AARs: Show Us Yer Games!

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

mluther
E5

Re: AARs: Show Us Yer Games!

Post by mluther »

After a late war game I thought some early actions in the Poland 39 campaign would be in order for a September I Ain't Been Shot Mum game in 6mm. I stole this scenario directly from Rob Avery's excellent Vis Lardica site.
Grudziadz is a town in the Polish Corridor and the Germans were actually attacking from East Prussia. The attackers were from the reserve 10th Panzer Rgt. They had a load of light tanks-- 2 platoons of 2) Pz Is and 3) Pz IIs and a HQ platoon of 2 more Pz IIs and another Pz I and a Pz I Befelswagen.
They also had a company of 3 platoons of infantry, a 4 gun MMG platoon, 2 AA Halftracks
The town was strategically important because it had several military schools and staff offices. But it was lightly defended. Only infantry and Border units (KOP) and some artillery.
Jon had was the defending Poles. He had 3 2) section platoons of infantry. One of KOP troops and the other regulars. They were large sections of 10 men though. The regular platoons also had an ATR and a Lt Mortar. Also 3 taczankas and 3 37mm Bofors ATGs. 2 medium mortars and some artillery--which never came in. All the Poles could be dug in within the perimeter of the town outskirts.
Link to flickr AAR: https://www.flickr.com/photos/6mmgaming ... 484006569/

ImageMore covering fire by Mark Luther, on Flickr

[img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/514 ... f4f7_c.jpg[/url]Remaining panzers by Mark Luther, on Flickr

[img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/514 ... 930f_c.jpg[/url]HQ panzers move up by Mark Luther, on Flickr

Mark

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Hi Mark

That is a spectacular looking game. I love the early war Panzer Is and IIs. Not bad tanks overall if the other guy doesn't have any. Your terrain is fabulous and so is the AAR.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Fantastic AAR Mark! The terrain and troops look awesome! Well done! Keep those AARs coming!
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

Very nice set up of terrain. Love the vehicles.
Thank you for posting.
Chris

mluther
E5

Post by mluther »

I had been wanting to get my 6mm Soviet Naval troops on the table for awhile so this scenario was designed around that thought. The game was based on the fighting in north Caucasus in August 1942. The Germans were closing in on the port of Novorossiysk from the north and the Soviets had set up blocking positions before Verkhnebakanskiy. This represents the 83rd Naval Infantry Brigade's fallback spot after getting push backed from an area further east. They were facing the 125th Inf Div with some StuGs and armored cars. I Ain't Been Shot Mum rules
Link to the Flickr AAR: https://www.flickr.com/photos/6mmgaming ... 630901061/

ImageView from the rocky, wooded east flank by Mark Luther, on Flickr

ImageNaval troops entrenched behind an orchard by Mark Luther, on Flickr

ImageDismounting grenadiers by Mark Luther, on Flickr

ImageStuGs engage the troops in town by Mark Luther, on Flickr

ImageT26s vs StuGs by Mark Luther, on Flickr

ImageThe other platoon of Naval troops opens fire by Mark Luther, on Flickr

ImageClearing the way by Mark Luther, on Flickr

ImageSoviet Players plan their defense by Mark Luther, on Flickr

Mark

[With minor edits to get the images to show properly on the forum. -Mk 1]

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Mark, your games are visually spectacular! These AARs are great! Great writeup to provide the situation and then awesome photos of some incredible terrain and units

BurtWolf
E5

Post by BurtWolf »

Awesome AARs Mark - games look fun and terrain is eye catching. Thanks for posting.

Would love to see a close up of those naval infantry at some point!

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Another excellent game and a slightly more unusual WWII subject, Mark. As I have mentioned before, I always love to see your AARs and the lovely pictures of your fabulous terrain layouts.

How did you make the fields? Is that "Teddy Bear Fur"? I have some plans to do some various "throw down fields" of various types to use with my Terrain Maker.

Thanks!

mluther
E5

Post by mluther »

The fields for my 6mm games are just think fabric pieces that are sprayed with paint. A few are old model RR fields that I picked up years ago from a forgotten manufacturer, I do use the teddy bear and grizzly bear fur for large scale fields though.
Thanks,
Mark

mluther
E5

Post by mluther »

Thought it would be nice to do a game with US troops for Veterans Day (Nov 11), and since I had no US 6mm minis Jon would bring his long hibernating 6mm Americans. So I stole another scenario off of Rob Avery's Vis Lardica site that would be a simple set up. For variety I wanted a game that was in Italy so the Highway 7 scenario from the Anzio pack looked good.
The action takes place on January 31, 1944 with units of the US 3rd Div trying to expand the Anzio beachead out through the dug in Herman Goering Pz Div.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/6mmgaming ... 0185498434

ImageFrom the east edge by Mark Luther, on Flickr
ImageHG div positions by Mark Luther, on Flickr
ImageCoordinating the advance by Mark Luther, on Flickr

ImageGIs in the trees by Mark Luther, on Flickr

ImageUS tanks break for the bridge by Mark Luther, on Flickr

ImageGerman center under mortar fire by Mark Luther, on Flickr

Mark
[With minor edits to get the pics to show on the forum. -Mk 1]

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

That's awesome Mark! I love it! The terrain is great - I love how you have ditches and the railway cut and the board isn't perfectly flat. Real battlefields aren't flat, they have IV lines and holes and lumps. And I especially like the burned out buildings. Well done! Looks like it was an awesome game!

Mk 1
E5

Post by Mk 1 »

I have stepped in to perform a bit of minor surgery on MLuther's two most recent AAR postings, so that the pics can show on the forum.

I don't normally do this, and I won't regularly do this. But Mark Luther's games are such an amazing treat to the eye that I can hardly resist making them more accessible to all, and I know his sincere intention to have the pics up, as he and I have exchanged a few PMs as he seeks to figure out why his pics don't show properly.

Well, now they do. And that's what counts. And these pics count a lot, because, as always, they are absolutely STUNNING stuff! Great AARs, Mark! The table, the forces, the scenario, and the story telling. All top notch.

-Mark
(aka: the OTHER Mark)
-Mark 1
Difficile est, saturam non scribere.
"It is hard NOT to write satire." - Decimus Iunius Juvenalis, 1st Century AD

mluther
E5

Post by mluther »

Thanks again, Mark. I wish I could figure out what changed in the posting method that worked previously.
Thanks for the comments too.
Mark

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Great looking game, Mark! Although I am not really into gaming the Italian Theater in WWII, there are lots of potential games on the situation at Anzio in 1944. This one looks really interesting.

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

Any of you ever read the Army Historical Series on the different campaigns? Can be useful for scenarios.
All blessings flow from a good mission statement.
Pogo was right. So was Ike.
"A Gentleman is a man who is only rude intentionally." (Churchill)
Give credit. Take responsibility.