Show us yer stuff!

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

chrisswim
E5

Re: Show us yer stuff!

Post by chrisswim »

Thank you Redleg.

Using GHQ WW2 Germans in the back, seared infantry, want the Frotz helmet.

Chris

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

MBT-70
Chris

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

Added 6 more Hummvs with infantry in the back.

Chris

Mortis57
E5

Post by Mortis57 »

The first batch of 1/600th helicopters for a friend (about 90 to go). They still need a coat of matt varnish (like a lot of my stuff recently). I promise to go and get a pot/bottle tomorrow! Helicopters by Oddzial Osmy; Paints by Humbrol, Vallejo, and Games Workshop; Decals by Flight Deck Decals.
Oddzial Osmy.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Nice work you guys!
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

E5

Post by 7.62 »

Looking good everyone.

I am in two minds over the scale for my Karmanaskis helicopter fleet.
My fixed wing will be 1/600 for mass (always one in 1/285) but the helis may have to stay 1/285 to mingle with the troops.
The boats are 1/2400 save for a few smaller landing craft.

But...... 1/600 helis mmm! Bigger fleet :D

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

Mortis,
Awesome looking helicopters. Look great.
Chris

Mortis57
E5

Post by Mortis57 »

7.62 wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:55 pm
But...... 1/600 helis mmm! Bigger fleet :D
Yeah, on average you'd get about 17 times as many for the same amount of money - at least here.

TLDR:
There's a shop in the UK that imports both the GHQ and Oddzial Osmy ranges, so I thought I'd do a little comparison.

Rounding down (and assuming that my maths is right) this means at 1/600th you get*:
16 Mi-8s for the price of a 1/285th Mi-8
22 Mi-24s for the price of a 1/285th Mi-24
13 Mi-26s for the price of a 1/285th Mi-26
*if you could buy them individually rather than in packs of x.

I'm not sure who produces the C3R20 Mi-8s but they're 1/1200th scale and work out more expensive than the 1/600th helo's.

Obviously the GHQ helicopters are much nicer but for their size the Oddzial Osmy ones aren't bad detail-wise.
/TLDR

Mortis57
E5

Post by Mortis57 »

chrisswim wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 11:40 pm
Mortis,
Awesome looking helicopters. Look great.
Thanks Chris. I've just started batch 2 - 8 MI-2s and 8 MI-28s.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Great looking helicopter Gazza! I have a ton of 1/600 scale aircraft, but I too have wrestled with helicopters. For the most part, I am sticking with 1/285 for helicopters that interact with ground units, like the air troops in my ACR. But if its something like a search and rescue bird I stick to 1/600. All of my fixed wing aircraft are 1/600 these days.

I'm very impressed with the decals! I'm too scared to try decals on 1/285 aircraft - there's no way I can handle 1/600 decals!

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

I have started on a new project, and I need some help from the Sherman experts. I am starting on some Korean War units (which look just like WW2 units!) and I’m not sure which direction the color needs to go.

I’m starting with a pair of M4A3E8s, and I did them with different shades of green for the base coat. The one on the left (with the mold line on the turret that I apparently didn’t file off) was painted with Tamiya Field Grey (XF-65). The one on the right was painted with Tamiya NATO Green (XF-67).

Were Shermans typically more of a gray-green color, or more of a green-green? I’m planning to use the same color for M26s and M46s as well.

Thanks for your help fellas!

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

Those look nice, Redleg.

Chris

Mortis57
E5

Post by Mortis57 »

redleg wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2023 10:02 am
Were Shermans typically more of a gray-green color, or more of a green-green? I’m planning to use the same color for M26s and M46s as well.
Ah! The perennial Olive Drab question. :-)

Here's a few OD variants from 'Real Colors of World War II' by AK Interactive.

And an article on OD by Steve Zaloga.

All that said, I prefer the green-green to the grey-green of your two Shermans. Although looking at that post war paint chip, maybe the grey-green is more accurate. I guess it also depends on whether or not the vehicles are new from the factory, have been recently repainted in the post war shade, or are WW2 veterans that have been kept in storage etc.

<pondering Korean War armour> I wonder if I could persuade Dan to do a decal sheet with some of the tiger face markings seen on various vehicles?

BTW the Korean War is one of the reasons that I want a few M45 tanks for my M26s - they did see some action there!

Mortis57
E5

Post by Mortis57 »

Something for myself this time.

I think I mentioned sometime ago that I'd acquired a whole lot of micro armour from a friend who was selling up. Anyway, in that collection were 5 Elefants which I'm now getting around (10_ years later) to repainting to match my others.

The final plan is to be able to field elements of schwere Panzerjäger-Abteilung 653. Maybe a whole company and some of the supports - not the whole battalion - honest ;-)

I'm basing it around this army list (from Micromark):

The items in bold and highlighted in yellow are the models I've already got.

Here's what I've got so far:

<edit>fixed typo and added this additional comment. I've got 4 Scotia SdKfz 11 that I may use as the recovery variant.

Ignore the KV and Command buses and trailers at the front - they're not part of the unit.

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Hi Redleg

Korean War Shermans are out of my area of expertise, assuming I have any expertise at all. I personally like the gray-green a bit better based on the photos but Gazzas color chart is helpful.

Gazza, are you doing them as Elephants or Ferdinands? The Ferdinands came out in time for Kursk and the survivors were later withdrawn around November-December 1943 to be rebuild as the Elephant.

I painted some of the GHQ ones a while back. I painted 3 of them in the later scheme but one of them I painted in the "web" camo that you see at Kursk for at least some of the Ferdinands there.