Metal bases for Micronaughts?

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

WargameHub
E5

Metal bases for Micronaughts?

Post by WargameHub »

My group is just starting to get into Micronaughts and I'm having trouble finding a supplier for metal bases.

I'm a long time player of Microarmour using metal basing and have a lot of trays with magnetic sheets for storage and I like how they don't move around and get damaged.

Any recommendations on where to go for ship bases?
NH Wargamer Alliance

tomc300

Post by tomc300 »

I use magnetic bottom bases from Litko USA. [direct link removed per forum rules - cama]
They come in a staggering array of rectangular sizes perfect for even the biggest
1:2400 scale ship.

WargameHub
E5

Post by WargameHub »

Thanks, I will take a look at those.

dragon6
E5

Post by dragon6 »

tomc300 wrote:I use magnetic bottom bases from Litko USA. [direct link removed per forum rules - cama].
Wait. What? I thought that this was OK as long as it wasn't something GHQ makes or sells?

This is just something that helps GHQ. Now if they ever start selling bases I can see it
Ray

Mk 1
E5

Post by Mk 1 »

Cama is, of course, correct.

It is a bit of a curiosity that members of the forum have somehow convinced themselves that links are OK if they are companies that do not sell competing products. That has never been the standard stated by GHQ, nor the standard applied by your friendly demi-gods (ie: MODERATORs).

For those who are not able to find the very basic rules of the forum, I will offer them here:
GHQ wrote:Welcome to the world of GHQ. First, thank you for your interest in becoming a registered member of our forum. This forum is a fantastic resource for information on military gaming, history, modeling, etc., and it would not be possible without valuable members like you. To cut down the number of spammers on our forum, no accounts are automatically acitvated, all registration forms are first screened with human eyes. To help our screeners, and to make sure that your account is activated, please follow these suggestions:

- DO NOT put anything about por-nography, drugs, phar-maceuticals, online gambling sites, s-e-xual products, etc. anywhere in your profile.

- Be sure to list that military history, modeling, gaming, etc. is one of your interests, or hobbies.

-DO NOT list a commercial website in your profile.

Because this forum is paid for and maintained by GHQ, we ask that you do not include any website addresses for other companies in your postings. We try to keep a very friendly and informative atmosphere on our forum, so please refrain from using profanity and any name calling. When in doubt about placing a post, take 15 minutes to think about it, before hitting the "Submit" button. All posts are subject to being edited or deleted by any of our forum moderators. This forum has got a lot of very informed regular users, and offers a welath of information. It is a fantastic tool for people who are just getting into military gaming and modeling, as well as those who have been active in the hobby for decades. Use it, have fun with it, and be an active member on it!

Thank you for your support,
GHQ
So the guidelines are simple. Keep is polite, keep it topical, and don't post links to commercial webstores.

Oh, and post lots of pics of your microarmor. That's not a GHQ rule, but I still like to encourage it! :lol:
-Mark 1
Difficile est, saturam non scribere.
"It is hard NOT to write satire." - Decimus Iunius Juvenalis, 1st Century AD

dragon6
E5

Post by dragon6 »

Mk 1 wrote:Cama is, of course, correct.

So the guidelines are simple. Keep is polite, keep it topical, and don't post links to commercial webstores.
Excuse me please.
Ray

piersyf
E5

Post by piersyf »

Just to show how relaxed the whole thing really is (and something I see a lot of confusion over) is that the prohibition is on LINKS. Not NAMES. You will note that the forum rules specifically prohibit website ADDRESSES.
So you can mention things like Litko, even direct competitors like CinC or Heroics and Ros, just don't post the link to their stores. If people want to find them, they have to look for them.
There is no right or wrong, only decisions and consequences.

Delta Echo

Post by Delta Echo »

Back on topic...
My friends and i like to use the metal bases from wargameaccessories for both microarmor and micronauts.

WargameHub
E5

Post by WargameHub »

Delta Echo, have you found the ones from wargameaccessories to be big enough? They are what I have used for Microarmour and that's what I was hoping for with Micronaughts.

Delta Echo

Post by Delta Echo »

I personally dont collect micronauts, but one of my best buddies does and he uses the same bases (in different sizes of course) as we use for microarmor. Im not sure what size he uses, but i would imagine with the 20-30 different sizes that Wargameaccessories offers you should be able to find what you are looking for.

Worse case scenario, purchase a larger than needed size and trim with metal cutting shears, and then reflatten the base with pliers or in a vice as cutting often turns up some of the edges.

Finish by using either modeling putty prior to painting or textured paint to make realistic waves/wake it will look fantastic!

zaevor2000

Post by zaevor2000 »

Two possibilities are open to you.

You can buy tin sheets and cut them with Wiss wire cutters (about $15 from Home Depot). Tin sheets are magnetic and can be bought from HomeDepot/Loews or Hobbytown or HobbyLobby.

Another option is to go to Walmart or HobbyLobby and buy $9.95 24" x 12" magnetic sheets.

Cut them into 3 sheets of 8 1/2" x 11" and glue them into one of the $9.95 letter size 3 tray containers at Walmart.

Put the Axis force in 1 tray, put the Allied force in the other tray. Use the 3rd tray for any terrain or additional needs.

This system enables you to transport all your needed minis for a gaming session with total peace of mind...

Frank
Why, in my day, we didn't have counters. We had to paint the unit values onto little rocks. maps?! Hah! We had no paper maps! We put our rocks in the dirt. It sucked when it rained, but we soldiered on!!! Don't get me started on dice...

John Secker
E5

Post by John Secker »

zaevor2000 wrote:You can buy tin sheets and cut them with Wiss wire cutters (about $15 from Home Depot). Tin sheets are magnetic and....
I presume these are steel sheets with a tin coating? Pure tin is not magnetic, at least not enough to be useful in this context. But tin cans are mostly steel, too.