PolishGI’s Working Thread (WWII & Vietnam)

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

Begemot
E5

Re: PolishGI’s Working Thread (WWII & Vietnam)

Post by Begemot »

PolishGI -
- PBR Street Gang, this is Almighty. Over.

- PBR Street Gang, this is Almighty. Standing by. Over.

- PBR Street Gang, this is Almighty. Standing by. How do you copy?
Great work here. Very Evocative.

And remember:
Never get out of the boat.
Begemot
The summer grasses.
For many brave warriors
The aftermath of dreams.
--- Basho

Please visit my website "Lair of the Begemot": (https://lairbegemot.blogspot.com)

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

Thank you Pete and Begemot!

Yes, never get out of the boat. I am trying to push myself to get better with each round. As I start to wrap up my rivers/** CENSORED **, I am eyeballing how I want to setup my streams.

I have some trucks to finish up along with a couple of fuel trucks and repair trucks.

I think I have been able to coil up some rope/string for the front of the PBR boats.
Image Charlie don't surf!
"Don't do things by half."
GHQ BUILD THREAD

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

That's pretty awesome Polish!
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

Thanks redleg!

Added the rope up front on each of the boats. Also have a significant portion of the river or c a n a l complete. (website wants to block out the word)

I think I may have run up against a hard stop with the flags and flag poles. The 1/300 US flags I found are not reversible. So basically, the flag will be flying correctly from the port side and backwards (incorrectly) from the starboard side. And I am not totally sure its worth it to proceed.

GHQ BUILD THREAD

Guroburov
E5

Post by Guroburov »

I love those boats and the terrain is awesome.

Phantom_499

Post by Phantom_499 »

I love your terrain and modelling! I'm curious, did you draw out your terrain on paper first or did you just start working on it?

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

Fantastic terrain and setup.
Chris

Splod
E5

Post by Splod »

Absolutely fantastic work there mate.

The Brown Water Navy never really inspired me when it came to Vietnam gaming, but your terrain and craft goes a long way to pique my interest :mrgreen:
Little Metal Men: A story of a distracted wargamer

“A learning experience is one of those things that says, 'You know that thing you just did? Don't do that.”
- Douglas Adams

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

Guroburov wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:14 pm
I love those boats and the terrain is awesome.
Thank you G!

chrisswim wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:59 am
Fantastic terrain and setup.
Thank you Chris!

Splod wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:22 am
Absolutely fantastic work there mate.

The Brown Water Navy never really inspired me when it came to Vietnam gaming, but your terrain and craft goes a long way to pique my interest :mrgreen:
Thank you Splod! I think I will probably stop there for the BWN. I needed a larger/wider body of water to create a barrier that cannot be crossed for a scenario. On the upcoming streams (more narrow), they can be forded.

But I wanted to include some PBRs for insertion vehicles or extraction vehicles. Might be kind of fun to devise a mission that causes you to cruise up and down a river/c a n a l (is censored) looking for VC boats. Stopping them, inspecting them and such… and your river ambush as well to see what the PBR can do with return fire. I have other big boats but that would most likely be for a more wide open body of water.

Phantom_499 wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:08 am
I love your terrain and modelling! I'm curious, did you draw out your terrain on paper first or did you just start working on it?
Thank you Phantom_499! Depends on the terrain I guess. Villages are a little more structured I guess with layouts and where a field is, dirt pathways… paddy fields are a little structured with layout… but your open terrain, jungle terrain, I kind of just go with it. My underlying mission is to make sure I don’t violate the rule that this is for a game. Pieces/infantry are going to be walking through this hex(es) and they need to fit. But it also needs to looks like some sort of jungle that impedes on one’s line of sight. What grasses I place, what bushes I place and what trees I place are pretty random. Make it look like it blends all together but it still different close up. If that makes sense.

The dirt and grass layers are purely random by what the underlying glue grabs or does not grab.
GHQ BUILD THREAD

BurtWolf
E5

Post by BurtWolf »

Looking fantastic Polish - as usual!. I can feel the mud squishing and see the boats pushing murky water along.

Can’t wait to see those B52s ...... hahaha!!

BurtWolf
E5

Post by BurtWolf »

Oh yeah, one more thing, those PBR rock - you killed it with those! Plus I like a cold PBR now and then.

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

BurtWolf wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:23 am
Oh yeah, one more thing, those PBR rock - you killed it with those! Plus I like a cold PBR now and then.
Thank you Burt! The PBR boats were a pain! I try messing with the dish in front to level it but anymore and I fear it will break off. Unfortunate that it did not have any interest in cooperating. How can you not like PBR? Wasn’t it like the $2 6-pack for a while? Haha

Still working the flagpoles and flags. I cannot locate a 1/285-1/300 scale American flag that is facing forward and one that is backwards. So… I am tempting myself to cut up the decal and flip flop the top half myself so that the flag can be added to the boats and fly properly. Cutting up and moving portions of a small decal gets interesting.

Integrated the river sections into the main map along with a few test stream pieces. An additional jungle area as well.

Top two hexes are v1.0 and the bottom two hexes are v1.2. While not only testing to see what the realistic water would do applied on top of just dirt, I was hoping it would also tint the dirt a tad darker to simulate mud. No luck. So the next version, I used a brown wash to tint the dirt stream bed to make it a bit darker. Then applied the realistic water. Hoping the darker dirt comes through the water to simulate a stream bed/bottom.

Another jungle section. I do like using the 3 and 4 hex pieces as you can build a larger area that does not bend and it allows you to cover up space quicker.

Dry paddy field integrated

Last edited by PolishGI on Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
GHQ BUILD THREAD

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

Stream pieces

GHQ BUILD THREAD

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Your stream looks fantastic, Polish! Just curious, how much table top can you cover with your Vietnam terrain? It all looks amazing?
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

BurtWolf
E5

Post by BurtWolf »

Streams are looking real good Polish, all you’re missing is Augustus Gloop ha ha!

Your PPRs really are worth the time and effort at least from the spectators viewpoint. They just make your game board and I bet they would be fun to game with. Don’t know how you were going to manage the flag since they will be so small but I’m sure you’ll come up with something good.

And yes, PBR is my lawn cutting beer.

Your Vietnam terrain (and minis) is really extraordinary, and it’s great to see the constant postings. Thanks for sharing!