Page 1 of 1

What are these? (This should be fun)

Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:44 am
by Extra Crispy
So I just spent an hour or two listing and sorting my German WW2 micro-armor. Since much was bought second hand (and there are a variety of vendors) I have a few items I cannot identify.

I'd take photos but it's night and very dark. So let's try this!

1) Halftrack. 3 outer, 3 inner road wheels plus end wheels. Straight sides. Front grill has 4 vertical bars. Very similar to Sdkfz7 but smaller. Compartment has facing benches separated from drivers by canopy (down). 2 drivers in cab are part of model.

2) Two part bus? Front is a wide, flat bus, rear has a "hitch." Front has a ribbed roof, rear part has two prominent boxes on the roof and a tire on the rear.

3) Tank. Looks like a Pz38 chassis. Turret is tall and appears to have a small opening at the rear? Small gun and MG? in the turret. Rear of turret has two racks of ? smoke dischargers? Not a solid piece of armor on the back of the turret.

4) Tank. Five road wheels, interleaved, 2 outer, 3 inner plus sprockets. Squarish turet, single gun. 2 turret hatches offset. Left side at back of turret, right side just in front of left hatch. Roughly PzII in size.

5) Tank. Roughly PzIII in size. Tall, smooth, boxy turret (reminds me of a KV1/2 but no rivets). Two guns mounted over/under. Six small road wheels plus two sprockets. Two of the six (at either end) are slightly larger than the 4 between them. Three upper track guides. Rear grill is at an angle sloping down toward the rear of the vehicle.

Thanks in advance!

Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:35 am
by kiasutha
OK, I'll give it a shot-
1-this sounds like the semi-track from G-516; an sdKfz 11 type.
2- bus??? No idea.
3-might be late recon version of 38t- see GHQ G-88
4-this might be Pz-.2 Luchs- see GHQ G-504
5-other than the over&under gun thing (??) this sounds a lot like a british Bishop spg.
Can't think of anything else. Take a look at GHQ UK-19, and any Valentine chassis.
It has the bogie/return roller pattern you describe.

Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:42 am
by Extra Crispy
Good work!

1) The front is right - grill and fenders. So an Sdkfz 11 of some type.
2).....
3) Spot on!
4) Maybe....
5) Yup, that's it - the Bishop!

Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:03 am
by kiasutha
Mark:
If you think 4 might be a Luchs but the turret or gun looks "off", about 31 were built with a 50mm gun turret similar to if not actually from (I don't recall) a Puma armored car...

Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:09 am
by Extra Crispy
That one's not a GHQ model, so a little further research is needed. But it's a Luchs now, until photos prove otherwise....

Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:36 pm
by Mk 1
Given no pics we can not, of course, be sure, but ...

I would wager number 2 is a WW2 era German Opel Blitz Bus + Trailer. This model is offered by one of the UK companies in 1/300 scale.

Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:55 pm
by kiasutha
Extra Crispy wrote:That one's not a GHQ model, so a little further research is needed. But it's a Luchs now, until photos prove otherwise....
I have some english made Luchs models I bought about 40 years ago.
They are the 20mm gun version; small straight barrel, no muzzle brake.
They have 2 well raised round hatches in the place you mentioned, and a small "box" on either side of the turret.
CinC also makes it; much nicer model. No "boxes", and the hatches are much more subtle.
There is a photo of it on their web site.

Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:30 am
by ferret701
OK, I think I've got most of these:

1) Likely SdKfz 11

2) Armstrong Model's Opel Blitz bus

Image

3) PzJgr 38(T)H Marder III

Image

4) Definitely sounds like a Panzer IIL Luchs

5) That would be a UK Bishop:

Image

If there are no sand skirts, it is likely the CinC version:

Image