Share your battlefield pitfalls and hijinx

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

HKurban
E5

Share your battlefield pitfalls and hijinx

Post by HKurban »

Just curious as to what the craziest displays of luck (good and bad), rule bending, or otherwise crazy outcomes you guys have had on the micro armor battlefield.

I'll start off with a scenario where a U.S. light inf company + 1 SFOD A team was assaulting a Russian occupied town in Poland. The SFOD team attempted to commandeer a pair of civilian vehicles in order to infiltrate the Russian lines unnoticed. The SF team happened upon a pair of cars heading down a country road, and tried to kick out the occupants. There must have been a stubborn old Polish couple in the car because by the time they were actually able to get anywhere near the Russian lines, the battle was already halfway over. Most useless Special Forces deployment in history.
Its a sniper rifle, not a "sniper"! You don't call an assault rifle an "assault"!

First Command Master Gunnery Staff Sergeant Major First Class of the Army (1CMGSSMFCOTA, E-25)

BaronvonFrank

Tabletop Screwups

Post by BaronvonFrank »

Hey, bud!

There's already a thread working on this. Nice story, by the way! If your special forces can't rip folks out of a car they'll have trouble removing the enemy. Better head back to training!

http://www.ghqmodels.com/forum/viewtopi ... highlight=

~BaronvonFrank

RaccoonEmpire

Post by RaccoonEmpire »

I was playing in a late North Africa campaign on the Allies team, when I found my mangled infantry units having to hold a town. The game was being run with fog of war rules with a ref, so unless you sent units on recon you didn't know what was in the next zone( off table ). So I get my infantry ready for the Germans, and sure enough here they come, charging over the hill with lots of infantry and panzers!! The German players( equally blind as to just what is in the town, outside of what they can see...some grunts and halftracks) launches a cautious attack with their infantry on the northside of town, and two 8-Rads( why?). Well, my boys wait till they get into effective fire range then light them up( M.G., rifle, and mortar fire). The Germans back off after losing A stand of infantry and both 8-rads. Sooo...why not a flank attack? The Germans send several stands of infantry over another hill on eastside of town where they run into a defending M16 MGMC halftrack( and more mortar fire). Result...Germans flee over the hill...with no losses. Well the German players have had enough, rally and organize for a full assault, panzers and all...and charge forth they do!! Now there was no way for my plucky troops to hold the town long enough for the British player and the American armor task force was well away from this area. Well, I figured I would try and bloody them a bit and then run like hell toward an area I knew was covered by heavy artillery. Suddenly, from the western side of the table, a group of armor shows up...flanking the Germans!! The British player is here, and early!! Then I look at the "armor"...a small group of bren gun carriers( two with Boys AT rifles...woo-hoo...) and four Valentines( 2pdrs.). My thought was "oh no...they are going to get smeared by all these PzIII's and their 50mm guns", and the German armor outnumbered the British, 4 to 1. "Well at least the fight will be interesting...but the outcome the same as before" I thought. Then the German players suddenly, in almost a panic, turned their force around and put some distance between the British and my town...and dissapeared over the hill they had started from. I sat there bewildered at the German retreat, but thankful that they ran.

Once the final actions were made( mere movement to positions...and the Germans putting more mileage between us) the ref called the match, and prepared for the next area to be contested. But he had been shaking his head and finally got the Germans together, set the models of a Valentine and Bren carrier in front of the German players and asked "Do you know what these are?" The anwers were..."Tanks", "British Tanks", and " I don't know"... all they understood was that they were threatened on their flank. He explaned what they were, and their capablity...the look of horror on the German players was priceless. And there was no going back to the town, because by that time a whole lot of British troops, arty, and decent armor had moved into town.

Lesson: Know your enemy, and have some vehicle I.D. skill( or at least grab the "AFVs of WW2" off the bookshelf). :)

But then that whole campaign was pretty wacky.
SIC LUCEAT LUX

Zippy

Post by Zippy »

I was running a early 1942 russian front game for are group which did not have its historical gamers there.
Well the germans had Stug's with the short 75's and Pz III 's with 50s and 222's Armoured cars.

They used the 222 properly to begin with probing to find the russian but when they did they kept going and what they had found was KV 1 and 2' :s so that was the end of the armoured cars. :shock:
Then they charged straight at the KV's with the stugs with the same result :roll:
The player with the PZ III's found russian BA-10 AC's and Dipacthed them then found T34/76's and and it was pretty even but the wineing from the stug commander was to much and the the germans gave up.
Even with info about heavy Russia's somewhere when you dont know your AFv's
you end up dead.
You would think when somethinf as Big as a KV2 apears you might not want to charge it :wink:
Mike

groundlber
E5

Gameboard Hijinks

Post by groundlber »

Many years ago I took part in a fictional NATo vs WARPAC campaign. I was one of the NATO players. Our first "big" offensive involved Marines trying to capture an island for it's port and airfield. It turned out the Warpac's had just landed an advance guard, but our Marine Battalion airlanded before the bad guys main force arrived. We had a pair of Phantoms for ground attack and top cover (love those dedicated missle hard points). To show the scale of the action, the two Phantoms were a major portionof our available aircraft. Anyway, the Soviets sent a gaggle of Suhkoi's and MiG's in to attack our position. I think they were the air strike for their airborneforce. I ordered our fighters to engage the Soviets. To my utter surprise, the Soviets broke off before engaging! They called off their landing, also. The Soviet player later told me he was convinced we had some sort of ambush or cunning plan. I told him, "Nope, we were just desparate".
The NATO players' morale really skyrocketed after that incident.
Groundlber

Gompel
E5

Post by Gompel »

Great, I love those little stories! Seems 'fear' is a main factor, which should not be underestimated. Even in games! :D

HKurban
E5

Post by HKurban »

Was this a player mortar commander or an NPC mortar commander? Either way, guy either has to grow some certain masculine features or be taken out to pasture.
Its a sniper rifle, not a "sniper"! You don't call an assault rifle an "assault"!

First Command Master Gunnery Staff Sergeant Major First Class of the Army (1CMGSSMFCOTA, E-25)

Panzerleader71
E5

Post by Panzerleader71 »

"...has to grow some certain masculine features or be taken out to pasture."

Nah, just take the SOB out behind the wood pile, and beat him until he can see in infra red.
The moral high ground: A good place to site your artillery.