Consolidated Micronaut Wish List

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

Donald M. Scheef
E5

Post by Donald M. Scheef »

You're right about the torpedo tubes: the "V" class were built able to carry triple tube mounts but were fitted with twin mounts to save time. In the 1920s all but the minelayers replaced the twin mounts with triple mounts. The minelayers replaced only the forward twin mount with a triple mount, retaining the aft twin mount.
V-class destroyers completed as destroyers: Vancouver, Vanessa, Vanity, Vega, Velox, Vendetta, Venetia, Verdun, Versatile, Verulam, Vesper, Vidette, Violent, Vimiera, Vittoria, Vivacious, Vivien, Vortigern, Vectis, Viceroy, and Viscount. Notes: Vortigern and Vectis built by White had ribbed funnels. Viceroy and Viscount built by Thornycroft had larger second funnels.

V-class destroyers completed with mine rails: Vanquisher, Vanoc, Vehement and Venturous.

V-class destroyers with mine rails added after completion: Velox, Versatile, Vesper, Vimiera, Vittoria, and Vortigern.

I'm going to rearrange the wish list to include "V" class completed as destroyers, "V" class completed with mine rails "V" class, White built, "V" class, "V" class Thornycroft specials, and "V" class with 5 torpedo tubes.

Don S.
"When a fire starts to burn,
here's a lesson you must learn:
something-something and you'll see
you'll avoid catastrophe."
D'oh!

Submariner

A vote for the Japanese Navy

Post by Submariner »

I'd like to throw in a vote for the IJN CV Shinyo, converted German liner that had been stranded in Japan at the outbreak of the war. Also wanted to get this string back to the front!
All things Japanese Naval

Submariner

A vote for the Japanese Navy

Post by Submariner »

I'd like to throw in a vote for the IJN CV Shinyo, converted German liner that had been stranded in Japan at the outbreak of the war. Also wanted to get this string back to the front!
(sent twice but oh well....)
All things Japanese Naval

Mikee
E5

Post by Mikee »

Howdy, stranger. I was beginning to think that all Micronauters were gone. Admittedly I haven't been doing anything with my ships for monthsssss. Several months ago I "started" work on the Duquesnes, and even put the turrets and other parts on little 'tweezers' so l could paint them. ----- And there they sit, to this day. At 80 (I didn't believe that I would ever get that old) I don't seem to have any energy to do anything USEFUL, that is.

It's beginning to look like it may be a while - if ever - befor GHQ issues anything new. OTOH, I haven't yet brought their last few models from my supplier, so I guess I've got no complaint.

If any of you haven't yet checked out WTJ, you might look at their offerings. They've gone into WWII. Among other things, they're putting out several variants of the Fletcher class DDs. That's too late for me, because I painted about 50 of the GHQ Fletchers in all of the different camo patterns several years ago. Can't imagine doing that again, although I still have to paint most of the DE patterns.

Sorry if there's any (non-deliberate) typos in this message, kbut my eyes aren't what they used to be.

Take Care, people, and stay healthy.

Michael "Mikee" C.

Brutzel
E5

Post by Brutzel »

How about the (1952) USS Antietam (CV-36)? (E.s.s.e.x. class)
"Antietam was fitted with a port sponson in 1952 to make her the world's first true angled-deck aircraft carrier."

Commissioned: 28 January 1945
Decommissioned: 21 June 1949
Recommissioned: 17 July 1951
Decommissioned: 8 May 1963
Fate: Scrapped 28 February 1974

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Antietam_(CV-36)

CG2
E5

Re: Consolidated Micronaut Wish List

Post by CG2 »

Added from my other thread based on the selection criteria recently revealed by GHQ (all Age of Sail) :

Ok, the data as is shows that the top 5 items are all merchants/privateers as follows :

New Britain Whaler
391 USA Privateer Baltimore
New Generic Merchant 200 ton Collier
261 Generic Schooner 8 guns
New Generic Brig Merchant

These were all used extensively by all nations in large quantities - the Baltimore is the exception but that gained from the bonus for being a US item. Warships would appear in the list if we changed the assumption that people who bought GHQ would not buy from Competitor A but I'm not sure that would be correct.

So according to the GHQ recommendation rules (as slightly modified by me), the top two new choices would be :

- Whalers - operated in large numbers by all countries, especially in US waters where they were notably and frequently attacked by US Privateers. Not made by a Competitor.
- 200 ton Collier - for exactly the same reasons as above and often assembled into large convoys which make for interesting (and historical) encounters.
CG2

CG2
E5

Post by CG2 »

Donald's gone very quiet - anybody heard from him?
CG2

StarCruiser
E5

Post by StarCruiser »

Haven't heard anything lately - could be busy with life...ya know?

I would suggest maybe adding these for variety in the US Navy:

32 gun Frigate E55ex
Either Sloop of War Hornet or Wasp

(That censor system really chaps my hide!)
"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of java that the thoughts acquire speed. The hands acquire the shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion." - Programmer's Mantra

CG2
E5

Post by CG2 »

If people had lives they wouldn't be on this forum......let's hope he's ok.

Not sure either of those would score highly on GHQ's declared selection criteria - they're cool for Americans but you'd only ever buy a single item and E55ex is available already from Competitor A and B. That said, the Sherman factor is strong.
CG2

StarCruiser
E5

Post by StarCruiser »

Here's a crazy one - simple and cheap project. Could increase sales of two existing models...

Alternate stern pieces for:

USF Constitution - one a simple mod to look more like USF President and one with "roundhouses" and raised rails around the quarterdeck for USF United States. All three ships looked very similar during their careers (there were differences but, many would hard to tell in 1/1200). Another could be included specifically to turn USF Constellation into her nearly identical sister USF Congress.

A similar approach could also be done for some of the other existing models that had many sisters like HMS Bellona and the French twins (L'Achille and Le Superbe).

If you think about it, the HMS Hamadryad and the Spanish La Diana are identical save for the stern piece. That approach could be used to "Engishify" (is that a word?) some of the French ships since more that were retained by the Royal Navy were at least repaired before being brought into commission, and those repairs often involved alterations to the ship. Can't do much about some of the changes to the deck (improved ventilation) and changed out capstans and the like but still...?
"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of java that the thoughts acquire speed. The hands acquire the shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion." - Programmer's Mantra

CG2
E5

Post by CG2 »

I'd certainly be interested in those. My biggest fear for this range is less what GHQ will select but whether it will produce anything - it's been a while since they released a new model in this range and I'm not seeing much support on this forum.
CG2

StarCruiser
E5

Post by StarCruiser »

It's a pretty specialized line to start with. There is SOME interest in the US for it but, much more so over there - across the pond.

I really think that releasing the "Full Sail" line was a mistake and may have colored their view of the value of the entire line. This is part of why I think it needs a bit of a rethinking in general.

I've routinely heard on - TMP and other sites - people describing the hulls of GHQ's AoS line as "exquisite" and I have always agreed with that but, they also tend to be less impressed by the masts and sails. I think the sails themselves look excellent but yes, they are too heavy and thick. They are also solidly attached to the masts and can't be angled properly to the wind (should be off to "larboard" or starboard).

I do have some VERY old first releases that have the masts and sails separate but, the masts were just a piece of wire so..? Going back to the separate sails and masts would allow for better detail on both - thinner castings for the sails (i.e. less weight and cost of material) and more options on how you build the ship miniature out.

I don't know how the folks at GHQ feel about it - of if they have even seen any of these conversations but, I know the line is worth saving and expanding - it just needs some reworking first.

CG2
E5

Post by CG2 »

The other problem is that if people want to replace the sails they would go to Competitor A and once they are there......

However, that works in reverse so if GHQ produce something that Competitor A does not, people will probably pick up other things too.
CG2

Donald M. Scheef
E5

Post by Donald M. Scheef »

I'm back on line. Sorry for the interruption. New, updated Consolidated Micronaut Wish List will be posted as soon as I finish recent additions, probably some time Thursday.

Donald S.
"When a fire starts to burn,
here's a lesson you must learn:
something-something and you'll see
you'll avoid catastrophe."
D'oh!

ww2navyguy
E5

Post by ww2navyguy »

Don, so glad you are back. Just didn't feel the same without your postings.

With the new website, I was trying to find the post you did in the past where you went nation by nation for each class of ship that was still missing from GHQ's WW2 micronauts line and evaluated a score for each model's worth for GHQ to consider making that model. Don, would you still have that information? I found a lot of value in your ** CENSORED ** and scoring you gave for each missing model and would love to see the lists again for my future Micronauts wish list considerations.

Thanks in advance if you can find the lists.

Scott