Noob checking in...

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

madDdog67

Noob checking in...

Post by madDdog67 »

Howdy folks...just thought I'd say hello from scenic, rainy Northern VA.

I just ordered a batch of GHQ minis. I've had 5 PzK IVs that I bought a couple of years ago sitting around, and I decided to get a little more serious. I painted them up (not very well, I'm afraid), based them, and did up a half dozen terrain hexes from the pack I bought at the same time as the minis.

I've terrain making video on order as well, but I'm sure I'll have some questions at some point, and I'm sure the knowledge of the folks here will come in very handy.

What do you guys use for your rules? I'm looking for something about halfway between FoW and ASL in complexity...maybe ASL starter kit-ish lol. What I'd like to be able to do is be able to play a game that my buddies won't need a PhD. in Aerospace Engineering to play, but goes past Warhammer/FoW style of play. How is the Micro Armor rule set in terms of complexity?
"Life springs from death, and from the graves of patriot men and women spring live nations."
Patrick H. Pearse

jb
E5

Post by jb »

Welcome aboard ,Mad dog.
Micro is the way to go...
John

Xveers

Post by Xveers »

Caveat: I haven't actually played the GHQ rules yet...

GHQ:
The GHQ rules look somewhat simpler than FOW, if just because there isn't a collection of hit/penetration/save/save rolls for each shot. It's more of a cascade based on how well you hit IE a first hit will suppress, a sold enough hit after that will disorganize, and a third solid hit will destroy. Movement and artillery look straightforward, and the book also comes with low level OOBs to help set up realistic formations. There really is no distinction in combat readiness besides good/suppressed/disorganized/dead.

Game comes in a nice softcover rulebook, but it's a bit of a pain to have to fold a book into a copier to have cheatsheats.

Mein Panzer:
Haven't played it, but it looks interesting.

Schwere Kompanie:
This I've played. It uses a reasonably complex, yet not cumbersome system of shooting. Targets have various armor ratings for hull and turret (inc front and sides). You roll to hit (with modifiers for terrain, visibility, etc) and then to penetrate (with mods for shell, if it's HEAT or APCR and caliber, cause long range shots do lose penetrative ability). Movement is simple, with various veichles given different amounts of action points to move.

There is also more detail with unit status, which includes running tanks unbuttoned (and losing crew to small arms fire), having them disabled but functional, actually having crews bail out (useful for campaigns) and some infantry squads have the option of splitting off a scout squad temporarily. Injured squads can also recombine to have fully functional squads. As an additional bonus, different armies have slightly different infantry costs and effectiveness. A German HMG is far superior to any other HMG, but costs more "points", whereas russian infantry squads are somewhat cheaper than anyone elses (as I recall).

The rules come as a collection of PDFs that allow only what you need to be printed out as you go. There's a two page section for each country, as well as one for turn order and action examples (shooting, hand to hand, artillery etc), and a third two-page section for terrain movement costs.

madDdog67

Post by madDdog67 »

Schwere Kompanie was one that I looked at before, when I first got the GHQ stuff. I d/led the Panzer War rules last night...the price was right. :D

I hear good stuff about the Battlefront rules, but don't remember if it's the scale I want.

Thanks for the input...I'll have to check a couple of these out. The good news is most of these rules are pretty cheap.
"Life springs from death, and from the graves of patriot men and women spring live nations."
Patrick H. Pearse