that I have played - and not just PB-PL.
http://www.imaginative-strategist.layfigures.com/

regards

Steve

tanker

Post by tanker »

Panzer Blitz was the first war game I ever encountered back in the early 70s. Panzer Leader followed a couple years after. But I never played them with minis. How do you modify the rules for one tank = one tank? Or do you do like GHQ does and use a single mini to represent a squad or company?

Personally I like the one to one games rules. For me it's more nitty gritty and I like the detail of close up combat rather than large scale tactical warfare. Brings me closer to the battlefield as it were. But that's just me, and I don't get out much. :)

Tanker
"An armored division is like a tuxedo. You don't need one often, but when you do nothing else will suffice." - quote heard at a meeting of the JCoS

kgpanzer
E5

Post by kgpanzer »

Gort thanks for that link....
Ar

saxophone
E5

Post by saxophone »

There are alternatives to using Terrain Maker. Since Gort did the calculations for 4 inch hexes, I'll go with his numbers. The most number of units you can stack in a hex is 4. If might be able to squeeze in 4 miniatures in a 2 inch hex. I say "might" since I haven't tried it. (If you play PanzerBlitz, then the stacking limit is 3.) There is a company that produces a template that will allow you to spray paint 2" hex vertices on a mat. I won't give out the name because this is a GHQ forum, but if you're interested, you can contact me directly.

Anyway, with a 2 inch hex, a single board dimension becomes 20" x 55" (using Gort's numbers). If you place 3 boards next to each other, that gives you 60" x 55" or 5 feet by 4 and half feet. That is certainly workable. End to end layouts are more unwieldy since will be 165"x20" or almost 14 feet by less than 2 feet.

Ritter
E5

Post by Ritter »

A truly great site there Gort! The maps can be printed out using banner option and scale out nicely! I can fit 4 or so minis into each hex. A quick alternative to setting up the hexes!

Thanks for the info.

Troy