Page 1 of 1

ACW Lite?

Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:05 am
by HardRock
Is there a lite version of MicroForce ACW? I'm just getting into ACW and would like to see the basics of the game.

What is the basing? Unit size (bases & figures)?

Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:29 am
by dnichols
Currently there is not a "Lite" version of the rules available.

I however would be happy to answer any questions you may have.

The basic unit on the table is the regiment which are manuevered in brigades.

The infantry stand is 1" by 3/4". The number of figures on the stand does not effect game play in any way. So you can base them with however many figures you want. Casualties are in 1/2 and full stands AND to the units cohesion. The size of the bases are recommened only. So if you already have figures based differently you would not have to re-base your figures.

If you are familiar with the WWII or Modern GHQ rules you should pick up this system very easily.

Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:16 am
by HardRock
The guys I game with do Fire & Fury, which has similar base sizes. So that's easy.

How many men are represented by each base? I like to translate actual OB's, some might consider that a fetish. ;)

You said the base unit is the regiment, but manueverd in brigades. How does that work? I can't get a picture in my mind.

Thanks,

Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:28 pm
by HardRock
tap..tap...Hello?.. :? ..TAP...TAP.. :? ..Dang..I think this thing is broken.

Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:41 pm
by 10mmACW
A regt. in this game is from 4 to 6 stands. You take hits per stand so the number of figs per stand is up to you. I put 6 figs per stand cause it looked right to me. Each stand represents about 80 men (Not sure I'm not at home right now) or one artillery section (2 guns). You would command a Brigade of about three to four regts. Hope this helps.

Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:39 am
by dnichols
Sorry, I have been so tardy to reply. Been working some killer overtime getting a game out the door. (I produce games for the playstation)

~70 men are represented by a stand. The number of figures on the stand are up to you and 8 figures is only a suggestion. Some of my regiments have 5 figures to a stand and others 8. The number of figures on a stand is irrelevant to gameplay.

Now, the Brigade question. The basic unit is a regiment of 4-5 stands. 2 or more regiments can be formed into a Brigade under a brigade commander. Visualize 3 regiments in line each side by side. As individual units you would have to make a cohesion roll for each one for them all to advance on line. However, if they are a brigade with a brigade commander, you roll one cohesion roll on the brigade commanders cohesion and they all advance under his command. This system makes movement simple and fast and better represents the historical manner in which regiments were manuevered on the battlefield.

Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:54 am
by HardRock
OK, I understand.

Thanks,

Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:34 pm
by HardRock
Is cavakry also on the 70 men per base? How are disomounted cavalry handled?

I've been doing some OB work. I came up with a cheet sheet for manpower to base number.
MP = # of Bases
0-34 = 0 bases
35-104 = 1 bases
105-174 = 2 bases
175-244 = 3 bases
245-314 = 4 bases
315-384 = 5 bases
385-454 = 6 bases
455-524 = 7 bases
525-594 = 8 bases
595-664 = 9 bases
665-734 = 10 bases
735-804 = 11 bases
805-874 = 12 bases

Is this correct or am I off base?

Thanks,

Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:19 pm
by dnichols
Nice work. Yes, your numbers are correct.

Cavalry stands represent between 30-50 effective cavalrymen. This number already represents the horse holders if the cavalry dismount. There are no extra horse holder stands unless the player chooses to place them on the table just for the visuals.

So if you were going to make a similar chart for cavalry I would go with the same 70 man number.

Once dismounted they are treated as infantry. Cavalry troopers were generally armed with better weapons and so even though their actual numbers are less they have roughly the same volume of fire.

Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:48 am
by HardRock
Always more expensive, but I really like the look of dismounted cavalry with a bunch of horses behind them. Visually screams dismounted cav. Always gets good comments from onlookers as well as attracting them to the table.

Thanks,