Canberra Class LHD

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

E5

Post by 7.62 »

Thomas.tmcc sorry.

Due to a defence review the LHD was deemed surplus after sea trials and was not taken in to service with my mini forces.
An inter govt exchange took place with a Southern partner.
The LHD was last seen in Florida well loaded with Aussie equipment.
The new operator is on the forum and my be able to help with new photos.

The exchange helped the Army in it's much needed modernization program.
However, as is the case in most short sighted defence reviews, events have overtaken predictions and a short fall in Naval capability needs to be addressed.

In other words I miss it and it's time to build another boat.
Maybe something like Enforcer/Bay class RFA.
I will be building a freelance Marine battalion, no heavy armour just need to move the landing craft and helos around.

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

Mick, (7.62) is correct, have observed the Canberra docking at N.S. Mayport. Was in for a few days and gone for over a month. Reports indicate F-35 testing, traing, flight operations. Operations also consisted of NH-90, SH-60, CH-47 along with F-35. I was invited to watch training of naval landing forced entry (simulated opposition) on beaches of Amelia Island. Just landing, cosolidation on beach, then extraction.
On the beach were 4 M1A1 AIM MBTs, 8 ASLAV-25, few trucks and 155mm guns, some Bushmasters and M113AS$ along with 4x4. Watching the Aussies utilize the LCM landing craft with 4 of them on the Canberra is amazing. Ships are nibble and robust, capable.
Chris

E5

Post by 7.62 »

Thomas ,I built (slapped together) the offending Canberra LHD.
I did use as a base the 1/400 Heller Charles de Gaulle carrier that I had on hand.
By the time I had hacked it down to what I needed there was very little carrier left.
Lots of plastic card and filler. Even my cut down look a like was about 36" long! A big boat.

If I was to have another go I would try to get hold of the 1/400 Finnjet ferry by Revell.
It would save a lot of time and effort having a much closer plan to that of the Canberra.
That or 100% scratch build.

A 1/288 scale LSD kit (about 19" long) seems to have found it's way into the basement over the Summer. When I have the chance it will go under the knife for an update.
I was thinking Fearless or maybe newer.
Size wise it will fit in better with my planned amphib battalion.
Cheers.

E5

Post by 7.62 »

Thomas, ref cost of 1/400 Finnjet by Revell. Not been in UK for two years but some of the smaller out of the way models shop have some real deals.

There is a shop (PM Hobbycraft) in Calgary, Canada,that's Cama's neck of the woods.
They had one 1 week ago for CAN$43.
I've never used their web site to buy anything but I think they ship overseas.
If anyone in Calgary AB can help it was at their North store (32nd st ?)

Cheers.

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

Thomas,
Hope that you like the pics of the Canberra. With the helos and F-35s on the deck. Thought I would also show the rear deck with a few Aussie tanks (M1A1 AIM), Bustmaster APCs.
Be sure as you build your carrier you post/send pics. Are you planning to work on the British carrier? Or just the Foch?
Chris

E5

Post by 7.62 »

Thomas if the Heller carriers are the same price, the C de G would be a better shape and size to start with. I once had the Foch too.

Found these pics of the butcher job in progress. Sorry if they are a repost.

Hi tec holding fixtures and precision alignment tooling.

Hope this may help.
Cheers.

E5

Post by 7.62 »

thomas.tmcc wrote:
i have 2 of the 1/288 LSD mate as well was thinking using them with LCACs ..

thomas[/quote

Great/simple minds think alike.
This is in no way a messed up 1/350 LCAC!
It is more of a messed up 1/285 Griffon Hoverwork 8100 Block 3.

Yes the Block 3 is for the 3 Lego blocks advanced construction.
Hope to complete and paint this week.

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

Mick,
Nice looking Griffon 8100 TD, Planning to land 200 troops from those are ya....? There is a commercial product, that appears to be able to carry a larger load that may have a ramp, but I may have scale off. I did see one with BV 206. I will be watching out for you.

Nice conversion, What did you start with? Thank you for sharing.
Chris
Chris