What's your choice in Airbrushes ?

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

Ivan

What's your choice in Airbrushes ?

Post by Ivan »

Hello Comrades, Would like to know what you prefer in airbrushes and why?. Do any of you have one that does a micro-line, been thinking that or hairline. Let me know what you like. Well enjoy your evening Comrades. Ivan :?

Cav Dog
E5

Post by Cav Dog »

I have an Iwata HP - B+ that I really like. It will spray a hairline so you can use it for detail work but it takes practice. The secret is to keep the air pressure low, say 10 psi or less. It has a double action trigger as well as a set screw to keep paint flow constant. I like gravity feed over suction. The only thing I don't like is the paint cup is too small if you are painting a lot of minis so my next one will be an HP - C+ which is basically the same airbrush with a larger cup. I also have a Badger 200 that is good for terrain and base coating but not detail work.

The compressor is as important as the airbrush. Look for one that allows you to adjust the pressure and a built in water filter. I have an Iwata Ninja Jet which is small and quiet and can be adjusted from 6 - 18 psi. It doesn't work with the Badger because it requires 30 psi so I also have an economy general purpose tool compressor. It will spray up to 120 psi but is heavy, noisy and really shouldn't be used in doors. It does have an integral air tank so I fill up the tank and then bring it into the studio to paint. The advantage is that I can use it for tires and with other air tools.

You can get good deals on airbrushes and compressors if you use the 40 - 50% off coupons that come in the paper or mail from craft stores like Michaels or art stores like Blick. Google Chicago Airbrush Supply for a good online store that offers just about every airbrush out there from economy models through professional models costing several hundred dollars.

Tactics are the opinion of the senior officer present.

AllenRockwell
E5

Post by AllenRockwell »

Ivan,

It really depends on the type of work you are doing and it you want a special airbrush that does one kind or work really well or one that does everything fairly well.

I've heard very good things about the Iwata brand but I have not every tried one in my 30 year career as a professional model maker.

For some reason when I got started in the trade I got a Badger airbrush and while I've tried a lot of other brands along the way, I've always gone back. I currently have a few of the Badger Anthem 155 models.... I find them to be a good general use airbrush that is good for most all of my needs. I always keep one with a fine tip and one with a medium ... and that's all I ever need.

Airbrushes are a lot like cars ... many people swear by an old dependable Chevy and others won't touch anything other than a BMW or Mercedes. It really comes down to what works for you and what does the job you need done.

The badger airbrushes have been a workhorse for me over the last 30 years. When you use them almost every day they will not last forever, you can keep replacing parts but eventually you just want a new one ... I have a drawer with every airbrush I've ever bought in it (I have no idea why I save them, I'm just crazy like that) and there are about a dozen in there. Not bad for 30 years of constant use.
Allen Rockwell
Owner, GameCraft Miniatures
GHQ Fanatic since 1978

My Micro Armor Blog www.allensmicroarmor.com

David F
E5

Post by David F »

Ivan,

Here is probably the best explanation about airbrush purpose and capabilities you will ever get. It is a seminar given by the owner of Badger: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsW-vN0_lHw

David

Ivan

Whats your choice in airbrushes ?

Post by Ivan »

Hello Comrades, Just like to thank you Cav. Dog , Cama , Allen and David F. for the all of your time and your information and the video web site . One last question I'am hoping to get a response from someone. And the question is this, does anyone have a airbrush that does a ( micron line ) would like to see a picture of the micron line compared against a hair line. Well that's it for now. Later Comrades, have a nice evening, Ivan :)

AllenRockwell
E5

Post by AllenRockwell »

David,

Thanks for the link to the video. I'm watching it now, about an hour into it and I've actually picked up a few tips. You're never too old (or experienced) to learn :)
Allen Rockwell
Owner, GameCraft Miniatures
GHQ Fanatic since 1978

My Micro Armor Blog www.allensmicroarmor.com

33YearsGHQ
E5

Post by 33YearsGHQ »

This is an excellent instructional video
Brad Anderson (enjoying GHQ since 1976)

David F
E5

Post by David F »

Ken Schlotfeldt's knowledge of his own, and his competitor's products, is outstanding. His level of honesty when speaking [about airbrushes] is refreshing and definitely welcomed.