Tips when registering for your forum account

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

GHQ
Site Admin

Tips when registering for your forum account

Post by GHQ »

Welcome to the world of GHQ. First, thank you for your interest in becoming a registered member of our forum. This forum is a fantastic resource for information on military gaming, history, modeling, etc., and it would not be possible without valuable members like you. To cut down the number of spammers on our forum, we frequently do a cull on accounts. To avoid having your account culled keep these things in mind:

- Early on put up some legitimate posts that others may find interesting. These could be projects that you are working on, comments on games that you have played, interesting military history tidbits that you just learned, questions about military history/game rules/TO&E's/etc. that others may know about.

- DO NOT put anything about por-nography, drugs, phar-maceuticals, online gambling sites, s-e-xual products, etc. anywhere in your profile.

- Be sure to list that military history, modeling, gaming, etc. is one of your interests, or hobbies.

-DO NOT list a commercial website in your profile.

Because this forum is paid for and maintained by GHQ, we ask that you do not include any website addresses for other companies in your postings. We try to keep a very friendly and informative atmosphere on our forum, so please refrain from using profanity and any name calling. When in doubt about placing a post, take 15 minutes to think about it, before hitting the "Submit" button. All posts are subject to being edited or deleted by any of our forum moderators. This forum has got a lot of very informed regular users, and offers a wealth of information. It is a fantastic tool for people who are just getting into military gaming and modeling, as well as those who have been active in the hobby for decades. Use it, have fun with it, and be an active member on it!

Thank you for your support,
GHQ

1ComOpsCtr
E5

Post by 1ComOpsCtr »

GHQ,

Thanks for taking this step...!

Will
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster." - Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche, 1844-1900

kgpanzer
E5

Post by kgpanzer »

GHQ

Thanks for being there for us :-)

Cheers
Anthony
kgpanzer@aol.com
Sniper motto's ....A sniper...."While Hidden, I See and Destroy"..."One shot one kill"....

GHQ
Site Admin

Re: Tips when registering for your forum account

Post by GHQ »

We are happy to have had our forum be relatively trouble-free for so many years. For quite awhile we were able to remain relatively SPAM free, and have had a relatively colloquial exchange of ideas, questions, comments, etc. A few months ago a couple of things popped up that have made us take a tighter approach to our forum. One is that SPAM started to pop up regularly. Over the last several weeks we have been in conversations with our website developer, and have asked that the controls be tightened for registering new accounts. In addition, we regularly go through and delete new accounts that appear to be bogus. One of the best ways to show that you have registered a legitimate account is to immediately post something that others will find interesting, and want to offer words of encouragement, praise, suggestions, etc.. Our forum is full of incredibly knowledgeable, talented people who are very generous with sharing what they know, and we know that many of you have have been reading our forum have got some great things to say. Register your account, and get in on the fun!

We have a few ideas for expanding the viewership, and hopefully registered members, of our forum, and over the next couple of months we will begin putting some of them into play. It would be great to get some new members in on the action. If you have any ideas about how to get more people tuned in, please let us know. Spread the word to people who you know who may be interested, talk about our forum in some groups that you are a member of, please help get the word out. There are so many talented, and knowledgeable, people here, we know that many more people would love to see what is going on here!

Thank you for your support,
GHQ

StarCruiser
E5

Post by StarCruiser »

I suspected you were at it by now!

Spammers take note, your days are numbered...
"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of java that the thoughts acquire speed. The hands acquire the shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion." - Programmer's Mantra

KimDimSum

Post by KimDimSum »

I’ve tried posting for 9-10 days now.

Nothing.

Complete. ** CENSORED **.

Mk 1
E5

Post by Mk 1 »

KimDimSum wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:07 pm
I’ve tried posting for 9-10 days now.

Nothing.
I have approved this posting to illustrate a new dynamic on our Forum.

When you register your account, your initial posting(s) must be approved by a MODERATOR before becoming visible. From that point forward you will (should?) be cleared for regular posting to the forum.

This feature has had a very strong impact on reducing SPAM posts. Our forum was flooded with spams. Now, only the approval process is flooded. So it may take some time to work through. Please don't be surprised if your first posting does not appear right away.

And ... please try to be clearly on-topic with your first posting. The SPAMbots are pretty clever these days. They post real sentences, with keywords taken from the website / forum chats. I can't count how many posts I've had to review that have clever / snide comments with one or two words from prior postings, but then have a link to a foreign website. It is even possible that the post I approved from KDS was from such a bot. I hope not, but I may be disappointed.

So, make your first posting a good one, on-topic with some actual contribution to the discussion, and be a bit patient. You will be welcomed into the fold. We will all enjoy a better forum for it.

Carry on

MODERATOR Mk1
-Mark 1
Difficile est, saturam non scribere.
"It is hard NOT to write satire." - Decimus Iunius Juvenalis, 1st Century AD

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

Thank you. This must take a lot of time an patience.
All blessings flow from a good mission statement.
Pogo was right. So was Ike.
"A Gentleman is a man who is only rude intentionally." (Churchill)
Give credit. Take responsibility.

Beagle
E5

Post by Beagle »

There are no words to describe the appreciation for what you're doing.

Tom

Post by Tom »

Its great there is very little spam on the forums here - however, how many posts do I need before I can start a thread?

Mk 1
E5

Post by Mk 1 »

Tom:

You are good to go. It is not a question of how many. Once you have been approved you are live. You should be able to post, and start threads, at will.

We currently have two volunteer moderators (ie: just members of the forum who were asked to help in moderating -- many years ago) to bolster GHQ staff moderation of the forums.

We were suffering a real tsunami of spam over the summer and into Fall. This new feature in the forum has made a very significant contribution to resolving the flood, but it has created a flood for us, the moderators.

The good news is that you will not need to have future messages approved. You should be able to post immediately without oversight. I think. Probably. Let me know by private message if that does not work for you.

And in case you were wondering, your posting was buried amidst a small stack of AI generated posts (all with messages praising the valued conversation, but which demonstrated no actual involvement in the hobby), each with Korean, Chinese or Russian website links. Fortunately at this point we are no longer under a backlog of such messages (there were hundreds to weed through at an earlier point), so you are up and running.

I hope we can keep up with all of our newcomers ... because your contribution is in fact welcomed here. Come on in, and chat away. We love talking about our modelling, collecting, and gaming stuff! We hope you will too.

-MODERATOR Mk 1
-Mark 1

kato13a

Post by kato13a »

My account lists me as a newly registered user, rather than a registered user. I am posting here to see if doing so allows me to create a new thread.

Olfarty
Location: TEST by GHQ Admin 7th March 2024 - DID NOT WORK FOR ME!!!!!!!

Post by Olfarty »

Good Morning Moderators.

This is much the same question as was asked by Tom in June 2022. I’ve been a GHQ customer directly and indirectly since about 1988. I thought it was about time to join the forum, post some pics of my GHQ work and have a chat with like-minded “geeks”. However, I wasn’t aware that I had to be “approved” in order to create a new topic. I registered on 11Nov23. I posted my first ‘test’ pic on 14Nov23. I have since created a third post however that has simply disappeared into the ether. I tried logging in via the “New Topic” icon only to get the somewhat terse message: “You cannot post in this forum”.

What do I actually have to do in order to be "approved", in order that I can create new topic, post some pics, and, discuss GHQ’s products on the forum?

Mk 1
E5

Post by Mk 1 »

I believe you are fully approved to do all of those things on the forum.

Please message me directly if you find you are not able to participate.

MODERATOR Mk 1
-Mark 1