The War Room

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

Timothy OConnor
E5

Post by Timothy OConnor »

For historical gaming in Atlanta the only other possibility that I know of is Hobby Hangout

http://hobbyhangoutonline.com/default.aspx

But it's actually just outside of Atlanta, west of the city. And in it's previous incarnation it had some historical minis but I believe that it's now strictly GW, CCGs, etc.

I also miss the days of B&M wargame stores. In Chicago we had EHQ and they still have Games Plus. In DC they still have Game Parlor and Eagle & Empire for historicals. But here in Atlanta there's virtually nothing left outside of a few small and widely scattered clubs (ours plays once-a-month in a combination police station/fire station/community center!)

We also have a huge Hobbytown in Kennesaw, GA, north-northwest of the city and it has a very nice gaming, lots of 15mm FOW products, and tons of models of course.

cbovill
E5

Post by cbovill »

I lived in Nashville from '96 to '02 and in that time Nashville went through a sad phase. In '96 we had Das Hobbies in Antioch on the southside of the city with a good range of GHQ. We also had The Keep in Hermitage on Lebanon Pike (pronounced leb-nun) with a collection of GHQ. In town we had three war gaming clubs that overlapped the greater metro area with many, many players using GHQ and other 1/285th and 1/2400th.

Then The Keep just stopped restocking GHQ but was willing to put in a "special" order. Only it took them forever to do it and they couldn't get me what I wanted guaranteed on my order. They made it pointless for me to try as I could get far better service going to GHQ myself.

Then Das Hobbies decided to relocate to a MALL in Ft. Campbell, KY about an hour or so NW of Nashville. I went and visited them but they were no longer stocking GHQ and did not resemble the store they once used to be in Nashville - never went back and can't imagine they stayed in business very long in a mall.

Once the hobby shops closed or stopped stocking, one of the guys opened a quasi-hobby shop in his business (a plumbing supply shop) at night. So we started alternating - one week we play at The Keep, the next week it would be at the shop. But the guy who ran that shop wasn't into GHQ, he was making his own stuff in a larger scale and that's what he was selling.

I've been back to Nashville two years ago on business, The Keep has a new name and no historical stuff. I would seriously doubt that Nashville has anything to offer now. You could go out to HMGS - Midsouth and post out there to the guys on that forum and see if things have changed. Also, NASHCON should be going on about this time right now somewhere in the greater Nashville area - good convention when I lived there.

Chris