Republic of Dalmatia Imagi-Nation

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

chrisswim
E5

Re: Republic of Dalmatia Imagi-Nation

Post by chrisswim »

Very nice Montana.
Looks like you did very well with the detailed painstaking work. Don’t worry about the launchers.
The VLS can handle them. With the BB size, there are rotisserie re-load systems. It would seem the BB VLS has an inexhaustible supply of Standard.SAM, Harpoon, Tomahawks, ASROC, etc.

Very well done. Those FCD. Look nicely placed.
Congratulations!
Chris

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Thanks, Chris! I'm going to mess around with putty next and see how it turns out. I'm hoping that once I paint it will cover up all my mistakes! The aft funnel is actually off-center a little bit. That must have been necessary due to the internal placement of passageways and 5" magazines!

Mech, looking good. You're not going to butcher an Iowa for the ABLs are you? You just need some tiny pieces of plastic or wood to cut into rectangular blocks for the ABLs.
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

MechCommander
E5

Post by MechCommander »

Only as a last resort redleg, how thick would that piece of wood be to make the ABLs? Now how to make the Phalanx CIWS units, and the box launcher for the Sea Sparrow on the aft castle deck? the Twin 3"/50 AA guns, thats gonna be tricky.

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

Mech, Don’t worry about putting CWIS on the BB. TOooooooo small. Certainly with pics posted, it won’t matter.

ROD, pictures from the side will not show the off-centerline stack.
Great work.
Chris

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

I think you're right Chris, the CIWS will be too small to mess with. I was going to try to glue a little snippet of brass rod for them, but it's probably not worth it.

Mech, the ABL on the IowA is 1/8" long and about 1/32" thick.should be easy to sand something down to that size. Not sure about the Sea Sparrow launcher or the 3" AA guns.

MechCommander
E5

Post by MechCommander »

I might get away with using the Sea Sparrow launcher from a CinC or GHQ Sprunce class DDG. the 3"/50 though after looking at the one on my Belknap, I might use those rods from a Mechanical Pencil and just Green Stuff a turret for it, or use the spare KGV secondary turrets.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

I got some putty on the ship and did some sanding. It looks like it needs a little more smoothing and then the VLS launcher. I tried to file the rear deck smooth for the helipad and I started trying to file all the anti-aircraft guns off, but I don't think I can get all those little guns off without filing the whole deck smooth, so I will probably just leave them.

MechCommander
E5

Post by MechCommander »

Look good there redleg, need to pick up some balsa wood to do the ABLs for my KGV. Im gonna try to use the spare KGV secondary guns for the 3"/50 AA guns, as for the Sea Sparrows I'll grab some from the GHQ Sprunce DDGs if they are a seperate piece.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

I got the VLS cell clued on - just a flat piece of plastic from the battleship packaging. I slapped some paint on it to see what it looks like and it's not as bad as I was anticipating. I need to do some more cleanup and then finish painting. I'm thinking that by the end of the week BB-15 will be joining the ROD Navy, Second Fleet.

MechCommander
E5

Post by MechCommander »

That’s some good news. The KGVs is expected to be finished some time ether in January or early February. The first to be launched would be HMCS Kanata.

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

Redleg,
Looking very nice. Making it happen, well done.
I hope that my SSGNs don’t ever need to engage BB Monty.
Chris

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

I hope we don't engage an SSGN too! The big 16" guns are cool, but no defense against 100+ missiles all coming at once!

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Happy New Year from the ROD! We hope that everyone has a better year in 2021!

In the ROD we launched our newest ship, the modified Montana Class battleship RODS Chupacabra (BB-15). The Chupacabra went to sea yesterday afternoon, lingering about the coast, and then exactly at midnight she opened up with all twelve of her 16" guns in a spectacular New Year show.

Now the admirals are trying to figure out if they can get fifteen 16" guns onto a single ship!

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

Just because a little is good, it does not follow that more is better.
All blessings flow from a good mission statement.
Pogo was right. So was Ike.
"A Gentleman is a man who is only rude intentionally." (Churchill)
Give credit. Take responsibility.

MechCommander
E5

Post by MechCommander »

Nice looking ship Redleg.