Tamiya Field Grey

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

av8rmongo
E5

Post by av8rmongo »

I use this color for Modern German vehicles. For me its the closest I've found for their "Bronzegreen".

Paul
“It's a beautiful thing, the destruction of words.â€￾
― George Orwell, 1984

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
- George Orwell

http://av8rmongo.wordpress.com

jb
E5

Post by jb »

I can say nothing really good about brushing on Tamiya colours,but they spray just great striaght out of the bottle. They also have some very good color/shades,i.e. dak yellow is good for panzer dark yellow. Nato green is self explanitory and is great for the monotone for the Stryker with a lighter green dry brush. I can find pros and cons from every paint manufacturer...
John

Ritter
E5

Post by Ritter »

Ol' XF-65, yes it isn't grey but neither is Feldgrau which is what (I think) Tamiya was trying to mimic. Its a bit dark straight from the bottle for 6mm but is IMHO a good match for larger scales. The only problem is getting the consistancy right for brushwork. As JB mentioned earlier, its a great line for airbrush.

What are you painting with it? Uniforms or something else?

Troy

Cav Dog
E5

Post by Cav Dog »

This picture is of an infantry stand with the figure in the front painted Tamiya Field Gray, the center figure's trousers are Vallejo field gray and his tunic is Vallejo green gray with relective green and chocolate brown splinter camo and the machine gunner in the back is Vallejo field gray.

Tactics are the opinion of the senior officer present.

Ritter
E5

Post by Ritter »

Gotcha, Yes there is a difference - I think the Vallejo looks much more to scale. I would either only use the Vallejo or try and lighten the Tamiya a bit - or just use it for contrasting new uniforms.

Nice Infantry!

<edit> For those that are interested, I have adjusted the color chart for Feldgrau on my site due to a bit of experimentation. Originally, I used Humbrol 111 by itself. I the tried H31 which looks great untill it dries. Finally, I have settled on H111 mixed with about 40% H90. It gives a nice green/grey that just looks 'right' to me and is not too dark.

Troy