PolishGI’s Working Thread (WWII & Vietnam)

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

Wow, this website can do funny things...

Putting a board together for what I call a ‘trainer scenario’ as I learn a new version of a game I’ve played for quite a while. This version is supposed to be streamlined so we shall see as I like the ‘details’. Even if that slows the game down a bit, I am ok with it.

I typically like to start with armored units on the first pass as we crank through the game. On the second pass, start adding infantry and other support units (arty). Keep adding pieces to the scenario so we can learn it instead of tackling the entire piece at once.

I like setting up boards because you can immediately identify what your future needs are since you are currently missing what you need now. Haha Along that notion, I need to evolve my forest hexes a bit more so they are in line with my Vietnam hexes. I think the line of thinking back in the day was to allow room for armored vehicles to possibly pass through.

I tried to take a shot from the same point but have to two different focal points.

Last edited by PolishGI on Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Charlie don't surf!
"Don't do things by half."
GHQ BUILD THREAD

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

Finally had a chance to play through a test scenario where German armor is moving forward on a Russian held farm.

Germans are approaching the battle in a three position format with a group of PzKw IV H going down the left side, a group of PzKw III down the middle and a group of StuG IIIGs down the right side. For added bonus, the Germans receive a platoon of Tigers from the local Heavy Panzer Battalion. (each stand/model represents 4-6 vehicles)

Assault Gun Company starting down the right side near a Russian farm.

The PzKw IIIL Company setting up for their approach down the middle

The Tiger has been designated as the tip of the spear for the attack

The PzKw IV Company entering the staging area down the left side

The Soviets have a few assets of their own. The question was would the Soviet numbers be enough to hold off the German attack. The Tank Destroy Regiment was setup and in place with various 76mm Zis-3 guns dug in along with a couple of M42 45mm AT guns. There was an SU Regiment available to help in the area along with a Medium Tank Battalion.

The Soviet Commander was told to hold the line as long as he could so that reinforcements could be sent. There was another SU Regiment along with a Heavy Tank Regiment in the area and already on the move to help support them.

The initial SU Regiment and dug in ATGs

The medium Tank Battalion

Will it be enough?

German Panzer units are moving forward

Last edited by PolishGI on Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
GHQ BUILD THREAD

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

Soviet armored units are moving forward in the hope that they can close the distance and eliminate the German range advantage. Given the terrain, there is very little to hide behind.

Gaps are closing…

German formation… The PzIVs down the left, the Tiger and Pz IIIs up the middle and the assault guns down the right side

The PzKw IVH fires first on the Su-122 and destroys it.

SU-122s are getting hit hard. A couple of Pz IVs are lost as well

Combat up close

The reinforcements are arriving. SU Regiment (SU-152s) enter the table

The reinforcement KVs have arrived

Last edited by PolishGI on Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
GHQ BUILD THREAD

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

Both forces are now engaged. Germans have lost a Pz IV on the left and a Pz III platoon in the middle. Soviets are taking hits as well and the medium Tank Battalion is suffering casualties.

SU-152 SU Regiment is double timing it to get into the battle

Some of the medium Tank Battalion has failed their morale checks for seeing their comrades lit up by the German armor. They are in full retreat. The Heavy Tank Battalion (KVs) are moving into position as quickly as they can.

Time is taking its toll on all armored units. The Soviets lost their SU Regiment on the German left flank. What is left of the medium tank battalion (T34s) is retreating. Germans do not have much left on the left flank and the Pz III company in the middle is dwindling down.

The Tiger is scoring hits and really beating up the T34s. The Soviet T-60s are hoping to sneak up on the Tiger and do some damage.

The assault gun company down the right side was been fortunate to side step most of the damage in the middle. Orders are to engage the KVs and SU-152s and hopefully slow them down.

Status pic from the Soviet PoV
Last edited by PolishGI on Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
GHQ BUILD THREAD

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

The Soviet T-60 is going for it

Success! German Commander is not a happy camper. Not that the T-60 really had a chance of destroying the Tiger… But if you score a hit and force the Tiger back by failing its morale check. Close enough. Slows the Tigers advance if anything else.

The assault gun company is starting to engage the Soviet reinforcements. Shots were fired and 1 round hit the SU-152 and bounced off and 1 shot hit the KV and it failed its morale check. The KVs fired and only scored a single hit. The 76mm hit on the StuG bounced off.

Pinned, the Tiger turns on the T-60 and destroys it.

Next round, the assault gun company is having better luck. Hits on the KV destroy it. The supporting T-34 joining the fight has been destroyed.

Status Pic

Soviet armor retreating

SU-152s regain their composure after being forced back and pinned and start charging the assault gun company.

Last edited by PolishGI on Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
GHQ BUILD THREAD

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

The Soviets are giving the Germans time to focus their fire instead of hitting all at once. The SU-152s fired at the StuG IIIGs and missed. 2 assault guns concentrated their fire on a single SU-152 scoring 3 out of 4 hits. One of those 3 hit found a way into the vehicle destroying it.

The other remaining SU-152 fails its morale check and flees.

Status pic from the German Commanders sideline. The Tiger destroyed one of the T-60s and the other flees.

Soviet Commander does his job. Germans are consuming too much ammo. German Commander starts to realize that while getting through the Soviet armor is going well, they are now down to 20-30% with the assault guns and Tiger. Thus, making any effort to pursue the attack and push the Soviets out of the area more difficult.

Soviet armor is in disarray and the Germans are running out of ammunition.

In the end, the German commander pulled back to reload his units. He wanted the Tiger to order the remaining Pz III and IV unit (without Commanders) to become subordinate to the Tiger and continue the crusade. The Tiger’s ammunition was down to 30%. Assault gun company did well but ammo was down to 20-30%. So the idea of chasing the retreating Soviet armor and running into the dug in anti tank guns might have led to unnecessary German armor losses due to little to no ammo left.

The Soviet commander was tasked with slowing down the German advance. The conclusion was that he succeeded. Having numerical advantages helps wear down the German assault. If anything, force the German supply units to keep the German armored units advancing without running low on ammo. The Soviets would have to regroup again and take another stand against an inevitable German attack the following day.
Last edited by PolishGI on Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
GHQ BUILD THREAD

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

Small update…

I need to get back to making some more terrain.

German 75L46 ATGs

JgPz IVs coming around…

Marders

Allied armor
Sherman 105s

M-18s

More British units coming online…

British individual heavy weapons based, individual infantry being allocated

Everyone based
Last edited by PolishGI on Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
GHQ BUILD THREAD

RedLeif
E5

Post by RedLeif »

Those Jagd Panzer IV's look sweet, the marders too.

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

RedLeif wrote:Those Jagd Panzer IV's look sweet, the marders too.
Thank you RedLeif!
GHQ BUILD THREAD

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

First attempt using the GHQ British symbols… Still a WIP and no top coat yet.

Next round of British units are primered…

Need something to move the artillery pieces around…
Last edited by PolishGI on Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
GHQ BUILD THREAD

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

Some more WIP pics…

Challengers being salvaged…

Churchills coming around

Humbers

British infantry… x120… my eyes are going cross eyed… Still have to add terrain.

Last edited by PolishGI on Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
GHQ BUILD THREAD

BurtWolf
E5

Post by BurtWolf »

Infantry look great! I admire your patience on painting them. Keep posting the good stuff!

Finally found some time and started working on trees for my hexes...

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

BurtWolf wrote:Infantry look great! I admire your patience on painting them. Keep posting the good stuff!

Finally found some time and started working on trees for my hexes...

Thanks BurtWolf. Trees can be tedious but they really add a nice dimension to the board. Along with blocking LOS.

Uploaded a few more pics now that the terrain is in place with the infantry.

Last edited by PolishGI on Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
GHQ BUILD THREAD

BurtWolf
E5

Post by BurtWolf »

Yeah those trees add so much more - I will post some pics soon. I gotta tell you the infantry is the thing I like least to paint. How did you affix yours to their bases?

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

BurtWolf wrote:Yeah those trees add so much more - I will post some pics soon. I gotta tell you the infantry is the thing I like least to paint. How did you affix yours to their bases?
Oh good, please do! After you start to get the terrain the way you want it, then you can throw a wrench in the system! Start adding elevation changes! hehe (via the GHQ instructions)

Thanks. I need to take better pics as the pics under my work station kind of drown out the coloring. Maybe take a few pieces up to the board upstairs and snap some pics.

I use a dab of super glue to tack each guy down to the plastic styrene. Same with the vehicles. I've had to re-base a few units and its not too bad removing the vehicle from the old base and glue it to the new base. My eyes are going sideways painting all 120 of these guys... haha Im staring at a bunch of German and Russian infantry (raw materials) as well so I will probably backburner those for a while and head back to terrain and/or vehicles.
GHQ BUILD THREAD