PolishGI’s Working Thread (WWII & Vietnam)

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

PolishGI
E5

Re: PolishGI’s Working Thread (WWII & Vietnam)

Post by PolishGI »

Moving through the paddy fields can always be slow while trying not to get wet.

2nd squad moves out and approaches a larger village. The sister fireteam is staying back in the elephant grass and providing cover.

3rd squad is already moving out of the first village and taking up positions in the surrounding elephant grass

2nd squad searching the second village

2nd squad proceeds to engage the local villagers

Villagers returning from the fields and making 2nd squad nervous.

1st Squad continues to move into cover while 2nd squad is speaking with the villagers

2nd squad Sgt. Cordova confronted the villagers who say they do not support any side in the war. They just want to be left alone so they can farm and feed their village. Cordova is very suspicious of this village but did not locate any evidence. Time to get out and rejoin the moving platoon.

1st squad’s PFC Nicolette had an exciting moment when passing through a wooded area. He had a poisonous spider drop on him and almost bite him. He freaked out and got rid of the spider but the rest of the squad was teasing him for the rest of the mission.

1st squad radios in that they think they found an entrance to a tunnel up ahead. They are told to proceed with caution.

Tunnel entrance confirmed. 1st squad tosses in a smoke grenade to look for other entrances along with a CS grenade to clear it out. No other openings are located and no one comes out. Tunnel entrance is blown in place and closed.

Platoon cuts through some light wooded areas to come across another village. Squads are already encircling the village to keep anyone was leaving.

Same picture, different focal points

Platoon HQ approaches the next village

3rd squad enters the village and surprises the villagers before they can flee.
3rd squad is holding everyone in place before the LT arrives.

Village in question as the platoon approaches
Image Charlie don't surf!
"Don't do things by half."
GHQ BUILD THREAD

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

LT begins questioning the villagers who say the same thing. Villagers do not support any side, they just want to be left alone. They haven’t seen any VC and don’t like the VC. Please go.

Squads search the village, there are no traps on the huts. There is a small entrance near one of the huts that lead to an underground cave/cavity. A weapon cache has been located. Appears to be several rifles, some AK-47s and a bit of ammo. LT asks the villagers again who now refuse to speak.

XO is contacted and given a SITREP and LT is told to setup a defensive perimeter and hold until the chopper arrives. He wants the villagers extracted and brought back to base for interrogation. As for the weapons, count everything up and then blow it in place and torch the village.

Defensive perimeter set up
LT is nervous, this is the perfect time for the VC to attack.

Huey approaching

Goofy Grape is confirmed

Villagers are placed on the Huey and extracted.
Time to move out and blow up the cache and torch the vill.

Cache is destroyed and the vill is torched

There was a surrounding village nearby that looked deserted so that was torched as well.

Platoon now moving north to the final waypoint. Passing through some bamboo.

The next waypoint can be seen in the distance

GHQ BUILD THREAD

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

As the platoon approaches the final village

3rd squad entering the village cautiously only to find out no one is present

Going to need to cross through this paddy field

And that’s a wrap. This sweep was ordered to check out the area and see if we could engage and destroy any enemy forces. If not, can we document any presence or signs of the enemy in the area. While there were no direct contact, signs of the enemy were found.

Rice cache was found along with a weapons cache yielding 6 x SKS rifles, 10 x AK-47s rifles and enough ammo for all of the weapons. 3 villagers were pickup and extracted back to base for interrogation. I wonder what that will yield, if anything. A single tunnel entrance was located and eliminated.

This was the first mission in the campaign that may never end. lol Good to get mechanics down with bringing in different material. Having everything be die driven for chance, it puts the solitaire player on edge as I had no idea what was going to happen or when. I am sort of glad that the scenario did not have any direct contact outside of searching everything and finding what I found. Game was just under 2 hours so that may increase if contact is made.

Moving on…
GHQ BUILD THREAD

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

Excellent pictures, terrain and story.
Chris

BurtWolf
E5

Post by BurtWolf »

Polish - fantastic board, work up, minis, and gaming! The terrain is superb, you did a really excellent job with that.

Love the Work you put into this, and thank you for posting all this. I haven’t touched a paintbrush in about three months - work/ life vortex etc - but I see your work and I’m heading back down to the workbench this weekend!

Here’s your next rain project: the city of Hue. Perhaps even some of it can later be used for a Stalingrad board??

Beagle
E5

Post by Beagle »

Excellent work, thanks for sharing!

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

That's awesome! Very inspiring and motivating! Keep them coming!
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

Begemot
E5

Post by Begemot »

Polish - Excellent board and nicely done scenario. You've put a lot of work into this and it shows. Looking forward to more.

One suggestion: your flames look red in your images. I would suggest more orange and yellows, as shown in this image of a US soldier passing a burning village structure:

Begemot
The summer grasses.
For many brave warriors
The aftermath of dreams.
--- Basho

Please visit my website "Lair of the Begemot": (https://lairbegemot.blogspot.com)

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

chrisswim wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:17 pm
Excellent pictures, terrain and story.
Thank you Chris!

BurtWolf wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:21 pm
Polish - fantastic board, work up, minis, and gaming! The terrain is superb, you did a really excellent job with that.

Love the Work you put into this, and thank you for posting all this. I haven’t touched a paintbrush in about three months - work/ life vortex etc - but I see your work and I’m heading back down to the workbench this weekend!

Here’s your next rain project: the city of Hue. Perhaps even some of it can later be used for a Stalingrad board??
Thanks Burt! Time to get after it my good man!

Oh Hue.. woof… that would be an endeavor.. lol

Beagle wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:12 pm
Excellent work, thanks for sharing!
My pleasure Bill!

redleg wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:25 pm
That's awesome! Very inspiring and motivating! Keep them coming!
Thank you redleg!

Begemot wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:53 am
Polish - Excellent board and nicely done scenario. You've put a lot of work into this and it shows. Looking forward to more.

One suggestion: your flames look red in your images. I would suggest more orange and yellows, as shown in this image of a US soldier passing a burning village structure:

Begemot
Thank you Begemot! I use the counters as visual markers so I don’t lose anyone. Lol Last time I had a Nam scenario I lost 1-2 guys… didn’t find them until later when I was cleaning up and changing over the table. Lol I guess that is good? I think…

Yes, good call! I was in a jam with the torching of the village decision and used my old school vehicle destruction markers for the WWII stuff. Lol I will need to update/refresh these as well to incorporate the yellows and oranges. You are right on the money. Great pic too!

Keep the feedback coming. I do keep a list of TO DOs that you guys see/find. Always looking to improve the setup.
GHQ BUILD THREAD

Beagle
E5

Post by Beagle »

I’d say if you had a couple guys get lost in the jungle, you’ve hit you Vietnam scenery right on the head, lol.

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

Beagle wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:34 am
I’d say if you had a couple guys get lost in the jungle, you’ve hit you Vietnam scenery right on the head, lol.
I agree! The VC infantry are pretty straightforward to see with the conical hats. Even the NVA are challenging.
GHQ BUILD THREAD

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Great looking Vietnam stuff as always, Polish GI! I have some Vietnam figures as well but have been too busy painting Modern figures right now. Your figures and terrain are inspirational to be sure.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

That's amazing Polish! Keep posting your games!
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

Mike ENG

Post by Mike ENG »

Really great work! I always enjoy seeing your work and your terrain is awesome.

On a side note head count is critical you can't leave a miniature behind to be consumed by a dust bunny or go forbid a vacuum. :)

Keep posting the great pics.
MIke

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

pmskaar wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:46 pm
Great looking Vietnam stuff as always, Polish GI! I have some Vietnam figures as well but have been too busy painting Modern figures right now. Your figures and terrain are inspirational to be sure.
Thank you Pete! All we need is time, right? I find myself bouncing back and forth between WWII and Vietnam. A buddy of mine asked if I would ever go to a modern era and I said no. lol I couldn’t handle it. I barely have time now. lol Thank you on the terrain part. I need to take inventory of what I have currently for terrain and make a list of where I want to be. And then start cranking out some sort of line for the various silos. (roads, grass, open, elephant grass, hills, hills with grass, hills with grass/dirt, hills that are wooded, dry stream beds, pathways, crop fields, rubber planation, hedges, lines of trees/grass and maybe a foot bridge for local vills.)

redleg wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:03 am
That's amazing Polish! Keep posting your games!
Thank you redleg. I need to figure out what mission 2 looks like. And if I crossover into the next month, what does that do to the roster with guys rotating home and who do I lose. (e.g. tunnel rat skill set or a dedicated pointman to avoid ambushes) I want to try and avoid giving any sister platoons donations from mine in the form of 1 grunt per squad. 34 isnt a bad starting point given historical statistics.

Mike ENG wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:15 pm
Really great work! I always enjoy seeing your work and your terrain is awesome.

On a side note head count is critical you can't leave a miniature behind to be consumed by a dust bunny or go forbid a vacuum. :)

Keep posting the great pics.
Thank you Mike. I appreciate the kind words. LOL Right, that would be a tragedy! Im dying with the dust bunny comment. Make me think of this:

GHQ BUILD THREAD