PolishGI’s Working Thread (WWII & Vietnam)

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

BurtWolf
E5

Re: PolishGI’s Working Thread (WWII & Vietnam)

Post by BurtWolf »

Go for it Polish! Make some claymores next!

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

GI, what if you used either round styrene, round balsa wood or round bass wood?
Consistently round. Sand down for your angle. Just an idea.
Chris

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

BurtWolf wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:41 pm
Go for it Polish! Make some claymores next!
Hi Burt! Already there my good man!

Claymore

Landmine

Punji Stake

chrisswim wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:43 pm
GI, what if you used either round styrene, round balsa wood or round bass wood?
Consistently round. Sand down for your angle. Just an idea.
Hi Chris. I thought about that as well. But I was unable to find the right circumference. Could be ticked up to not looking hard enough? I would lose being able to print the head of the grenade that holds the pin, spoon and fuse. I will keep looking to see if I can find something. These are just prototypes that I wanted to share and collect thoughts. So thanks for the push.
Image Charlie don't surf!
"Don't do things by half."
GHQ BUILD THREAD

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

GI, so is the end product that Penny with the 11 tiny stems surrounded by grass?

How about very small diameter wire?
Last edited by chrisswim on Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

BurtWolf
E5

Post by BurtWolf »

Dang it Polish, I know I shouldn’t have challenged you! That stuff looks great, as usual your terrain is truly remarkable.

Wait wait! Oh I do have a challenge after all- how about nice tall wall of napalm explosions?! :P

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

chrisswim wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:00 am
GI, so is the end product that Penny with the 11 tiny stems surrounded by grass?

How about very small diameter wire?
A small diameter wire could work as well.

With the game I play, these are typically more “markers” than actual size. If so, the small diameter wire would be appropriate for the scale. I tend to lean towards oversized pieces so they are visible. Tough call which way to go.

BurtWolf wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:43 am
Dang it Polish, I know I shouldn’t have challenged you! That stuff looks great, as usual your terrain is truly remarkable.

Wait wait! Oh I do have a challenge after all- how about nice tall wall of napalm explosions?! :P
Hi Burt, no worries. Challenge away! I love new ideas and projects to take on. Kind of helps stretch the boundaries, at this scale, if you will. Thank you on the terrain!

Napalm explosions… Id be lying if I said I didn’t think of it as well. But how? I keep coming up empty. And there would have to be many! Given the size of the cannister, that would dictate width and length. Need to start watching vids and researching.

The other item that has been bouncing around is artillery ground explosions. A lot of games provide ”templates” for calling in artillery fire or incoming mortar rounds. Why not have those depicted at 3d ground explosions? Once the artillery lands, damage assessed, you could replace the artillery explosions with the 3d divot marks I made some while ago.

The only thing I could come up with is something along the lines of a 3d printed base/stand that would allow for variable (length/angle) pieces of flower wire to be inserted/glued. To add additional variation, a thin layer/coating of cotton to be attached to the flower wire shooting out from the ground hit.

Once in place and secured, paint the stand a flat brown (eliminate the PLA color and silver wire) and then glue/coat the base/stand and flower wire/cotton with dirt to simulate earth being tossed everywhere. And then seal it with a dull cote on the top/outside.

I think that should hold as the flower wire is anchored to the base. The glue secures the cotton/dirt from the inside and the dull cote (varnish) seals it from the outside.
GHQ BUILD THREAD

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

So I was able to complete the initial version of the smoke grenades I am working on. I will probably shift over to something that is more of a perfect cylinder for the smoke grenade with the next version. But they did not come out too bad. Good markers.

To cross or not to cross…

A second location identified…

Last edited by PolishGI on Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GHQ BUILD THREAD

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

LRRP team waiting for extraction

Another extraction in process…

The approach…

GHQ BUILD THREAD

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

Last team to be picked up…

Bird approaching…

GHQ BUILD THREAD

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Wow! That is really an impressive Vietnam terrain layout, Polish GI! So much variation in the vegetation and the rest of it. Really well done!

Did I see soldiers with "boonie hats"? Where did you get those? Thanks!

Pete

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

pmskaar wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:52 am
Wow! That is really an impressive Vietnam terrain layout, Polish GI! So much variation in the vegetation and the rest of it. Really well done!

Did I see soldiers with "boonie hats"? Where did you get those? Thanks!

Pete
Thank you Pete!

You did! I believe I stole a few from the NVA Heavy Weapons pack. Quite a bit of time removing the M1 helmet and boonie hat from the NVA, flattening things out and then re-attaching the new hat onto the US soldier.
GHQ BUILD THREAD

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

That is dedication!

Begemot
E5

Post by Begemot »

PolishGI - VERY impressive work. I can almost feel the heat and humidity. And ... wait ... do I hear the 'Flight of Valkyries' faintly in the distance?

Now you need to do some napalm explosions. For that smell, you know, that gasoline smell. The smell of ... Victory.

Anyway, this is master level terrain work.

Begemot
The summer grasses.
For many brave warriors
The aftermath of dreams.
--- Basho

Please visit my website "Lair of the Begemot": (https://lairbegemot.blogspot.com)

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

pmskaar wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:44 am
That is dedication!
Thank you Pete.

Begemot wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:44 am
PolishGI - VERY impressive work. I can almost feel the heat and humidity. And ... wait ... do I hear the 'Flight of Valkyries' faintly in the distance?

Now you need to do some napalm explosions. For that smell, you know, that gasoline smell. The smell of ... Victory.

Anyway, this is master level terrain work.

Begemot
Thank you Begemot! I love the smell of napalm in the morning...

There was a lot of time spent on ‘recipes’ for terrain to see what works and what does not. What is too much or what is not enough. Its fun pumping Wagner through the upstairs speakers. I get a lot of eyerolling from the wife and kids. If it continues, I will threaten to open the windows up for all to hear. Lol

A close modelling buddy of mine wants to take a stab with bringing napalm to life at 1/285. He has located some LEDs that are fairly small and not too bright that go into a Gundam’s head to light things up. The assembly contains the LED light, the small battery and on/off switch. I may need to order a few for trial and error. If one could draft a 3d base that allows the led/assembly/battery to fit underneath aiming up and out in each direction, one could conceivably light a napalm explosion on the table from the inside out. You have access to the on/off switch on the bottom. Which also would allow you to remove the LED assembly to swap batteries if necessary for maintenance. Then re-assemble.

The 1/35 modelers are doing that now and the results are incredible. Couple of ideas…

The base/stand would have to be printed to house the led below and allow the lighting to shine through while also allowing you to build the body of the explosion with smoke (cotton). The surrounding cotton (e.g. oranges, reds and black) would create the effect with the internal light coming through.

Theoretically speaking anyway...
GHQ BUILD THREAD

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

That's amazing work! I'm so very impressed and maybe a little bit frightened!
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com