Matching GHQ products to German TO&E in WW2 Micro Armour

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

Ooh Rah

Matching GHQ products to German TO&E in WW2 Micro Armour

Post by Ooh Rah »

I have GHQ's game "WW2 Micro Armour" and am trying to figure out which product numbers to purchase and in what quantities in order to acquire the German units listed in the TO&E in the rulebook.

For example on page 54, the rulebook lists the 1939-1940 German TO&E. The first unit listed is Command Center and it includes the following:
1xGHQ, 1xRecon Infantry [R], 1xKubelwagon, 1xLt Truck, 1xPzIIf[R]

But which GHQ product numbers should be purchased to acquire the units that make up a command center? I could find a Kubelwagon in G40 but does G40 include any of the other units in a command center? Also, I could find medium trucks and standard trucks (G25, G37, and G514) but no light trucks. Does it matter? Finally, the closest match to the PzIIf is G114. But the GHQ catalog says this unit was used in Russia and North Africa, and those campaigns were AFTER 1939-1940. Is G114 correct for the PzIIf in 1939-1940?

I have similar problems figuring out which product numbers to purchase for the other German units EXCEPT the Armored Car Company. That one I could figure out. Is there a cross-reference somewhere? Thanks in advance.

Extra Crispy
E5

Post by Extra Crispy »

Hello RO:

The GHQ packs are usually 5 vehicles per pack and are not sold in pre-packed units. So if you need one Kubelwagen for a unit, you'll need to buy a pack of 5. Or you can barter/swap with others here.

Alternatively, take a look at their "Combat Commands" as a way to get a force started. they usually include a nice mix so you can get some of those one-off vehicles.
Mark Severin
Owner, Scale Creep Miniatures
Author DeepFriedHappyMice.com

Gort
E5

Post by Gort »

Ooh Rah

If it was me:

GHQ : If a vehicle, then I would use one from G77 Kfz 15/17, or maybe one from G79 Command Pack. The latter contains 3 of the 1500 (1.5 ton) cars with the folding canvas roof and 2 of the 1500 with the office body (as pictured online). If a static GHQ I would use a tent with a table and some field grade officers clustered around it. The tent and table would have to be scatch built or purchased elsewhere. There are no german field grade officers in the individual infantry packs (I mean the guys in the officer's caps). However, there are lots of them in the russian R48 and the british UK59 packs. At this scale all you need to do is paint them field grey instead of khaki. The detail differences are so small no one will notice.

Recon Infantry : G144 - just pick some that loolk right to you.

Kubelwagen : G40 is your only choice. The good thing is that you also get some MC w/sidecars as well. Unfortunately the kettenkrads are more of a mid to late war thing - but there's only 4 of them.

Lt Truck : I would choose either G37 1.5 ton Daimler-Steyr or G97 Krupp Protze.

PzIIf(R) : I think that for 1939-40 the G113 PzIIA would be more appropriate. Some PzIIF were in service in 1940 but were not as common as PzIIA.

Other things : PzIIID - use G142 PzIIIE. The models A -D were pre-production service test models. Grand total of 70 vehicles built to test different types of suspensions. The model E was the first production version and is identical in game terms.
PzIVE - use G5 PzIVD. The E model didn't enter service until 1941.

Hope this helps,
regards, Steve

Gort
E5

Post by Gort »

kiasutha

Technically correct. However, first combat use was on Crete, and general issue was not until June 1941, which falls outside the parameters of Ooh Rah's original question.

regards,

Steve

Ooh Rah

Post by Ooh Rah »

Thanks for the replies. Bartering is not something I had considered. Thank you, Extra Crispy, for that suggestion. I am planning to buy one or more of the Combat Command packages and supplement as needed. I will try bartering the extra units.

Gort's reply was actually closer to what I am trying to determine. Thank you, Gort, for listing specific product numbers. I am still confused about some of the other infantry, armor, and artillery units. I need some good reference guides that describe German military equipment. Any suggestions?

I wish the rulebook provided a cross-reference that indicated which products correspond to the units listed in the scenarios. Would be helpful for us newbies.

Thanks again.

1ComOpsCtr
E5

Post by 1ComOpsCtr »

Good source for information...

http://home.fuse.net/nafziger/WW2_TACT.HTM

Between this source and the TO&E group your should be able to find out exactly what you need to know...

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/TOandEs/

These sources should do the trick...

Will
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster." - Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche, 1844-1900

Xveers

Post by Xveers »

As a basic starter, I'd suggest looking in the larger chain bookstores for a hefty tome called "
Weapons of WW2". It's a massive-style coffeetable book that covers infantry, artillery, tanks, and aircraft used on all sides of the war. While it dosen't cover EVERYTHING, it covers all the major weapon types, giving one a basic idea of what was when and where.

It's nice for several reasons:
For what it covers, it's cheap, which is good when you're starting out.
It's broad. You don't have to spend a large amount of cash to give you a basic reference to everything.
It's accessable. It's not written for the hard-core grognard with lots of technical information, but instead gives a less detailed but far more useful idea of how things are set up. Early on, you really don't know exactly how effective a PaK 40 is, but more you need to know when it was made, how common, etc.

http://www.amazon.com/Encyclopedia-Tank ... F8&s=books

http://www.amazon.com/Encyclopedia-Infa ... F8&s=books

I have both these books, and together they provide a good overview of everything save aircraft.

For more specific information IE what was found in various units, there are several other sources. Some Osprey books have orbats in them. Other information can be found at: http://www.wwiidaybyday.com/, click on OOBs, Gliederungen, and KStN, and then again on KStN. The KStN's are the official specs for the german army for their units. Unfortunately it's all in german, but the final KStN's have pictures so they're not as inaccessable as one may think.

Ooh Rah

Post by Ooh Rah »

Thanks again for more replies and helpful references. Using the information that was provided I was able to determine the GHQ products to purchase to build a 1:1 WW2 German infantry company. I will create a new subject and post the results of this research for comments and suggestions.

Thanks again.