PolishGI’s Working Thread (WWII & Vietnam)

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

PolishGI
E5

Re: PolishGI’s Working Thread (WWII & Vietnam)

Post by PolishGI »

Having fun with some early war Italian armor…

Image Charlie don't surf!
"Don't do things by half."
GHQ BUILD THREAD

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Very nice work on the Italian Armor, Polish GI! I like the shading. I have some of these same vehicles and will probably work on an Italian Army for North Africa one of these days when I get around to it. Thanks for showing them.

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

They look cool, well warm if on a sunny day in the desert.
Chris

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

Thanks Pete and Chris!

I have a bit to get through for North Africa. Infantry alone are going to be tough. Various packs of German individuals, Hvy Wpns, crews along with some British infantry to shore up. US individuals, HWs and arty crews. Along with that, Italian individuals, HWs, arty crews and then Bersaglieri individuals and HWs.

And then more vehicles. Playing with shading right now with the Italians. Germans, I need to find a shade I like for the AFVs. I ended up running out of my old default color so need to locate something new. And then finding a right shade for the US in Africa. Should be a fun learning process.
GHQ BUILD THREAD

BurtWolf
E5

Post by BurtWolf »

Nice Italians Polish! I like your basing as well. Going to 3D print anything for North Africa? Fort Capuzzo? Tobruk emplacements?

I was hanging with some folks here recently at work who relit my interest in a 3D printer as they were doing some pretty cool (and serious) things with it - I like the thought of custom terrain pieces specially seeing what you’ve been able to do.

Flight Deck Decals
E5

Post by Flight Deck Decals »

Those look awesome! Is your NA table going to be as robust as your Vietnam board? That is seriously impressive!

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

BurtWolf wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 8:44 am
Nice Italians Polish! I like your basing as well. Going to 3D print anything for North Africa? Fort Capuzzo? Tobruk emplacements?

I was hanging with some folks here recently at work who relit my interest in a 3D printer as they were doing some pretty cool (and serious) things with it - I like the thought of custom terrain pieces specially seeing what you’ve been able to do.
Thank you Burt. I do the basing as I do not trust myself or who I am playing with to handle the model directly. The other thing I noticed that IF dropped, the base adds a layer of protection for gun barrels too. Yes, am working on a template for a wadi setup and road setup. Then I need to start looking at creating a village/town.

For the desert hexes, I am using sand to simulate the desert and I am tinting it more brown as well. With a wadi hex, I am trying to decide if I line the riverbed with dirt or leave it painted with a brown wash. Im thinking about posing both models and see if I can get some feedback from the community.

Same with roads… I have roads painted as of now with a brown wash on top. Im thinking about laying down a light layer of dirt to simulate the roads that connect with the surrounding sand/desert. May need to upload both ideas and again, ask for help/feedback from the community.

Once those get going, then I have about 10-15 different North African building models for towns. Ideally, I would make the town hexes modular so they can be built upon to make a larger town. My buddy likes the 3d building models as they could probably work for modern day operations as well if I ever got into that era.

Then hills need to be built for parking on top of and shooting at the enemy. Hehe I will probably use some form of clay to form the hills. I like the GHQ approach but it is quite in-depth with the cut variations.

I love my 3d printer. I just printed some Illumination markers for night time combat in Vietnam. In the game, flares last 2 rounds so all you have to do is throw down the marker. Then flip it next turn and then remove it to illustrate that it is back to pitch black. Lol

Once you get the printer down… then I moved to drawing so I can pretty much draw/create whatever needed. At 1/285 scale, it gets a little hairy, but can be down. All/most of my Fire Support Base stuff is custom drawn and printed. If you can think of it, you can draw it and print it. Then it is just painting/detailing it.

Flight Deck Decals wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 4:02 am
Those look awesome! Is your NA table going to be as robust as your Vietnam board? That is seriously impressive!
Thank you! I am going to try my best. NA is not as exciting at the vegetation in SE Asia, but I will try to bring it to life. The desert hexes are finalized, just need to mass produce now. The wadis, roads, villages and hills will take some planning to get right. Thank you for the kind words.
GHQ BUILD THREAD

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

Playing around with some Vietnam pigment to see if I can add another layer onto the vehicles. I like the color of the pigment for the location and era.

Added another action item for myself and my US infantry. Its time for a re-fresh. There are a few color changes I wanted to see or highlights. I wanted to address the helmets, gear/webbing, work on the weaponry a little more with details in shading and magazine colors. RTO infantry and their smoke grenades. Little things. Even toying with the idea of trying to print additional backpacks for some infantry and create/scale down an M-72 to lie on top shoulder to shoulder. Pipe dream though at this scale.

At some point, I will attempt to refresh my eastern forces as well.

ACAVs

Walker Bulldogs

M48 Pattons

GHQ BUILD THREAD

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

Spent some time re-freshing my infantry as well. Touching up, adding a little weathering or trying to pull out other details from the model. Will eventually touch each GI I have and get them to current.

RTOs, tried to bring out the smoke grenades

Printed off two additional bunkers. Will attempt to see how they turn out. There is a firing port/window in front with a crawl space in back. And you can see the dirt built up around the internal wood walls/support. You will never see that once the roof goes on (logs).

GHQ BUILD THREAD

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

GI, very nice work, painting, the tracks and antennas.
I have 50 M-41 ....errrrrrr..... well. Maybe a company’s with. I use my M41 hull with AMX-13 / 90 mm gun turret .... you know ...
for the SK-105 for Austria. Use the hull of the AMX-13 with the twin 20mm turret as the AAA, air defense vehicle.
Chris

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

I can't believe you're painting individual smoke grenades at this scale! I love it! Well done!
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

BurtWolf
E5

Post by BurtWolf »

Love your work! Pigments are awesome, I really think they make your models that much better. So well done Polish! Lee using them!

The individual soldiers are great too and i’m equally impressed that you were facing them individually.

Last but not least I love that bunker. Really I just can’t get enough of the 3-D printed the stuff you are doing. I think this is the summer I pick one up, the work you’ve been doing is so cool. Thanks for sharing and looking forward to the next production batch from you.

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

chrisswim wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 4:44 am
GI, very nice work, painting, the tracks and antennas.
I have 50 M-41 ....errrrrrr..... well. Maybe a company’s with. I use my M41 hull with AMX-13 / 90 mm gun turret .... you know ...
for the SK-105 for Austria. Use the hull of the AMX-13 with the twin 20mm turret as the AAA, air defense vehicle.
Thank you Chris! Only 50? Lol Which game do you play? What is the scale? 1:1? Platoon per model?
Yes, understood o the SK-105. You have flexibility for sure.

redleg wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 7:53 am
I can't believe you're painting individual smoke grenades at this scale! I love it! Well done!
Thanks! Trying to see what else one can bring out of these models. I am even looking at adding mudd to the boots of future troops or the pigment to dirty them up. I could re-do on current infantry but would most likely have to re-base them.

BurtWolf wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 12:24 am
Love your work! Pigments are awesome, I really think they make your models that much better. So well done Polish! Lee using them!

The individual soldiers are great too and i’m equally impressed that you were facing them individually.

Last but not least I love that bunker. Really I just can’t get enough of the 3-D printed the stuff you are doing. I think this is the summer I pick one up, the work you’ve been doing is so cool. Thanks for sharing and looking forward to the next production batch from you.
Thank you BurtWolf! It helps muddy things up for sure. It is light and dusty in the dry season… but really muddy during the wet months. May split the set for gaming.

Thank you, you want to add more weathering to the infantry or other details, but it sometimes gets lost due to the scale. You can bring out some details on the weapons. Barrels, wood handles on shotguns or rifles or perhaps magazines from being inserted and removed.

Thanks. I started the bunkers already. Dirt/terrain is down. Need to come over and add some grass now to start hiding the bunker outside of the window port. Im hoping I can bring out some additional details from the log roof. Will probably need to create some destroyed bunkers as well.

The wife gives me grief for working on many various things. I like to consider it a lazy Susan that allows me to grab something, work on it, place it back, spin and grab the next project. lol
GHQ BUILD THREAD

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

Trying to keep a pace here with getting things accomplished.

Bunker update

Infantry detail, helmet not complete

On patrol…

GHQ BUILD THREAD

BurtWolf
E5

Post by BurtWolf »

Great little bunkers Polish!

Gotta say, I reread that great PM you sent me last year in the printer specs. Thank you again. I’m gonna bite the bullet and get one for my scenery. Are you still using Ender 3 Pro? Any additional words of wisdom on a purchase?