A question about Airbrushing.

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

SeaHarrier2006

A question about Airbrushing.

Post by SeaHarrier2006 »

Hi everyone,

I have finally decided to splash out and buyt myself an Airbrush. The question is How thick should the paint be when using the airbrush to get the best results? I use Humbrol Enamel paints to paint my ships, so would like some advice on paint thining please.

Many thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.

Mark. (SeaHarrier2006)
England expects every man will do his duty.

Admiral Horatio Nelson, at the Battle of Trafalger October 21st 1805.

cbovill
E5

Post by cbovill »

Haven't tried Humbrol, and I've heard they may be going extinct. I have tried Tamaya and they work very well in my airbrush when thinned at least a third with alcohol. Polly-S don't work very well in my airbrush as they have too much grit that clogs the nozzle. I've used Testors Enamels and thinned them down a third with paint thinner and they work fine. Howard Hues seem too thick and gritty - I haven't tried them yet. Overall the Tamaya paint has worked the best, no grit, good consistency, thins well, many color choices and I can always find a hobby shop that carries their full line.

jb
E5

Post by jb »

cbovill wrote:Haven't tried Humbrol, and I've heard they may be going extinct. I have tried Tamaya and they work very well in my airbrush when thinned at least a third with alcohol. Polly-S don't work very well in my airbrush as they have too much grit that clogs the nozzle. I've used Testors Enamels and thinned them down a third with paint thinner and they work fine. Howard Hues seem too thick and gritty - I haven't tried them yet. Overall the Tamaya paint has worked the best, no grit, good consistency, thins well, many color choices and I can always find a hobby shop that carries their full line.
I haven't "shot" Humbrol in a long time,but it works wonderful for airbrushing. I usually try to get the consistancy of milk,2%,of course...
Valejo also has a line of paints made exclusively for airbrushing,I think they work wonderful.
I've also used Model Master with great results.
Once again milk cosistancy when "thinning". In most cases this doesn't take much thinning medium to do...
I agree about shooting the Poly-S,it clogs very easily.
Here is a quick picture of some M60A1s I've been working on. They were shot with Model Master Gren Drab FS34086
John

SeaHarrier2006

Post by SeaHarrier2006 »

Thanks for that guys, I will have an experiment, and see what comes of it.

Mark. SeaHarrier2006
England expects every man will do his duty.

Admiral Horatio Nelson, at the Battle of Trafalger October 21st 1805.