PolishGI’s Working Thread (WWII & Vietnam)

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

BurtWolf
E5

Re: PolishGI’s Working Thread (WWII & Vietnam)

Post by BurtWolf »

Your terrain, of course, is looking great, I think especially for your Vietnam pieces that applicator is well worth the money and effort! I appreciate the step-by-step how to as I never understood how to use one of those. I’m wondering if you could do 10 strips of application so you could put a bunch of cattails on the River bank for example? Love all the stuff you’re posting - it just seems to get better and better, thanks again for sharing!

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

redleg wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:54 pm
Great tutorial! Your work is pretty amazing!
Thank you redleg.

BurtWolf wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:47 pm
Your terrain, of course, is looking great, I think especially for your Vietnam pieces that applicator is well worth the money and effort! I appreciate the step-by-step how to as I never understood how to use one of those. I’m wondering if you could do 10 strips of application so you could put a bunch of cattails on the River bank for example? Love all the stuff you’re posting - it just seems to get better and better, thanks again for sharing!
Thank you BurtWolf.

If that helps out in some way or gets someone to try it out and improve, that’s why we are all in it, right? I was not terribly comfortable with the static grass but why not try it. The Model Railroaders do it so lets give it a go! Trial and error for sure.
Image Charlie don't surf!
"Don't do things by half."
GHQ BUILD THREAD

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

We shall see how this goes… Building up the grass with 2mm, then 4mm and finishing it with 6mm grass.

Once the grass is situated, I plan on adding trees to see what it looks like. The nice part is if I overdo it with grass, you can always “trim” it away to make it how you want.

Dirt down with 2mm grass.

I've built up the grass a little bit more for now. But I am reaching a point where I need to start planting some trees.
GHQ BUILD THREAD

Begemot
E5

Post by Begemot »

Great grass work, Polish!
You've got a job with us in the Undergrowth Department anytime you want it! We'll put in a good word for you with the Supreme Being!

Begemot
The summer grasses.
For many brave warriors
The aftermath of dreams.
--- Basho

Please visit my website "Lair of the Begemot": (https://lairbegemot.blogspot.com)

Hoth_902
E5

Post by Hoth_902 »

Begemot,

Extra Points for using a Time Bandits Reference. Classic Movie
Quantity has a Quality all its own.

http://warriorbear.weebly.com/

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

Begemot wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:54 am

Great grass work, Polish!
You've got a job with us in the Undergrowth Department anytime you want it! We'll put in a good word for you with the Supreme Being!

Begemot
Thanks Begemot! Such a great flick… may need to watch it again.

A few more WIP pics as finishing this 3-hex section is coming to a close. Brought the other test pieces together to form a larger section on the worktable.

1 of my 2 shipments from the UK arrived!
GHQ BUILD THREAD

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

Finishing up my support vehicles.

So I am working on my crane truck. One of the support beams off the back of the truck arrived broken so I have to re-build that section. I wanted to do something with the bed of the truck and make it more useful so I 3d printed a few drums and a toolbox. Due to the size, almost all of the model’s detail gets removed unfortunately.

Started laying down some additional open grass hexes

GHQ BUILD THREAD

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

The grass hexes are really looking good. It looks really neat when you either view or actually take pictures of things at ground level. It really gives you the Grunt's eye view of things. Great job, Polish GI!

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Great work Polish! I love the truck with the barrels! The grass is pretty amazing too! How much tabletop can you cover with that grass now?
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

BurtWolf
E5

Post by BurtWolf »

Eee gads man, that is fantastic! The barrels came out great you know how I love them. The kit bash is very cool, I think the minis look much better with some grub, grime, tools, bags etc affixed. Keep up the inspiring work, it’s great to see!

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

pmskaar wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:54 am
The grass hexes are really looking good. It looks really neat when you either view or actually take pictures of things at ground level. It really gives you the Grunt's eye view of things. Great job, Polish GI!
Thanks Pete! Agreed. I love the ground level shots where you get a different perspective along with seeing the contours of the land. Grass is allowing me to build certain areas up and lock LoS.

redleg wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:57 am
Great work Polish! I love the truck with the barrels! The grass is pretty amazing too! How much tabletop can you cover with that grass now?
Thanks redleg! The additions add something to the vehicles for sure. In the absence of anything like that being sold in that scale, I have to resort to 3d printing something. Had a few issues with scaling down my barrel to fit the truck but we got it right in the end. How much tabletop now? I would say I am up to around 60-65-70% of the ping pong table. With creating new hexes, I am also updating some of my older hexes with the grass.

My neighbor stopped by the other day and caught me cutting hexes out and painting them. "Do I want to know?" I said, "No, you do not!" lol

BurtWolf wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:20 pm
Eee gads man, that is fantastic! The barrels came out great you know how I love them. The kit bash is very cool, I think the minis look much better with some grub, grime, tools, bags etc affixed. Keep up the inspiring work, it’s great to see!
Thanks BurtWolf! Yes, the more barrels, the merrier! I found a truck like that for a reference pic and attempted to match it.

That is the question, right? To grime up or not to grime up? Do you go after a picture perfect model? Do you grime them up, how much? Are these models or game pieces? I think you get different answers with each person you ask.
GHQ BUILD THREAD

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

I’ve been working on a few templates and now its time to put them together to see what they look like. The hexes are spaced out a tad while they dry (dullcote). But you get the idea.

Next, I will have to incorporate them into a larger board to see what it looks like with the general population.

GHQ BUILD THREAD

Begemot
E5

Post by Begemot »

Polish,

Totally cool! Great work.

Begemot
The summer grasses.
For many brave warriors
The aftermath of dreams.
--- Basho

Please visit my website "Lair of the Begemot": (https://lairbegemot.blogspot.com)

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

Begemot wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:14 am
Polish,

Totally cool! Great work.

Begemot
Thank you Begemot!
GHQ BUILD THREAD

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Hi Polish GI!

You definitely have the grass thing mastered. This is probably the best tall grass I have seen at this scale and the shorter grass looks great as well. Excellent work my friend!

Pete