Canadians Discussion Thread - Modern

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

Fireman Tim

Post by Fireman Tim »

Fantastic!!!

Does anyone collect 4th CMB 80s-90s? I'd love to see some pics if anyone has some.

I want to collect it, but I am currently collecting soviets and canucks in 20mm.

dougeagle
E5

Post by dougeagle »

I have started on my Canadians for the late 1970's and early 1980's, about 1983 is about the farthest I wish to go with the moderns. After that, I find that the Western Allied tanks are too powerful.
What I have so far for my Canadians is:
1 Mech Infantry battalion w/ M113 and Support company (M106, M150 TOW)
1 Armoured Troop of Leopard 1A4

Still working on more infantry. :)
Doug

A goal is not always meant to be reached, it often serves simply as something to aim at.
Bruce Lee

Fireman Tim

Post by Fireman Tim »

Doug,

got any pics? And you are from Grand Prairie I see. Your town is in one of my 'Red Dawn' Scenarios. :lol: Small world.

chrisswim
E5

Canadian stuff

Post by chrisswim »

I have build 30 or so M113/25. Put LAV 25 turret on M113A3 hull. Have cougars & grizzlies, M113C&R. M113 with ADATS, LAV 25, LAV ADATS, Iltilis, 2.5 ton truck, LAV apc (lav logistic), etc. In early 90's, meet some Canadian troops in FL, they were stationed at Camp Blanding, and told that they had been testing Bradley's as a replacement to serve as a 'tank'. Guess that did not happen, since the Leopard 1A4 has been up armored. So I built some Bradley's along with Leopard 1A4's to go smack around. So I may need to use the Canadians with Leopard 2 & Bradleys for fun, sometime, when they receive the Leopard 2.

Wayne

Canadian forces

Post by Wayne »

I`ve purchased Leos. 2A6 for my Canadians in Afganistan but have to convert LAV 25 to Coyotes when I buy some down the road. But I do have the Lynx and M113s from the other company and will utilize GHQ M113 with the gunshields. I have some Iiltis and trucks for my Canadian forces. I have the hard covered book on the Canadian armoured corps an illustrated history which has lots of pics from the beginning with use of horses up to modern with the Leo 1A4s. This book covers the forces getting Centurions and some M24 Caffees, talks about the reserves units and regs. Has pics of the use of Cougars, and the Lynx on training and Centurions. I remember when at Wainwright back in the 60s and early 70s I`d see Centurions moving up and down roads and we were using M113s for recce. Even at Borden I`d see the Cents but this time we used Lynes for recce. I miss those times.

dougeagle
E5

Post by dougeagle »

Fireman Tim said:
Doug,

got any pics? And you are from Grand Prairie I see. Your town is in one of my 'Red Dawn' Scenarios. :lol: Small world.
No sorry, no pics yet...just about to do the finishing touches with them.
As for the the from Grande Prairie...I just moved up here about 9 months ago with my wife. I'm originally from Calgary.

From which part of Canada do you reside in?

Red Dawn scenario...sounds interesting...
Doug

A goal is not always meant to be reached, it often serves simply as something to aim at.
Bruce Lee

Brian-Edmonton

Post by Brian-Edmonton »

dougeagle wrote:I have started on my Canadians for the late 1970's and early 1980's, about 1983 is about the farthest I wish to go with the moderns. After that, I find that the Western Allied tanks are too powerful.
What I have so far for my Canadians is:
1 Mech Infantry battalion w/ M113 and Support company (M106, M150 TOW)
1 Armoured Troop of Leopard 1A4

Still working on more infantry. :)
I'm interested in the same period and have bought my first leopards. A long way to go but it all starts with one step. Its good to know there are others out there interested in the same period.

Brian

ferret701
E5

Post by ferret701 »

I have a section on Canadians on my website, but it is limited to shots of maybe a half dozen vehicles. I'll see about adding more.

Pat

http://www.microarmormayhem.com/Units_Canadian.html

Gort
E5

Post by Gort »

Pics of our new Leo 2A6M CAN

As if I didn't have enough scratch building on my to do list! :D

regards

Steve

dougeagle
E5

Post by dougeagle »

8) Very 8) Indeed.

I'm currently making up some labels for my Canadians, for identification purposes, and have a couple of stands of infantry with the TOW launcher. I guess its a personal thing if I wish to use it or not, but am wondering if it would have been used instead of the M150 TOW?
Doug

Bruce Lee

Fireman Tim

Post by Fireman Tim »

Well back in the 80s I know they would ground mount the TOWs. I guess it depends if you think you are going to be taking alot of artillery fire. One would want to save the TOW launcher. I am going to use M150s for FFT.

And check out my Blog for the Red Dawn ideas.

http://coldwargaming.blogspot.com/

Fireman Tim

Post by Fireman Tim »

Oh, and if anyone has any extra 1980s Canadian micro armour that they want to sell, please PM me.

Ben
E5

Post by Ben »

Hi Steve,

thanks a lot for posting those nice shots of the Canadian Leo 2A6M!

Best regards from Germany,
Ben

dougeagle
E5

Post by dougeagle »

I have got a TO&E of a Canadian Mechanized Infantry Combat Brigade for the late 70's and early 80's from another gaming source, yet I'm wondering if it is right or not.

Basically, it states that there are 2 mechanized infantry battalions and 1 tank battalion.
I would assume that this is correct?

Some suggestions would be greatly appreciated... :D
Doug

Bruce Lee