Can you do Mutiplayer with the ACW rules?

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

Sierra 19

Can you do Mutiplayer with the ACW rules?

Post by Sierra 19 »

Hello fellow GHQ'ers! I am going to delve into a new historical period for our gaming group, and I've settled on either the ACW, or Napoleonics. So I want to know how well the Microforce ACW rules support multiplayer games. It would be between 3-6 people per side. So is it doable with the GHQ rules as is, or do you need to do some rules tweaking? Thanks for the help! :D

dnichols
E5

Post by dnichols »

The Micro Force: ACW rules work very well for multi-player with no modifications. Most of the playtest games that I ran were all multiplayer. Each player would command a brigade, which gave them a brigade command figure (themselves) 4-6 regiments and most times a battery. Even 6 player games were done in about 3 hours. Perfect for game clubs.

The only suggestion I would make, is to use the optional alternate turn sequence as outlined in section 8.1. This optional rule was included to help make the posturing of units faster for larger games or multi-player games.

Best wishes for your venture into a new historical period. :-)
Daryl L Nichols Jr
Designer
Micro Force: The Game - American Civil War

Sierra 19

Post by Sierra 19 »

Thanks for the quick resonse! Now anther question. With wanting to order the rules and at least one "army" at the same time, what are the "typical" requirements for a force in the game. Basically I want to know how many packs of skirmishers, infantry, artillery, calvary, ect to buy to get the ball rolling. Also, Is there a painting section/guide included, and can you tell me about basing requirements for the different troop types? Our group does 15mm ACW with some home brewed rules, but I want to use more "structured" rules, to enable faster play. Thanks! 8)

10mmACW

Post by 10mmACW »

Well you can put 7-8 inf figs on a 1"x3/4" base and that represents 70-80men so a regt would be 3 to 5 stands. A GHQ pack is 26 figs so about 5 packs should get you an Inf bde of 4 regts. Get an art pack thats two guns plus 12 figs and that would be a two section battery for the rules. That should be good enough for one player to command at first. The rule book has about 10-11 scenario's in it and for a painting guide, get online and look up some various Civil War artists. (I like Keith Rocco). I hope this helps.
"...government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from the earth."

Abraham Lincoln, November 19, 1863, The Gettysburg Address.

dnichols
E5

Post by dnichols »

Nicely said 10mmACW.

The only other thing I would suggest would be some mounted leader figures to represent the brigade commanders.
Daryl L Nichols Jr
Designer

Sierra 19

Post by Sierra 19 »

Thanks for all of the info! I'm assuming the alternate move rule replaces a simultaneous move rule, where you place orders, then flip them up at the beginning of the turn?

So 5 packs of infantry, a pack of guns, and a commander pack (it's GHQ equivalent), and I'm set then? It sounds like a nice rule set, I'll have to put it on my X-MAS list. By the way, is there a Yahoo group or something, to discuss the game?

dnichols
E5

Post by dnichols »

I should clarify that the 5 packs, a pack of guns and mounted leaders would give you a Brigade for one side. You would need 2 of that set, one for CSA, one for USA. Here's hoping Santa brings you everything on your Christmas list.

There is currently a Yahoo Group for all GHQ rules discussion:

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/GHQ_Wargames/
Daryl L Nichols Jr
Designer