U. I. N. United Imagi-Nations.

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

The ROD Minister of Defense, the Honorable Magnus McHammerhands, has quietly been making the rounds to speak with his counterparts from other nations. Mr. McHammerhands is trying to determine if other nations would be interested in a multinational training event later in the year that he is calling Bright Star Lite.

Using the Bright Star exercises in Egypt as a model, Mr. McHammerhands is proposing a smaller exercise of 2-3 weeks in length. The ROD would like to be a part of the planning and execution of such an exercise, but it is important that Bright Start Lite be a true international exercise with units and staff from all participating nations.

The location should be somewhere central to most nations as well.

The ROD can commit staff to the planning process if anyone is interested. We can also provide a brigade-sized unit to the exercise, as well as logistical support and some aircraft should there be any interest in such an event.

[GM’s Note: I participated in Bright Star in 2001 and it was a great experience. I deployed with 1st ID HQ, but our division did not bring any organic units, instead we had an Egyptian armored brigade, a French infantry brigade with Italian tank battalion, a British NBC regiment, and a squadron from 3rd ACR. There were also Greeks, Germans, Jordanians, and Kuwaitis that I am aware of, though they were in other divisions. Could be fun to do something similar with micro armor!]
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

So, your effective troops were the 3d ACR squadron and the Brits...?
All blessings flow from a good mission statement.
Pogo was right. So was Ike.
"A Gentleman is a man who is only rude intentionally." (Churchill)
Give credit. Take responsibility.

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

The Commonwealth is delight to participate in Bright Star Lite. We can utilize Algeria, it is close to several members of the Commonwealth resting between Moroccodom and Tunisadom. (not that we would use this an an intel and occupation catalyst, really...). Egypt is good choice or the Sinai. Hopefully Egypt and Israel would be accepting.
Chris

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

I thought the French were very good...a very aggressive professional unit that I would serve with again. Much better than the Germans that I worked with in USAREUR. That is probably very different from when you were in Germany at the height of the Cold War and the Bundeswehr was staring over the fence at a Soviet Shock Army. Plus the French had wine! The Italians brought a field bakery an they cranked out some good bread too. Overall while the US had a dominant military force, the MREs fared poorly when compared to the rations of other armies.

Interesting note: at the division TOC we mostly communicated with the French in Spanish. Our only French speaking officer was at the French brigade TOC as a liaison. Most of the French oficers spoke some English, but they had a guy that was fluent in Spanish and what US unit doesn't have native Spanish speakers? My Spanish was a bit rusty at the time and I think I asked them to bathe their artillery in the Nile at one point.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

As always, the ROD looks forward to a collaborative military exercise with the CoC! We hope that more nations will join us in what should be a fun and productive event. The ROD just acquired more transportation assets, so wherever the exercise is held we will be more than happy to provide exercise support such as logistics, medical, and housing.

Guroburov
E5

Post by Guroburov »

PROG UIN representative, Marshall Sukorovski: "PROG denounces these so-called military exercises for what they are. Western imperialist powers seek to intimidate any nations that do not submit to their wills. We stand firm against these aggressors! They may formulate plans for assaulting other nations under the guise of these 'exercises' but we will not be intimidated! PROG will respond to any aggressor with all our might! We call out to our fellow states to stand with us and reject the imperialist powers. Putinville! Gator State! Stand!"

CFL

Post by CFL »

Al Kabab in the Med is interested in taking part in Bright Star Lite.
Communist Fromage Legume.

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

Redleg,

Interesting feedback. I do sometimes wonder about Natick's products, but I guess MREs have to survive in a lot of different environments. Personally, never had an MRE, but then, I liked C-rations... Well, MOST of 'em. Yes, the post-Cold War era has been hard on the German Army. A mere shadow of its former self. All armies had some challenges in the 70s. Now, they lack a raison d'etre, they think. I have been shocked, but not surprised, by what I've read. Merkel has not done right by the German Army. The French have seen action overseas and France thinks differently about itself.
All blessings flow from a good mission statement.
Pogo was right. So was Ike.
"A Gentleman is a man who is only rude intentionally." (Churchill)
Give credit. Take responsibility.

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

I am in favor of Al Kabab particpating in Bright Star Lite. A real opportunity to learn from them... what to do, what not to do, ... how to expend munitions during a training exercise for terminal results.
Chris

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

New Flash from CNNN, Wolf's Meal House.... Al Kabab has produced s spin-off segment of bad dudes. They are calling themselves Shis-Kabab. El Toro der Kabab, their leader announced a regional HQ in Libya, and in Syria and Somalia. El Toro announces a letter of intent to acquire an attack submarine with weapon systems once funds are transferred to the proper account for El Toro der Kabab D/B/A Shis-Kabab.
Chris

E5

Post by 7.62 »

Balzac Self Defence Forces have begun to leave the Country of Yer Bouti.
With the YB Army now expanded and once again in control of it's lands the chance of an invasion from Moroccodom is seen as very slim for now.
Also the Balzac Government was unable to extend the lease on the air and naval bases in YB.
Other Nations seem to be vying for influence and basing agreements.
The new younger, Western leaning PM of Yer Bouti is well supported by the West.
He has pushed for more control of the Government and it seems he has sidelined the old Sheik.
The Sheik has only been seen a few times in public since the bombing in YB City last year.

Al-Kabab is still a problem in one of the five tribal-lands of YB but most of their activity has been contained.

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

An explosion in a large mansion on the outskirts of Yer Bouti City. 8 dead. Gun fire heard. Engagement lasted about 15 minutes. An attack by Shis-Kabab on the El Sheik took place at a residential compound that the Sheik was staying at for a few days after ducking out of the spot light. A 12 man group attacked using C-4, RPGs, and small arms, all were killed in the melee except for 2. Although both are in critical condition. 12 security and military men were killed in the attack defending the compound and El Sheik. El Sheik is alive and well, just shaken.
Even though the attack is being investigated further, on the face it appears that Shis-Kabab, the spin off from Al Kabab, conducted the attack. The info that the Sheik was at this mansion leads us to believe that the new government of Yer Bouti has provided info as to his where abouts and may be motivated to take complete control of YB. Also, some of the weapons may have been provided by militia groups in Moroccodom which is part of the Commonwealth of Chrisdom.
Chris

E5

Post by 7.62 »

Peaceful protests are taking place in YB City.
Several different groups and elements are out on the streets.
Some calling for free open democratic elections, some backing the old Sheik.
Most against the high fuel and food prices.
All good natured at the moment but tense.

Police are out in large numbers, YB Army are manning check points into the city.

E5

Post by 7.62 »

Sunday has seen more protests in Yer Bouti.
Food and fuel shortages have been reported across the capital.
The Government is expected to introduce temporary price controls on Monday.
A political power struggle between the old Sheik and the newly empowered PM has the economy stalled.

E5

Post by 7.62 »

Protests in Yer Bouti turned violent today both on the street and in Parliament.
Police had to use tear gas for the first time on pro and anti government groups.
In Parliament a bill passed removing the old Sheiks veto powers over the Government.
However many loyalists claim to have been locked out at the time.
Debate turn to fisty cuffs with several members and minister requiring hospital treatment.

The old Sheik was at his mansion at the time and it seems there was a confrontation between a police unit and the Sheiks guards with shots fired.

Basic food prices have been set which just meant what was on the open market sold out in panic buying.
Anger is mounting at the fuel shortage with long line ups at the few gas stations that did have fuel.
Despite record oil exports (still small scale production) many towns and villages are being hit with power blackouts and fuel rationing. In the capital things are not much better.

The PM has called for people to clear the streets and promised an early election with full proportional representation.