PolishGI’s Working Thread (WWII & Vietnam)

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

redleg wrote:That is amazing work, Polish! I am so very impressed, as always!
Thank you sir!
Image Charlie don't surf!
"Don't do things by half."
GHQ BUILD THREAD

BurtWolf
E5

Re: PolishGI’s Working Thread (WWII & Vietnam)

Post by BurtWolf »

As always Polish your terrain is excellent. I appreciate what you’ve done to make it so realistic. I think if you paint well it is a must to have good terrain - you hit this both.

Gotta tell you, the pigment came out really well! It takes the paint job to another level in my opinion. I have been a skeptic in the past, thought at this scale it was not worth it, but seeing this I might just try my hand at it. Thanks for sharing!

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

BurtWolf wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:50 am
As always Polish your terrain is excellent. I appreciate what you’ve done to make it so realistic. I think if you paint well it is a must to have good terrain - you hit this both.

Gotta tell you, the pigment came out really well! It takes the paint job to another level in my opinion. I have been a skeptic in the past, thought at this scale it was not worth it, but seeing this I might just try my hand at it. Thanks for sharing!
Thank you BurtWolf! Thank you on the pigment. I wasn’t sure at first as I have seen it come out really well on larger models. As a first time, yikes. Lol

Here are some WIP pics of the PBRs. Advancing them through the stages. I printed a bunch of new items to attach to the boats. In front on the ride side of the turret you have an open topped ammo box. On the left side of the front turret on the right boat you can see the am/fm radio the guys would listen to… Then in back, various fuel drums (why? I get it but wow), and more ammo boxes, tool boxes, wood boxes and backpacks.

Reset the table map as I test out a new scenario. In theory, the center of the map is fairly open with tall grass and shrubs, rice paddies and two small vills. Surrounding the open area is pretty much jungle. The idea is that a UH-1 went down in the middle of the open area and you get a squad to make up a QRF. Once on the ground, assess the status of the downed crew (every mission is different) and set up a defensive position to hold off any enemy attacks.

GHQ BUILD THREAD

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

Here is a high level view… For variability and re-playability, you would roll to see what kind of VC force is generated and then roll to see which tunnel opening they start at and charge toward the center. These tunnel areas would be placed around the edge of the map starting with the North edge and working all the way around 360deg. So every game would be diff squads created coming at you from different locations.

Playing with different open hexes with shrubs

I received a new tree type or two so I worked on a new setup for forest/jungle hexes. What is a good recipe? What is too lean? Too much? For game purposes, you have to be able to move guys through the area for jungle fighting rather than a hex with 100% vegetation.

GHQ BUILD THREAD

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Hi Polish GI!

Great looking PBRs there plus the terrain looks great as well. I love your "down in the weeds" pictures of the Vietnam terrain. It almost looks like you are there. I have looked at my own terrain layouts through the eyes of the little guys on the ground and it gives a whole different perspective than our normal "Godseye" view. Well done!

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

pmskaar wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:05 am
Hi Polish GI!

Great looking PBRs there plus the terrain looks great as well. I love your "down in the weeds" pictures of the Vietnam terrain. It almost looks like you are there. I have looked at my own terrain layouts through the eyes of the little guys on the ground and it gives a whole different perspective than our normal "Godseye" view. Well done!
Thanks Pete!

The PBRs are being a pain! Lol After 3d printing stuff in 2mm x 1mm ish sizes… I found some natural colored rope string in .2mm size. I need to spend some time with it and see if I can coil it up as a rope to tie off the boat. May try using a smaller brush to coil the string with alligator clips holding everything in place. And then gently use some elmers glue to hold it in place. And then work on the second phase of gluing the coil onto the boat and attach one side to something. One coil in front and the other on the starboard side. We shall see. .2mm is small. The other problem I am running into is finding a material that could mimic straw and/or palm fronds for the PBR roof cover for additional camo. I need to add the two antennas up front and we shall see… still a WIP. I need to make some actual river hexes (not streams) so I can let these marinade some more.

Thanks. The “godseye” view is cool but seeing one’s terrain at ground level is game changing. Like you said, it changes the perspective completely. I was playing around with a squad advancing up on an empty village. At ground level, you find yourself thinking a sniper or ambush could literally come from any direction. I cannot imagine.
GHQ BUILD THREAD

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

Couple of additional pics of the test hex area in natural light. Added the squad for fun.

GHQ BUILD THREAD

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Wow Polish! I love your jungle!
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

redleg wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:33 am
Wow Polish! I love your jungle!
Thank you sir!
GHQ BUILD THREAD

BurtWolf
E5

Post by BurtWolf »

Your patience for doing the rope on the PBR‘s is impressive, I’m not sure I could pull that off! I love the extras you’ve added and each one looks very unique. That’s the way these miniatures should be, you do such a great job at that.

Your terrain it’s just getting better and better looking - what NVA stuff do you wish you had but don’t? Or are you just sticking to VC?

ACWBill
E5

Post by ACWBill »

Some really sweet looking stuff for the Nam!
"I was worse scared than I was at Shiloh" - Sam Watkins
Perryville, KY - October 8, 1862

rdenman62
E5

Post by rdenman62 »

Fantastic looking terrain..only thing missing while looking at the pics is the theme music from apocalypse now
Peace thru superior firepower

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

BurtWolf wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:18 am
Your patience for doing the rope on the PBR‘s is impressive, I’m not sure I could pull that off! I love the extras you’ve added and each one looks very unique. That’s the way these miniatures should be, you do such a great job at that.

Your terrain it’s just getting better and better looking - what NVA stuff do you wish you had but don’t? Or are you just sticking to VC?
Thanks Burt. Here is hoping. I was hoping for that with the PBRs, having each boat individual and unique. The antennas are now added and I need to figure out the rope. Get the rivers up and running and then I can deploy the boats.

I already have the NVA as a matter of fact. They are in their post 66-67 unis in the green. I have another large NVA group to start painting in their pre-66 Khaki uniforms. That way I have both covered. Nope, I am a completionist… must do it all or go down trying. Lol

ACWBill wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:59 pm
Some really sweet looking stuff for the Nam!
Thank you kindly Bill!

rdenman62 wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:03 am
Fantastic looking terrain..only thing missing while looking at the pics is the theme music from apocalypse now
Thank you rdenman62! The wife and kids think Im nuts… I have all that music going while working on my Nam models/terrain. Lol One positive thing about this pandemic is isolation. When their friends came over, I have to turn down or off the music. The kids say they would like to have their friends back and not running home. Lol

Some WIP shots on a new village that I am working on.

Natural lighting…

GHQ BUILD THREAD

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

As WIP start to turn into final versions, I try to put pieces together to see how interact with one another. I am working on redoing my river pieces, I finished up a village so what does it look like together with natural light? After the rivers are done, then I will go back over and refresh my streams. Oh, I need to deploy the PBRs. I figured out a way to coil the string/rope for tying off the boats, need to work on scaling now.

See what you think… Forgive me on the hex placements. The outside table was not cooperating…

GHQ BUILD THREAD

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Great looking stuff there, Polish GI! I like the PBRs on the river. You can almost feel the heat and the humidity.

Pete