PolishGI’s Working Thread (WWII & Vietnam)

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

redleg
E5

Re: PolishGI’s Working Thread (WWII & Vietnam)

Post by redleg »

Great looking infantry, and a fantastic looking game! I can't want to see more battlefield action!
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Great looking game and a nice blow by blow of the action, Polish GI! Are you using a particular rules set for this game or are these your own?

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

redleg wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:54 am
Great looking infantry, and a fantastic looking game! I can't want to see more battlefield action!

Thank you Redleg. I am curious as to what happens or what is left of the German armor before the Soviet Tank Brigade shows up. That is what drew me to this scenario… there are two lanes within it. You have the panzgrenadiers that need to pound the ground and push the Soviet infantry out of their dug in positions and back. Once that occurs, they need to keep pressing and gain control of the town.

Now the German armor is another thing. Ammo is a consideration along with damage/hits. How much is too much engagement with the enemy infantry? What, if anything, is left to intercept the incoming T-34s? Kind of fun. Germans have a few 250s ready to run ammo out the armor if need be.

pmskaar wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:15 am
Great looking game and a nice blow by blow of the action, Polish GI! Are you using a particular rules set for this game or are these your own?
Thank you Pete! Command Decision! Old school CD player… I loved the detail in CD III but there are a few items in CD IV that help streamline the game. So I play CD 3.5? lol

One thing that drives me nuts is that in CD IV, in an effort to streamline the game, ALL AFVs and guns are placed on the same range bands for hitting. For me… if a country has superior firepower during this time period, they should be rewarded. Like Germany on the eastern front or in North Africa? I get it on the western side, ranges were more limited but still… And the other issue ammunition. I like tracking ammo. Sometimes that comes into play… sometimes that doesn’t come into play. And there are a few other touchpoints.

But I like to create excel spreadsheets for each scenario. Use laptops to track everything, leave notes, hits on a unit, kills for a model in case they do well. Or I can print the excel file to paper and do it with pencil and paper. Dealer’s choice…
Image Charlie don't surf!
"Don't do things by half."
GHQ BUILD THREAD

regia-marina
E5

Post by regia-marina »

Het Polish, I was glad to hear "long and tedious". That made me feel a lot better! That's how I see painting infantry.

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

Thought I would post a few status pics of the US infantry.

Terrain has been added and now the only thing left is to do a final pass, touchups, catch things I missed and cleanups. Once complete, then I seal them with a clear coat and call them ready for duty.

I hope to get in a round or two tomorrow with my current battle that is ongoing.

GHQ BUILD THREAD

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

Turn 3 of the German assault on the Russian defensive line. (1430 to 1500 hours)

Russian tank brigade did not arrive on this turn. Russian infantry have to continue to hold the line.

German 105mm artillery continue hitting the dug in infantry and score hits.

Stuka dive bombers are attempting to soften up the infantry positions.

German panzergrenadiers continue to attack the defensive positions and make minor gains. Russian infantry are doing their best but are slowly being worn down. As they take casualties, morale is becoming a problem and they are starting to fall back.

Left side of the panzergrenadier attack is slowly making progress. One of the companies are taking casualties and had to fall back pinned.

Middle panzergrenadier battalion are pushing forward and there is not much left in the way of Russian defenders. You can see the foot infantry gaining control of the Russian dug in positions.

Right side of the attack is lowly making progress. One company is pinned.
GHQ BUILD THREAD

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

Right side battalion

Tiger platoon overseeing the panzgergrenadier advance. The Tiger took fire from 57mm Paks and 76mm field guns. Russians scored one hit on the Tiger but the round bounced off. Tiger platoon is now pinned.
GHQ BUILD THREAD

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

From the Russian perspective:

Anti-tank Regiment doing their best to slow the panzergrenadier advance.

Center portion of the defense. Units are retreating back to the town.

Left side of the defense, the rifle regiment is exchanging fire with the panzergrenadiers but the range is still too far. Russian command units are doing what they can to keep their infantry calm.

Same pic, different focal point.

57mm ATG doing its best to engage the Tiger platoon in the distance.

STATUS PIC:

GHQ BUILD THREAD

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

GI, those infantry look great.
Love the pictures of the conflict.
Chris

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

That is a great looking game with a lot of tense action, Polish GI! The "World" holds its breath waiting for those T-34s to arrive.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

That's beautiful! I love the action pics and the explanation of how the battle is unfolding! Keep it coming!
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

chrisswim wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:24 pm
GI, those infantry look great.
Love the pictures of the conflict.
Thank you Chris!

pmskaar wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:47 pm
That is a great looking game with a lot of tense action, Polish GI! The "World" holds its breath waiting for those T-34s to arrive.
Thank you Pete! Yes, that is a fun variable in the scenario… When will the tanks show up? It is a d6 roll and the tank brigade shows up on a 5 or 6. A 4 was rolled. Lol And there is no provision to adjust the needed roll in future turns. (e.g. 5 or 6 now… 4, 5 or 6 next turn… etc) The T-34s will have to find a way to close the distance on the German armor. I am curious as to what the German 50mm ATGs will do as long as they are not harassed by any remaining Russian small arms.

redleg wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:30 pm
That's beautiful! I love the action pics and the explanation of how the battle is unfolding! Keep it coming!
Thanks redleg! I am hoping people can or want to follow along. I like to show status pics of where all the units are so you can see the bigger picture of what is going on in the battle. As opposed to just tactical pics from the ground. Kind of fun.
GHQ BUILD THREAD

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

I need to get going! Figured I would post here now that things appear to have settled down for me in the personal side of things. I went through a life event? Recovered and I am starting to move forward again with the things I enjoy doing. Which is a good thing.

I went and purchased a 1/16 Tiger model from Andy’s Hobby HQ. This thing is large compared to the thumbnail models we make in 1/285-1/300. Wow… But before I screw that model up, since I have not been doing much over the past two years, I figured I would get some “reps” in with making a couple of 1/35 scale models. Why not? I have a StuG IIIG in inventory and recently located a SturmTiger model I had for 20 yrs? Whoops… but I found it and its time to go! Lol

Here are some progress pics. I am thinking about another 1/35 yet before even dipping my toe into the 1/16 Tiger pond. Its so large and I don’t want to screw it up.

Dabbling in mud products…

Ordered a diorama tray from eBay and plan on sneaking the StuG in on it.

GHQ BUILD THREAD

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

GHQ BUILD THREAD

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

Base level of grass will be raised. And the longer grass pieces will be trimmed to meet somewhere in the middle. This is just a WIP.

Can’t forget the panzergrenadiers that will accompany the StuG.

GHQ BUILD THREAD