Show us yer stuff!

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

8ball
E5

Post by 8ball »

Boy, ya got that right MK-1. There's some really sweet stuff here. Tom's terrain stands out due to it's non-tank subject matter. But there are some really excellent examples of talent and hard work here.

BattlerBritain
E5

Post by BattlerBritain »

Some really nice stuff here.

Mage Knight Kevin: makes we wish I was back in Edmonton. Spent a Summer there years ago, staying with my Uncle and Aunt who live there. Worked at the International airport for a company called Northwest Industries, now Spar Aviation. Really great bunch of people.

Had some great gaming times there as well. I remember a games shop not far from West Ed Mall that was open all day and night and was next door to a pizza parlour? Is it still there? Great fun with the guys there.

Mage Knight Kevin

The War Room

Post by Mage Knight Kevin »

BattlerBritain wrote:I remember a games shop not far from West Ed Mall that was open all day and night and was next door to a pizza parlour? Is it still there?
Battler,
I'm kind of new to the city myself. I'm not sure about the shop you're refering to. I think the largest game club in the city is "The War Room". A couple of guys rent a basement under a furniture store. They're open three times a week and have about 50 members. Their regular WWII game is Flames of War.

Best,
Kevin.

Hetzen
E5

Post by Hetzen »

Thanks for the explaination Tom, your work is outstanding and I have visited your web page on a few occasions now. I've been dabbling with blue foam hexes I've made with a table saw jig, which have come out very well. I've painted them with a sandy hue mixed with some sand to give a great texture, but the woodland scenic flock I'm using gives a very flat result. Adding clump follage breaks that up somewhat, but I want more cover in what I'm creating, so using your idea for small hills is the way to go.

My hexes are 3/4" deep, so I'd also like to get some gullies/indents in them too, so I'd be interested in ideas on cutting these out, so that they join up well with other hexes.

But I'd really like to know what sort of flock Pushbike used, it's a lot more 'hairy-er' than the stuff I've seen in the shops. If anyone has any ideas on what he's using, could they let me know.

Luca
E5

Post by Luca »

I would like to know where Rafraf purchased the bunker aside the Shermans.

The rest of the pictures are simple fantastic. I hope soon I'll post something mine.

Thunder
E5

Post by Thunder »

The bunker looks like the ones that are on eBay from some guy in Poland. I don't think he makes them, just sells them. He doesn't have much for sale right now, but his eBay name is sosna1. Its too pricey for me too, but when he sometimes has some really appealing stuff. The bunkers are probably available elsewhere too.

Mage Knight Kevin

Question for rafraf

Post by Mage Knight Kevin »

Rafraf,

Are your insignia hand-painted? They look great.

Kevin.

pushbike
E5

ref question from Hetzen

Post by pushbike »

Hello Hetzen.

Here are some of the techniques I have developed for Terrain maker tiles,
I think one of the important things with terrain maker is speed of manufacture and my technique is very quick and effective.

The tiles are painted with emulsion paint, In the UK you can take a swatch of colour ( you favourite Valejo, games workshop earth colours) into a hardware shop and get a litre of matching emulsion made up in the shop.
A great way of getting realistic coloured paints very cheap £5 a litre if i remember!

whilst still wet a llitter scatter of Chincilla dust (very light fine sand from a pet shop) this high lights the exposed earth areas.
The Chincillas dont mind me pinching a handful from their dust bath!

Let it dry overnight and cover grassy areas with cheap PVA glue. cheap is good, childs glue is nice and cheap.

My static grass is made from 2 parts woodland scenics harvest gold, 2 parts ws burnt grass,1 part games workshop static grass and 1 part GW flock.
The Games workshop stuff is quite a bright green and livens up the blend.
all the grass is then chopped on a cutting board to shorten it, pain but well worth it.

I also add a varied selection of clumps and bushes from the Woodland scenics range.

tools i use for cutting gouging hexes are

a lino cutter heating with a candle for road ditches etc.

A heated wire cutter. saves being covered in polystrene 'snow'.

also a little filler smooths out the gaps and stops too many hexes being flat as a pancake.

Chris.

ps the crops in the other picture is woodland Scenic Harvest Gold straight out the packet highlighted with acrylic paint.

jb
E5

Post by jb »

Nice work pushbike-JOLLY GOOD SHOW ! SA !
John

Hetzen
E5

Post by Hetzen »

Thanks pushbike. There's some very sage advice there.

Like yourself, I like to churn out batches of modelling. I hadn't thought of making blends before, or using very short cuts of static grass and the 'chincilla dust' is inspired :lol:

I've also heard that hamster bedding makes very good explosion markers, being naturally grey, glued to coin bases, so a trip to the petstore this weekend. I wonder if they make sandstone cat litter?

Cheers

HMSDiomede
E5

Post by HMSDiomede »

Hey Mk.1, here's the Romanian 5th Cavalry Brigade's recon company (1:platoon scale) with attached armored car platoon. Right behind the SdKfz.222 is one of those horrible little H+R R-1's. Did the best I could to make it look presentable.

Also finally finished painting the 6th Rosoiri Regiment. Next in line for painting will be those GHQ R-2's for the 1st Armored.

David

HMSDiomede
E5

More of my stuff...

Post by HMSDiomede »

Finished repainting the Soviet 72nd Guards Heavy Tank Regiment

I don't consider myself a "heavy metal" kind of guy, but sometimes you just can't help yourself. GHQ's JSII's are just too cool.....

David

jb
E5

Post by jb »

Very nice work HMS- the infantry must be mounted on 1/2" X1/2" game counters.
JOOLY GOOD SHOW ! SA !
John

Kurner

Post by Kurner »

First time poster, long time lurker. Finally got around to taking a somewhat good photo (although I'd still prefer to have natural light - seems I never remember during the daylight hours).

Trees were inspired by the terrain guide in GHQ's catalogue, as was the winter theme. I've painted minis before, but only 28mm Games Workshop stuff. Can anyone give suggestions? I use a mix of paints, mostly GW and cheap craft store stuff. I'm thinking of picking up a few GHQ colours next time I order anything.

Great stuff everyone!

tstockton
E5

Post by tstockton »

Kurner,

First off, welcome to our little corner of the world!

As for your picture -- well done! I don't think the lighting is a problem -- though I have to admit I've had trouble with my own... but since you're not asking for commentary on a particular color (which I did), the lighting may be a little less critical.
Trees were inspired by the terrain guide in GHQ's catalogue
If I may offer some commentary on your trees -- I've made a few the same way, with twisted picture-hanging wire. (At least, that's what I've used, and yours look similar to mine... I suppose that could also be braided "lamp cord" or somesuch.) But if you want to "smooth out" the twists in the wire -- especially in the trunk -- may I suggest a not-too-thick mix of Durham's water putty and an appropriate color of paint? The mix will fill in between the individual wires, giving a more "rounded" or "solid" look. And by mixing the putty with paint instead of water, you "dye" the putty to a color of your choosing... and if (when?) you accidentally "bump" against your tree and a little bit flakes off, the remaining putty still has your "tree color". You can also use Sculpey -- which is what I did for the trunks -- when baked, the Sculpey becomes very hard and (relatively) durable...

Yes, it is a little more work... but personally, I find the results worth that effort. Guess "too many years" in model railroading, and some "dabbling" in 1/35 scale armor / dioramas has made me a little more critical... Or is it (in part) the fine work I've seen others post here? Either way, keep up the good work -- I look forward to more of your pictures!

Regards,
Tom Stockton
"Well, I've been to one World's Fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones. You sure you got today's codes?"

-- Major T. J. "King" Kong in "Dr. Strangelove"