Page 1 of 1

Paint Removal

Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:48 pm
by Hoth_902
I know this topic has been done before, but I can't find a way to search this forum to find what I need quickly.

I need to strip some vehicles. Sadly, and might be changing it in the future, I use enamels. I have used Simply Green with some success but it does leave some paint in the cracks. Other times I has stripped really good and help from a tooth brush got the remainder off. I was hoping someone had a stronger product that worked good on enamels.

I think someone suggested Aircraft Remover. Is there a specific brand for this product and how well did it work for you? Just wanted to double check before I searched for it or ordered it on line.

Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:37 am
by panzergator
Try Pinesol. I have used other paint remover, but the fumes and fire hazard aren't worth it. Recommend wire brush. You may have the use a needle pick, although it is obviously time consuming. Soak a week in Pinesol, rinse, dry, and work it immediately.

Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:38 am
by panzergator
Duplicate deletef

Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:02 am
by pdxs3t
Go to the local automotive parts store and snag a can of Aircraft Remover. Will strip any paint off metal in minutes, not hours or days.

Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:12 pm
by Hoth_902
Cama,

Just to be clear, it works good on Enamels? At the moment, its the main paint that I am using. A follow on question, does it work on Lacquers, and clear coats as well?

Thanks to everyone for the information provided in this topic.

P.S. Cama, please post some more of your handy work. Miss seeing it.

Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:41 pm
by tstockton
A caveat on acetone... it also dissolves plastic. If you want to strip paint off of a vehicle to which you've added styrene parts, it will also remove those parts.

Don't recall where I picked this up, but it stuck in my mind "for future reference".

Regards,
Tom Stockton

Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:55 pm
by Hoth_902
Tstockton,

Thanks for the tip. Great cautionary advice. Would be trajic if you did all that work and then have paint thinner ate them Way. Fortunetly I am not that gutsy to do styrene modifications.

Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:57 am
by pdxs3t
If you really want to strip paint off a miniature, it can be done in minutes by using Aircraft Remover. Yes, it is called Aircraft Remover. And once you use it, you won’t use anything else for the job. I’ve used it to strip around 200 miniatures. It also works on plastic models too (test first just to be sure).

https://www.amazon.com/Klean-Strip-Airc ... nt+remover

Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:11 am
by Hoth_902
pdxs3t,

I think i will start off with trying some of the Aircraft Remover. I have some WWII and modern stuff I would like to redo.

Thanks everyone for all the great suggestions. Keep them coming. If I ever get any time, I might try to go back through this tread and make a list of all the products and what they are good for. Not sure if that will happen, but we shall see.

Hoth

Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:08 am
by pdxs3t
Let us know how well it works out for you.