Show us yer stuff!

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

chrisswim
E5

Re: Show us yer stuff!

Post by chrisswim »

Logistics

Chris

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

Like the convoys, Chris. Need some security vehicles.
All blessings flow from a good mission statement.
Pogo was right. So was Ike.
"A Gentleman is a man who is only rude intentionally." (Churchill)
Give credit. Take responsibility.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Looking good Chris! What are the buildings made out of?
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

Security vehicle for PG.

Chris

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

M1Abrams bridge layers.

Chris

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Here come the French! I’m working on a couple French companies in NATO camo, but I thought I would try some desert camo on the leftover vehicles. I’ve seen pics of the AMX-30 in desert camo from Desert Storm, and that’s what I tried to replicate here. I don’t think they had AMX-10Ps in the desert, but I tried the same camo pattern anyway just to see how it looks. I think I got a better wash on the AMX-30 than on the AMX-10. For some reason I am still struggling to get a good dark wash on my vehicles!

Beagle
E5

Post by Beagle »

Those look really good, your stuff is getting better all the time Red!

Mk 1
E5

Post by Mk 1 »

They eye-candy is flying fast and furious around here!

PolishGI -- I really like your infantry. The detailing is always something I admire -- my own abilities on infantry kind of start and end on "I put a blob of flesh tone on the front of the head". Your work really stands up well under the close-up eye of the camera. It's a good thing my photography skills are no better than they are so that the absence of finer details can be blamed on something other than my modelling/painting skills.

And ... I also appreciate the work you have done on basing them. I try really hard to build up the material on the stand to hide the cast-on base of the figures. I give credit to ACWBill for teaching me as much as i know on the subject in my current technique. But he is a far better practitioner at it than I. And it appears you are too. The basing of those figures is entirely seamless to my eye. Really well done.

Cris'm -- speaking of fast and furious ... quite the road show you have going there. I really appreciate the logistics stuff (and the engineering kit too). So often overlooked, or given short shrift in the painting department. I used to kind of have a baggy full of trucks to pull out when I needed one or three. But I find that good looking logistics vehicles (and a variety of log vehicles) adds to the richness of a game, whether it is adding to the game play by providing complicating factors in victory conditions, or it's just aesthetics by adding decorations around the play area (like moving terrain pieces or something. Looks like you can offer quite a bit into that particular category of +1's.

Redleg -- I too have AMX30s and AMX10s. Such interesting looking vehicles, and both going is somewhat different directions from their peers. Mine are in NATO colors, but the moment I saw yours I thought "Oooh, Desert Storm! Should I ...?" They do look so good!

As to the washes ... I am a full fledged devotee of washes. What little I know come from the tutorials Troy Ritter posted here on this forum so long ago, although his method was built on enamels and I don't get quite the same results as I use mostly acrylics (well, does ANYONE get the same results Troy used to show us here? Maybe Pete... certainly not me!). I describe the process as "Take the tank you have so meticulously painted, and cover it entirely with gray/black or brown/black wash. Move on to the next, and the next. Now that you have 3 or 4 of them, go back and realize you've just RUINED all that work you did. Time to PANIC! Take a flat-edged brush, wet it, and try like h3ll to get all that black crud off of the tank. Squeeze out the brush, wet it again, and go at it a 2nd or 3rd time. But you have no time to waste, you have to do tanks #2, 3 and 4 as well! Fast, before that black crud dries and becomes permanent! NOW that you got most of it off, sit back and examine your work. Like magic! They actually look good. Breath again. Now move on to the next set of tanks."

I still panic every time. But I do it to every vehicle I paint, and it still works.

Your tankage may vary.

-Mark
-Mark 1
Difficile est, saturam non scribere.
"It is hard NOT to write satire." - Decimus Iunius Juvenalis, 1st Century AD

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Thanks guys! Yes Mark! That is exactly how I feel when I apply a wash!

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

Red, fabulous French vehicles. You have it, If need be, but another coat of wash, .... be careful. I did it several times on some vehicles and a few were almost black.....

Mk1,
Thank you, glad you like the stuff, junk, logistics. Oh, engineering stuff, too.
Chris

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

I got some more work done on my modern French force: 1 platoon each of AMX-30 tanks and AMX-10 IFVs. My French armored battle group will eventually have a battalion of each vehicle type, plus LeClercs, VABs, AMX-10RCs, GCTs, and Caesars. (Developing grandiose plans is one of my major character flaws).

I do need some help from you guys. How do you put a good wash onto a vehicle that’s painted camouflage? I tried to put a black wash on these and then do some dry brushing on top of the respective colors, but it doesn’t look like it did much good. What techniques do you guys use on vehicles with paint jobs like this?

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Very nice work, Redleg! That is definitely a bit more unusual to see French in desert camo. I don't have any Modern French in my collection. I do have some Cold War West Germans, British, and Americans that need some attention at some point.

Do you have any plans to use these in a game?

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Thanks Pete! No plans for gaming them just yet. I have a policy that if any of the web specials on the GHQ site pique my interest I will buy a pack of them, and that evolved into plans for a French battle group. I got to work with some French troops in 2001 and I was pretty impressed with them, so I thought I'd get a unit together just for fun.

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Fun is good! Ultimately, it is the reason I do this. Keep em coming, Redleg!

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Here are a few random pictures from my solo game of Mein Panzer I completed a couple weeks ago. For more pictures and narrative you can see those at Pete's Place on the Forum. This game was a classical matchup between Panzer IIIs and IVs against T-34s on the Russian Front in the Summer of '43.