Show us yer stuff!

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

redleg
E5

Re: Show us yer stuff!

Post by redleg »

Your work is amazing Bill!

Mark, those are great looking tanks! I can't believe you got the tag pieces to look that good!
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

Mk.1
The M60 A1 were from auctions on eBay, group buys at conventions wanting something else, etc.
In the following pictures these M60 A1 had broken barrels. I used a dryer sheet that was painted a dark color of green. After glueing the styrene to a smooth flat area of the turret/barrel. I then put glue on the tank’s barrel then apply the net. I get a bit of glue on a couple of fingers as a bonus.

I used the dryer sheet as I could not find my Cheese Cloth.
The Abrams on the left is where I used Cheese Cloth, it looks more like netting, so it works for me. Previously I used black pantyhose, but the elasticity was a bit difficult to glue on the turret or the hull to look like a net.

Several of the turrets below have netting at the back. One of those turrets was for an M-1 with a broken 105. I used styrene that I use for 120mm gun so I used netting to camouflage the shorter turret that doesn’t have a bustle rack in back.
Another turret is an old M1 with the thicker barrel, guess early - mid 1980s. So I used netting again to portray an M1A1.

Chris

BurtWolf
E5

Post by BurtWolf »

Nets look awesome!

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

The camo netting looks really good, Chris!

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

Gentlemen, thank you for your kind remarks.

HAD to buy more Cheese Cloth, could not find previous pack.

Finished painting the M60 A1, added camo netting. Cut the cheese cloth into pieces, spray painted solid color. 2-3 shades of a dark green and the a Satin Hunter green.

Here are a few pictures with cheese cloth used as camo netting. IMHO, better that dryer sheets.

Chris

WARdROBE

Post by WARdROBE »

I’m curious how this is going. I’ve considered this for games where the stands are platoons or bigger.
Extra Crispy wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:06 am
Experimenting with 2mm buildings. Here is a town base I built. Still need to finish the roads.

ACWBill
E5

Sherman Tanks Advance

Post by ACWBill »

US Sherman Tanks and Infantry advance into a ville late in the Ardennes fighting. They do so with caution and they fear the smoking Jagdtiger to be an elaborate German ruse.

"I was worse scared than I was at Shiloh" - Sam Watkins
Perryville, KY - October 8, 1862

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

Nice pictures, terrain, and set up.
Chris

Extra Crispy
E5

Post by Extra Crispy »

I finished it a while ago. Learned a lot, now working on a second.

Don't texture the roads. Looks "wrong"
Add sidewalks along roads
Need to get a better way to get glue on field edges - I had to do a lot of touching up.

WARdROBE wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:22 am
I’m curious how this is going. I’ve considered this for games where the stands are platoons or bigger.
Extra Crispy wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:06 am
Experimenting with 2mm buildings. Here is a town base I built. Still need to finish the roads.

Mark Severin
Owner, Scale Creep Miniatures
Author DeepFriedHappyMice.com

Mk 1
E5

Post by Mk 1 »

Bill -- I really like your pics. It is quite a feast for the eye to see such well constructed setting for the pics of the microarmor. Really pokes at my imagination!

Cris -- You say you prefer the cheesecloth versions of netting. I prefer your pics where you used the dryer sheets. I wonder if it might have to do with the difference of seeing them in person vs. only seeing the pics -- to my eye the cheesecloth is just a bit too heavy, while the dryer sheets appear more appropriate and to-scale. But as most of us recognize, a bit of exaggeration of the details can help in such small scales, bringing more attention from the eye to details that might otherwise wash-out from their small size.

Hmmm. Makes me wonder a bit.

Anyways, as another approach, here is how my most recent work with camo nets came out. In this case some camo netting spread over a tarp spread over a fuel depot.

This is a scratch-build of a fueling point for my game armor. The barrels that are visible are commercial product in the extra bits package available from a UK vendor. The tarp is aluminum foil. Under it is just a bit of balsa for bulk, and a few scratch-built barrel shapes cut from plastic rod. The tank is a GHQ Romanian R-2 (same as a German Pz 35t). The refueling crew figures are artillery and AT gun crewmen.

The camo netting is packing foam. This is the same type of foam that GHQ used so many years ago when their microarmor came in hinged snap-top plastic boxes. I still use that foam in plastic hinged boxes I buy at trading card shops to hold my finished armies, so I keep a fair bit of the foam about. A little bit, cut to approximate size, can be placed where I want it. Then liquid super-glue is applied. It seems to "melt" the foam down (don't know if it actually melts so much as just get mushed down and sticks that way, but whatever) and hardens it. Once the glue is dry it takes paint pretty well.

I've been using this technique for some time, as demonstrated in this pic of some of my US M3 TDs which were completed mumble-mumble years ago.

But alas this approach is only useful for matted/rolled/lay-about netting. I've never been able to come up with a way of modelling camo netting properly set-up on poles.

-Mark
-Mark 1
Difficile est, saturam non scribere.
"It is hard NOT to write satire." - Decimus Iunius Juvenalis, 1st Century AD

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

Nylon stockings is my go-to. Stretch it.
All blessings flow from a good mission statement.
Pogo was right. So was Ike.
"A Gentleman is a man who is only rude intentionally." (Churchill)
Give credit. Take responsibility.

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

Few more WIP pics…

Image Charlie don't surf!
"Don't do things by half."
GHQ BUILD THREAD

ACWBill
E5

Post by ACWBill »

MK1, love the tank destoyers. Are those the T-19? I can never keep the howitzer version and the French 75mm TD version straight. Anyway, well done. GI, love the BAR men.
"I was worse scared than I was at Shiloh" - Sam Watkins
Perryville, KY - October 8, 1862

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

I was only out of the loop for a couple days and loo at all the great stuff I missed! Spectacular work ill! Amazing photography and a great looking battlefield!

Great looking grunts Polish!

Mark, your fuel site is awesome! You need to post pics more often!
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

Mk 1
E5

Post by Mk 1 »

redleg wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:08 pm
You need to post pics more often!
Was that a request? I do requests, you know...
ACWBill wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:19 pm
Are those the T-19? I can never keep the howitzer version and the French 75mm TD version straight.
Let me see if I can help you out with that, Bill...

This is a company worth of 75mm GMC (Gun, Motor Carriage) M3. ie: Tank Destroyers. They use the US-built version of the M1897 "soixante-quinze" gun of WW1 fame. The 75mm guns in the Medium Tank M3 (Grant/Lee) and M4 (Sherman) both fired the same cartridge, although the M2 gun in the M4 tank was a bit longer (L40 vs. L36), and had slightly better performance.

This is not new work on my part. I think my M3s first appeared on this thread by about maybe page 5 or 6. So indeed mumble-mumble years ago.

This unit has made its way onto the wargaming table a few times now. As my Father was in the TDs in WW2, it is always a special event for me when I get to bring one of my TD units out.

This is a battery of 105mm HMC (Howitzer, Motor Carriage) T19. These were the Army's first self-propelled medium artillery pieces. They were present in the fighting in French North Africa, but (contrary to what Kelly's Heroes would have us believe) were obsoleted soon after, as the vehicle was not robust enough to stand up to repeated firing of the 105mm. It was quickly replaced by the 105mm HMC M7 (Priest).

Unfortunately I don't have a closer pic of these units. The 105mm is quite obvious from the recuperater above the barrel, and the lack of any sort of gun shield.

This is a firing section of 75mm HMC T30. These were the first "assault guns" available to the armored and cavalry units. The assault guns appear in Medium and Light Tank Company/Battalion, Armored Recon Battalion and Mech Cavalry Squadron TOEs, with a 2 or 3 gun section providing fire support to the unit.

They were used in North Africa and for a little while after, but were pretty quickly replaced by assault guns based on tank chassis.

Sidenote: If you would like to read about T30s in action, check out this article I researched, drafted and illustrated for "The Chieftain" on the first clash between US and German tanks in WW2: https://worldoftanks.com/en/news/chieft ... igui-pass/

There ya go. A bit of reading for your leisure-time pleasure.

-Mark
-Mark 1
Difficile est, saturam non scribere.
"It is hard NOT to write satire." - Decimus Iunius Juvenalis, 1st Century AD