PolishGI’s Working Thread (WWII & Vietnam)

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

PolishGI
E5

Re: PolishGI’s Working Thread (WWII & Vietnam)

Post by PolishGI »

redleg wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:17 pm
Hey Polish, your Tour of Duty idea is really awesome! I'm very interested to see how that looks because I'd like to shamelessly copy it and apply it to some of my own games. Great concept! Please keep us posted!
Thanks redleg and will do! Most of the stuff I am pulling together comes from a combination of games and rule sets and then I alter to fit together. Kind of like building a brick wall and my portion is the mortar that keeps it together. I hope to have a combination of defined missions along with just sweeps or night missions that are up to the dice to tell the tale. Or put in place mini campaigns that require 2-3-4 scenarios back to back to complete the larger objective. With that you really have to watch out for casualties in the beginning so you have enough resources later in the mini campaign. Might be fun. All theoretical (well in an excel file) at this point, need to get going and iron out where needed.

Keeps the solitaire player or players on their toes.
Image Charlie don't surf!
"Don't do things by half."
GHQ BUILD THREAD

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

Quick update on my ventures into the static grass arena.

So I recently purchased an entry level battery operated grass applicator. Upon taking it out of the box, putting in batteries and playing with it, I proceeded to shock myself which was unexpected. So that happened… and to make matters worse, it occurred in front of my three kids. I was shocked/yelled and they ran for cover! After realizing the coast was clear and watching my face, they started to ask if I was ok or if I was going to “make it”… Nice… You know you are getting older when you children start asking questions and wanting to protect you from yourself.

Moving on to the cave that does not allow an audience, I proceeded to start researching and reading up on these applicators and best practices. Clearly, my initial approach was in the wrong direction. Below are the initial screenshots of v1.0 and v1.1.

Im happy with them in the sense that it worked and that it will add a “ton” of variation, texture and line of sight issues for the game board. As opposed to the flat grass that has historically been used. Although, there is a place for that as well.

I am not happy with or want to do better with adding additional layers of grass to bring it to life while eliminating a repeating/unnatural look. I think I figured out what I did wrong on these two hexes and will correct it going forward. But they do not look too bad…

I laid down my initial base of dirt… Secondly, I added a thin layer of 2mm green grass to start the lower level. Third, I added a bit of “dead grass” to blend into the green grass to add variation. Fourth, I went ahead and added 6mm green grass with a tad more of dead grass. So it works… I just want to improve my internal process so I can start manufacturing these hexes. But it does require a bit more work with laying down “grass”.

Since the initial learning curve is on the downward slope, I bit the bullet and purchased a ton more of grass for my hexes. (so many jokes there) But this grass includes 2mm grass, 2mm dead grass, 4mm grass, 4mm dead grass and 6mm grass and 6mm dead grass. I purchased the 6mm grass from the UK (WWS). Apparently, they have the better product than what we have here in the US.

While biting the bullet, I have an impulse thought after sending off my recent GHQ order. Why not upgrade the static grass applicator? Sure, why not? So the Cadillac of grass applicators (WWS) is coming from the UK as well. I can’t wait for it to arrive so I can try it out.

The wife asked me, “You spent HOW much on that applicator?” “Come on Honey, its coming from England! Its cool!” “I cant believe you spent much on something like that!” I said, “If you want to justify it, I will go out in the backyard and start applying static grass to our lawn and cover any/all dead spots?”

No response back… just the roll of the eyes…

Which really means to me… mission accomplished! (check-check)

Anyway, enough rambling… pic time…

GHQ BUILD THREAD

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Dude, mind totally blown by your grass! That is amazing! Spectacular work, and you must be the most patient person on the planet!
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

redleg wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:13 am
Dude, mind totally blown by your grass! That is amazing! Spectacular work, and you must be the most patient person on the planet!

Thanks redleg! I am a Sagittarius by nature so no patience. Lol And certified by the wife I am sure. Lol but modeling is my opportunity for personal growth! hehe

But thank you for the feedback! I really want to nail down this grass process. The applicator is cool in nature using static electricity to get the grass to stand up from the glue. I thought it was voodoo magic but it does work. Apply, cover and then shake off what you don’t need. And re-apply.

But my goal is to come up with a recipe for an open field grass area. A thicker more obstructing version of that open grass area. Then I want to move into something that more accurately reflects elephant grass while blocking LOS. And then along the way, setup a hex or group with this height variation grass, dirt and then add in trees. I think/hope that will move things up a notch. The only thing I need to be careful on with the jungle hexes is still allowing soldiers to navigate through the area for game purposes.
GHQ BUILD THREAD

Begemot
E5

Post by Begemot »

PolishGI - Very impressive work with your static grass. Mixing the dead grass with the green makes it look real. Give yourself a pat on the back.

Begemot
The summer grasses.
For many brave warriors
The aftermath of dreams.
--- Basho

Please visit my website "Lair of the Begemot": (https://lairbegemot.blogspot.com)

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

GI, excellent looking grass terrain.
Would you be kind enough to list/describe your steps, please. I have flocked, but not worked with grass nor the grass applicator.
Thank you for sharing.
Chris

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

That is excellent looking grass there, Polish GI! I think the combination of the more dried grass with the lush green grass looks great. Of course the time of year and the climate will effect the look you are going for but it all looks very nice and realistic.

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

Begemot wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:50 am
PolishGI - Very impressive work with your static grass. Mixing the dead grass with the green makes it look real. Give yourself a pat on the back.

Begemot
Thank you kindly Begemot!

chrisswim wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:35 am
GI, excellent looking grass terrain.
Would you be kind enough to list/describe your steps, please. I have flocked, but not worked with grass nor the grass applicator.
Thank you for sharing.

Thank you Chris! I will see what I can put together in the hope that it helps.

pmskaar wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:02 am
That is excellent looking grass there, Polish GI! I think the combination of the more dried grass with the lush green grass looks great. Of course the time of year and the climate will effect the look you are going for but it all looks very nice and realistic.
Thank you Pete! Very true on the time of year! I think for this exercise I am going to stick with something universal and that blends together. If I can keep it mostly green with a sprinkle of dead grass, Im hoping it adds some dimension to it. Im also looking to see if I can lay down the dead grass to denote walkways/pathways as well. Another idea is to build layer on top of layer so that the grass can become 7-8mm to 10mm tall for elephant grass. And then maybe carve out a little area in the center for the Spec Op teams to “hide” in.

I find myself thinking about a lush green environment along with a dry season environment but storage starts to become an issue. It is up there with a WWII Western front table, a WWII eastern front table and their sister snow/winter tables.

It’s a bit more work for sure with the various layers than the flocking grass. But I hope it adds a little more to the playing surface. I shoot the finished hex with a light coat of dull as well to tone down any shininess. But the hexes/grass are rock solid.
GHQ BUILD THREAD

Paul B
E5

Post by Paul B »

What color did you use on the PBR hulls?
Go for Broke!!
Paul

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

Paul B wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:03 am
Hi Paul,

I believe I used Vallejo 70.887 Drab Green with a hint of Vallejo 70.951 to lighten it (due to scale) a tad. Once dry and sealed, I added a wash to it and then added some highlights (70.887) on top of it again. (specifically to the hull again)

I hope that helps,

Jeff
Last edited by PolishGI on Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
GHQ BUILD THREAD

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

So I am working on progressing my abilities in the static grass arena. Each round gets a little better and I learn a little more.

I figure I would give a quick rundown of my process as it is today. I am sure I will evolve it going forward but you get the idea.

Items I use in the process:

I started off with this applicator from Amazon

Does it work? Yes. Room for improvement? I believe so but if you are not wanting to invest in this arena, this may work for you.

I order this new applicator and I’m hoping it lives up to the hype.

I picked up some squirt bottles off of Amazon, a mixing bowl from Amazon and you can never really have too much Elmers glue on hand. I’ve had that for a while and it is coming in handy.

Everyone wants to talk about ratios of this or that.. For me, I pour water into the squirt bottle so I can gauge what I really need. I pour that into the mixing bowl and begin adding elmer’s glue. Its more of a feel than a mathematical ratio. I continue to stir the solution until there is a resistance that is equivalent to milk. Its thicker than water and not near the resistance that elmer’s glue would put up. What I am looking for is an amount of resistance from stirring but will still be shot through the squirt bottle. Once complete, I add a drop or two of Dawn dish soap.

Now that you have your tools, let the fun or chaos (depending) begin!

Start with your hex

I put on the base layer (non-diluted) of glue on the hex to prepare it for the base level of material.

Your base level of terrain can include just dirt, just grass, or a combination of dirt and grass. Here is the initial layer of dirt that I pour onto the hex. Once on, I shake off any excess and put it back into my dirt container.

Once that dirt begins to dry, time to break out the squirt bottle with the glue/water mixture. No streams… use spray… spray on a watered-layer of glue on top of the dirt.

GHQ BUILD THREAD

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

Once the glue is on top of the dirt, time to apply my 2mm static grass base layer. I fill up about half of the applicator’s container with grass. Make sure you use the ground line from the applicator to the hex. I use the alligator clamp and ‘plug it’ into the foam hex. I press the button to start the electro static charge, count to 5, and then start applying the grass. Left to right, up to down until you have a decent amount on the hex. Flip the hex upside down and knock off any excess. At this point, I continue hitting the button and drag the applicator over the grass to see if I can use the charge to grab ahold of any grass laying down and get those to stand up. You will pull some off of the hex, but that negative is smaller than the positive of bringing some grass up to stand vertically.

Once you have an idea of how much grass stuck to the hex, you can stop or continue adding more to what you already have. It should look something like this…

I try to allow for some areas of dirt to still come through and break up the terrain.

At this point, your hex should have a layer of dirt down along with the initial base layer of grass. Once that starts to dry, it is time to add another layer of grass. So I take my water bottle and shoot more glue/water on top of the grass in specific areas to break up the hex. You do not apply this solution to 100% of the hex but this phase is inbetween the 2mm base and 7mm final coat. It will look too uniform…

I apply the 4mm grass to the hex to start adding variable grass and fluffiness. Once complete, I used my fingers to ‘rough’ up the grass to create tufts in the grass.

Time to add another layer of 7mm grass

Adding in some dead grass for variation

Ground level

2 different focal points:

Combined with the other test pieces at the top.

As I start to make a few more ‘just grass’ hexes, I will start to move into the 4-hex piece I have waiting. With that section, I want to lay down some grass along with taller elephant-type grass on the hex section. Once complete, I want to add back some additional trees and bushes to create a forest/jungle atmosphere for fighting. I need to find a way to add lanes for the models to walk through and fight in.

Hopefully, this helps.
GHQ BUILD THREAD

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

I should add... I started with under 15oz of water in my spray bottle. Added my glue and mixed everything up. Somewhere inbetween 15 and 20oz now in the bottle. That should last me a lifetime. lol If you are concerned, mix a little at a time as needed.

Also, once you learn it... you will start to focus your efforts on doing a larger production line of hexes/terrain. Its a pain cleaning out the spray bottle nozzle to make sure there is no glue in it for that next layer in a few hours or the following day. Otherwise, the sprayer is toast. So make it worth your effort.
GHQ BUILD THREAD

Paul B
E5

Post by Paul B »

Thanks, Jeff. BTW, lovely stuff. This thread is one of my favorites.
PolishGI wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:30 am
Paul B wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:03 am
Hi Paul,

I believe I used Vallejo 70.887 Drab Green with a hint of Vallejo 70.951 to lighten it (due to scale) a tad. Once dry and sealed, I added a wash to it and then added some highlights (70.951) on top of it again. (specifically to the hull again)

I hope that helps,

Jeff
Go for Broke!!
Paul

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Great tutorial! Your work is pretty amazing!
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com