Show us yer stuff!

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

Hoth_902
E5

Re: Show us yer stuff!

Post by Hoth_902 »

I finally got some pictures posted so I could show them here. The first picture shows how I made them. Each side of the box, with the barrier down the middle, is big enough for a deck of playing cards. I put the dividers in. Custom made for each box based on the piece size.

The second picture, found below is of the stryker boxes that I fabricated. They are full complete and each divider, between vehicles, are hand cut.

Quantity has a Quality all its own.

http://warriorbear.weebly.com/

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

Hoth,
Those boxes look soooooooo nice. Expensive looking, elegant.

JLTV, I added some weapon systems to these.

Chris

Gazza
E5

Post by Gazza »

Hoth
The photos corrected the image I had in my head when you mentioned playing cards. I was thinking of the clear plastic type boxes that people put Magic the Gathering (for example) collectable cards in. Those wooden boxes do look a similar method to the balsa / box wood trays I posted.

I'm currently (i.e. just started!) working on a bunch (just over 100 IIRC) of 1/600 Soviet helos for a friend.

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

Chris

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

Bradley ambulance waiting on Red Cross decal.

Bradley APC with m.g. Bucket

Logistics
Chris

Hoth_902
E5

Post by Hoth_902 »

Thanks for the feedback. The boxes look way more expensive than they are. Each box cost about $2.49 and I think each box needs about a buck or two of Bass wood to make the dividers. All and all, I think the boxes are cheaper, once complete, than the plastic ones GHQ sells. Its more time consuming and tedious than anything else. The only issue come from the vehicles with small little bendy bits that get glued on. They are super fragile and break easy... so I have to figure out a way to secure the vehicles better. I have been thinking about making removable dividers that can be set down once the vehicles are in place.. I can also put cross beams across so that it can stop the vehicles from moving up and down. I have to find the time to make the dividers and test a few concepts out.

The hardest part is that the boxes are not of the greatest quality and as a result, the divided section in each box are not the same size.. This sucks because making 5 boxes for Strykers should be as easy as measuring and fitting them into place after cutting.. But because they are not all the same size.. some sanding needed to happen to be able to fit the same number of vehicles in every box. I bought the boxes from Hobby lobby.

https://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-Hobbi ... ox/p/23280

Now if you are not concerned with them banging together, because you put a clear coat on them, you could just leave the dividers out and just put as many vehicles as you can fit in there. Then any gaps you can used some foam, like the green stuff you see in my pictures. Then fill the lid with the same green foam, also shown in the pictures I posted, and use a thin layer of bubble rap to fill in the void so they don't bounce up and down. The vehicles did two moves across country that way. Most did very well. I can post a picture if you are interested. O.. and you need to put a rubber band around them when moving them, because the lids will come open. For the vehicles with fiddly bits, I just used the GHQ storage boxes.. because I could position the vehicles better so they did not move around.

BenfromBrooklyn
E5

Post by BenfromBrooklyn »

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

I recently finished some wheeled vehicles for my new project (I need to learn to finish my old projects before starting new ones). I’m going to build a USMC force consisting of two battalion landing teams: one in NATO camo and one in desert tan. Camo BLT is first, and they need a LAR platoon!

I have the standard 4-vehicle platoon, plus a recovery vehicle and an AT section with 2 LAV-ATs. And no self-respecting FSO would deploy without some mortars, so I included 2 LAV Mortar vehicles for a total of 9 vehicles in the platoon.

Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

Gazza
E5

Post by Gazza »

redleg wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:50 am
<snip> (I need to learn to finish my old projects before starting new ones). <snip>
I don't think I'll ever finish my WW2 armies - there's always another unit type or equipment variant to get or to stretch the time period they can represent. Either earlier or later (including Wehrmacht '47 or early Cold War - mostly Korea in my case).

The best I could do is at least to finish the unit I'm currently painting before starting the next. :D

All that said, I've just 'Finnished' three FIAT G.50s.

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

Redleg, I like those Marines, those LAVs are very nice.
Gazza, are those Italian aircraft? Sharpe looking planes.

‘Logistics, I don’t know what they are but I need a lot of them.’

Chris

Gazza
E5

Post by Gazza »

chrisswim wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:45 am
Gazza, are those Italian aircraft? Sharpe looking planes.
They are indeed. FIAT G.50s (by Heroic & Ros IIRC - had them floating around for quite some time).

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

great looking fighters Gazza!

Nice trucks Chris!

Hoth_902
E5

Post by Hoth_902 »

Great work everyone. Nice to see some new pictures of people's work. Especially love the Marine LAVs in NATO Tri-color Redleg. They look great.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Thanks Hoth! And here is the next unit for the Battalion Landing Team: The AAV Platoon!

14 vehicles total. 12 are the AAVP troop carriers that make up the standard Amtrack platoon, plus an AAVC command vehicle and an AAVR recovery vehicle. Too bad there is no mortar version of this vehicle. I may need to create one!

The last 2 vehicles to be painted are the command and recovery vehicles and I did a much better job of dry brushing the green on these two than on the rest of the platoon. The troop carriers look shiny in these photos, though I don't really see the shininess when they are on the table.

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

Like that BLT!
All blessings flow from a good mission statement.
Pogo was right. So was Ike.
"A Gentleman is a man who is only rude intentionally." (Churchill)
Give credit. Take responsibility.