AARs: Show Us Yer Games!

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

mluther
E5

Post by mluther »

This link is to some pics of a game that we are going to run next month. Scenario takes place in the Salerno beachhead. We've got HG Div recon elements and some German inf with supporting Semovantes trying to root out some Brits. Shermans and some more Brit inf are also coming on to expand the British lines. Also have some Spit Vs in the air.

If anyone is going to be in the Atlanta area and interested in joining the game they would be most welcome. I'll post a time and date when its firmed up.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow.j ... wtmeh&Ux=0

Mark

jb
E5

Post by jb »

Very nice terrain,troops and vehicles Mark. It looks like a great time ahead. Please do post the results.
JB

Mk 1
E5

Post by Mk 1 »

Brits at Salerno. Interesting choice of scenarios! Salerno is so often portraid as an American operation in US histories, but the Brits were of course full 50% partners in it.

I am very interested in the terrain you've created. Seems to be a mix of fully sculpted game boards and modular/piecemeal terrain features. I like what I can see so far in terms of walls, hedges and treelines. Looks like there are some techniques there I could "borrow" for my own terrain. Also the crop field look intersting. Hope to see a few more close-ups.

Please do post up an AAR after the battle! You know you get to enjoy your battles more if you write up an AAR. You get to enjoy it when you plan it, you get to enjoy it when you play it, you get to enjoy it when you tell us all the story (when you write it up), AND you get to enjoy it again and again every time you re-read it!

Just think about it, guys. Don't you just love re-living your best wargames? Isn't it great fun to tell your wargaming stories to other interested wargamers? Well, you've got a bunch of VERY interested wargamers right here, just waiting to appreciate all you put in to your games!

:wink:
-Mark 1
Difficile est, saturam non scribere.
"It is hard NOT to write satire." - Decimus Iunius Juvenalis, 1st Century AD

jb
E5

Post by jb »

I noticed that cbovill has an AAR of the River platte while going through the old stuff on this forum. Maybe we can convince him to bring it here. It is nicely done up, and deserves to be here.
JB

cbovill
E5

Post by cbovill »

Thanks JB! I was kinda hoping that I would have a few new battles to post out here but just been working too dang much! So little time for the hobby.

jb
E5

Prokhorovka 12 July 1943 10:10 Hrs

Post by jb »

Prokhorovka 12 July 1943 10:10 Hrs roughly 7 Kilometers South west .
This was the Game done at Little Wars 14 april 2007,Chicago.
Situation. the German 2nd SS panzer Corps is advancing towards the communication center of Prokhorovka. The !st SS PGD division is the main assault towards the objective. The 3rd SS PGD is on the left flank guarding the same. The 2d SS PGD is guarding the right flank of the attack. We will be dealing with what happened with the 2d SS
The Russian players huddled together and made their plan. Each one commanded a Tank brigade of almost 40 AFVs. These were a mixture of T-34 and T-70s. Their plan; form each TB into a wedge,each TB abreast of one another and break through to the west edge to cut off the advance of the 1st SS. They decided to move fast and engage the Hitlerites at close quarters,to make up for their shorter ranged weapons.
The Germans on the other hand just each took a Panzer Comapny and basically had no plan. Just set up and go from there. Their force consisted of No 5 company Pzkw IIINs,No 6 Co Pzkw IVHs, No 7 Co PzkwIIIJ, and the No 1 Co Pzgrd Armored. No 2 and 3 Companies in defense to the west. 1 platoon of Tiger Is were also attached.
10:00 Hrs Alarm! Russian armor is attacking the 1st SS with several armored thrusts. Simultaneously elements of the 2nd Guards tank Corps are spotted advacing towrds the 2d SS positions. the 2d SS is positioned along the Prokhorovka RR line that runs north to south.
10:10 Hrs all German Companies advance to counter attack this Bolshevick threat!
10:15 Hrs 14 PzIVs (No 6 Co) run headlong into the 4th GDs in the vicinity of Ivanovsk Vyesyelo. The german gunnery appears off mark as the Russians advance and get to close with the Germans at 500 meters or less. At this range the Bolshevick 76.2s are ripping the MkIVs to pieces. This whirling swirling tank battle amonst the village and surrounding woods lasts for a half hour or so. The results in heavy German losses and the Soviets with a good amount of tanks still advancin towards the west.
Around the vicinity of Byelenikhino and Ivanovka the No 7 company is advancing upon the 26th GD TB. A tank duel ensues at 600 meters between 2 platoons of MkIIIs and T-70s and T-34s of the GDs. Both sides thrust and parry with thier tanks amonst the openings of the wooded terrain. Things are going better for the Soviets at this range,and even better when a Katyusha barrage lands amonst the Hitlerites and breaks their position. This of course force them to lose ground with the 26th hot on thier heals.
In the center position the Tiger platoon is set up on hill243.6 giving support fire to the No 5 company, who is foolishly advancing upon the Soviet 25th Guards Tank Brigade. The tiger platoon starts to fire upon the T-70s and T-34s at a range of 2500 meters with good success. Unfortunately for the Germans this just isn't enough. The 25th Gds gets into Reaction combat with the Germans and with a tooth and nail tank battle come out victorious. All during this time the Tigers are pumping 88 rounds into any Soviet tank that ventures out of the tank melee. It was literally a smoking mess that you couldn't tell friend from foe or see who was alive or dead due to the smoke.
10:53 Hrs Tiger platoon is falling back to the west to avoid being out flanked ,on both flanks by the Soviet 4th and 26th Guards Tank brigades. This was the end of the flank guard for the 1st SS advance towards Prokhorovka. A Smashing Soviet success in this sector.
This concluded our game. It took just under 3 hours to resolve. 8 players were involved.12 turns were played which would have related to 30 - 60 minutes of real time.
Rules were my own Micro Panzertruppen,1 to 1 scale.
I believe that the Soviets prevailed due to them looking at their weapons capabilities and making the best use of it. i.e. 600m or less suited them the best results. They maneuvered fast to get to this range.
The German players helped them along by thrusting thier long range killing guns (MKIVs) into a short range comabt. This definitely put the Soviets on top. The MKIIIs as everyone knows were really an impotent MBT at this time. With the German force made of 2/3s of MKIIIs,throwing away the MKIVs killed them outright. The tigers,well, they did what they should have. Sit in the middle at take out targets at looong range,this they did indeed. As everyone also knows,there were never enough of them.
Following are pictures. They may not be in chronilogical order,but, please nejoy. Isure did...
Looking North from Ivanovka and Byelyenikhino

Tigers Hill 243.6
No 5 company
25th Guards Tank Brigade advancing
ImageImage
Tank Melee! the end for the Hitlerites!
John

jb
E5

Prokhorovka

Post by jb »

Delete
Last edited by jb on Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
John

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

It, it was ...like I keep seeing it over and over again. The battle keep going through my mind,....

Actually some nice photos.

Mk 1
E5

Post by Mk 1 »

Well done! Sounds like it was quite a battle. Great historical set-up, great terrain, great models, nice pics. :D

Now, which repeats do you want deleated???? :wink:
-Mark 1
Difficile est, saturam non scribere.
"It is hard NOT to write satire." - Decimus Iunius Juvenalis, 1st Century AD

jb
E5

Post by jb »

Mk 1 wrote:Well done! Sounds like it was quite a battle. Great historical set-up, great terrain, great models, nice pics. :D

Now, which repeats do you want deleated???? :wink:
Thanks Guys. It was a pleasure to post that battle. I'm sorry for the repeats. I could do nothing with ANY posting after it was posted. Please delete all but one if you would.
Thanks,
John B
John

ACWBill
E5

Eimen Shima "Death Island"

Post by ACWBill »

A few shots of my upcoming mega game at Recon 2007 entitled Eimen Shima. It is of course, Gua-dal-ca-na-l :D We'll start with some Chi Ha Type 97s attacking.

Last edited by ACWBill on Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I was worse scared than I was at Shiloh" - Sam Watkins
Perryville, KY - October 8, 1862

ACWBill
E5

Post by ACWBill »

A downed Zeke.

Last edited by ACWBill on Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

ACWBill
E5

Post by ACWBill »

A P-400 lodaed for bear.

Last edited by ACWBill on Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

ACWBill
E5

Post by ACWBill »

Some more Chi Ha shots.

ACWBill
E5

Sorry

Post by ACWBill »

There appears to be a bug on the site. My apologies for the repeats.