Chrisswim Stuff.

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

chrisswim
E5

Re: Chrisswim Stuff.

Post by chrisswim »

MBT-70. TO&E is conjecture to a degree for this tank. 3 platoons of 5 tanks, with 3 tanks in the Co command element. Or use the Abrams TO&E for 3 platoons of 4 tanks with CO and XO. Would the tank keep the 152mm gun? Keep tank round and missile? Or change to 120mm? Any questions please direct Jim’s way. He is certainly more knowledgeable than I.

Here is some eye-candy….

Chris

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

TOE is a guess. If fielded in '75, most likely H series - 5 tanks per platoon, 3 platoons and a 2-tank co hq for 17 tanks in a company. 3 companies and 3 tanks for bn hq. 54 tanks total.

The J series was still in development. Several different aspects had to come together to see the J series. The first was refining AirLand Battle. The second was development of a suite of vehicles, including the M1tank , which, as we know, came about from the failure of MBT70, the M2/3 Bradley, the Apache attack helicopter, and Hellfire AT missile. These systems made AirLand Battle possible, and AirLand Battle integrated these systems into an effective fighting force capable of taking the fight against a numerically superior foe on the offense.

There were several difficulties with MBT70/XM803. The system was complex and failure prone, as it was fircing the technology. Despite the auto-loader, the main gun required, in combat terms, a longer cycle time than a human loader (If you read the '73 War books, you see that cycle time was critical and an advantage to the Israelis). The turret-located driver suffered frequent disorientation as his individual turret remained oriented to the hull when the turret was traversed. The Germans had already started looking at mounting a 120mm gun (no missile) on their version when the project was cancelled. The 120mm would have solved almost all the tech problems. I'm not sure there was space to put the driver in the hull, so that difficulty would likely have remained. Switching to the 120 would have significantly reduced the cost. Simplifying the secondary weapon as on XM803 (50cal commander's station rather than the separate pop-up 20mm or 25mm, as eventually intended) would also have reduced cost and maintenance. And the HS 20mm was notoriously unreliable.

So, if MBT70 or XM803 was fielded with some changes, it might not have been fielded until the late 70s. By then, planners were moving to the J series. Work on the M1 might not have started until later, although the development of Chobham armor might have given some impetus to a new design. You might have seen XM803s in 4-tank platoons, 14-tank companies, and 4-company battalions at that point.

Mike Robel would not be happy about giving up the 152mm launcher, as he thought the 152mm sabot round was pie in the sky. With that round, I don'feel we would have needed the Shillelegh, so again, the system could have been simplified. Still, some systems would have remained that hadn't really matured, Making the tank useable in the field would have involved more money and Congress was not inclined to sink more money in that mudhole.

So when you get some MBT70s, you are obviously free to organize them however you want. Since they are what-ifs, I feel I can do that. I like 5-tank platoons, 4 companies per battalion, although, at the moment, I only have 3 companies in my battalions (until I can print more)
All blessings flow from a good mission statement.
Pogo was right. So was Ike.
"A Gentleman is a man who is only rude intentionally." (Churchill)
Give credit. Take responsibility.

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

M-6 Linebackers

Chris

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

Stripped paint off the Avengers, painted Aussie Camo.

Ground detection system for intel.

Last edited by chrisswim on Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

Armored bulldozers.

Trucks

Last edited by chrisswim on Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

Mud here, too.

Last edited by chrisswim on Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Lookin good Chris! Nice and dirty!
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

Abrams AVLB or AAVLB

Chris

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

SK-105 and working on a few unique pieces.

SK-105 are made with hull of M-41 and turret of AMX-13 (90) N-113. It is shorter and thicker to represent the 105mm.

The two SK-105 on the right are retreating or placed in a hide to bug-out; the three on the left are advancing.

Czech truck, Tatra 8x8, US M1083 air defense radar, communication trucks.

Last edited by chrisswim on Mon Nov 07, 2022 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

Working on these. Touch up and seal the deal.

Chris

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

Work on the Tatra trucks and trailers.

Chris

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Nice work Chris! I like the air defenses - are they kit-bash?
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

Thank you Mike, shapeways.

Here is a Leopard 2 I picked up from someone, he had a barrel glued into a notch on bottom of turret. I could not create a hole I wanted so I cut into turret, then made a hole for the styrene. Build up some glue, have more work to do. We have a plan.

Chris

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

Modern German Hummel

TPz 1A1/EloKa, 87 delivered (electronic warfare variant, not amphibious).

The idea came from Paul when he built his Hummel. I used round styrene (yuch), use square as the piece the antennas are attached is and it’s easier.
Chris

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

To launch a drone one needs a drone, a launch system… May I present….

Chris