M60 Tanks

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

redleg
E5

Re: M60 Tanks

Post by redleg »

Mind blown! I didn't know that there were M60 units like that! Thanks for the info!
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

Yep. When John Kennedy made that visit to Berlin, he also reviewed troops, including 1-32 Armor, sporting its new M60 tanks, commanded by LTC Donn A. Starry. Assume you've heard of him.
All blessings flow from a good mission statement.
Pogo was right. So was Ike.
"A Gentleman is a man who is only rude intentionally." (Churchill)
Give credit. Take responsibility.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

I finally got an M60A1 painted up in MERDC, but it just doesn't look right. I'm not sure if it's the colors I'm using, or the proportions of the colors. Or maybe something else. I used the colors that I had on hand: Tamiya NATO Green, NATO Brown, NATO Black, and Buff.

I'm also interested to hear what color the IR spotlight should be. I painted the face of the spotlight black, but not so sure that is the correct color. I need some help from you M0 tankers!

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

The sand is too prominent. Wrong brown - too much red in it. Units I was in did not camo search lights. They were a dark OD.

In 3AD, canvas was not camo'd as the paint degraded the canvas, EXCEPT when "condemned" canvas was used to cover plywood structures built by some units for some 2 1/2T trucks, Gamma Goats, and 1/4T trailers. These were non-standard items and not all units built them.

But then, some units painted a symbol on their canvas search light covers anyway...

1-32 Armor, nicknamed the Bandits, painted the face of the search light cover black with a white skull and crossed bones. 3-32 Armor (Iron Dukes) used a yellow triangle with a gray mailed fist holding a red lightning bolt crossing from upper right to lower left. Another unit of 32nd Regiment used the distinctive unit insignia. 33rd Regiment used their distinctive unit insignia, as well.

You should not be discouraged, however. Perusing the many photographs of MERDC'd M60A1s and A3s, you find little consistency, even between individual tanks in the same unit. Units vary wildly. Very few adhere strictly to regulation, although some did a pretty good job. Most units were painted by their own troops, amateurs all, and freehand chalking and painting the same pattern on 54 or 58 tanks could get a bit tedious.

Should you choose to camo a unit in the earlier MASSTER USAREUR pattern, your brown would be close. What color was it?

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Hi Redleg

I have experience with M-60s and the MERDC scheme. My first unit assignment was to 1/72nd Armor in Korea in 1976 to 1977. Our battalion was just finishing up on the MERDC scheme when I arrived in September.

The official proportions for the MERDC scheme in terms of paint are 45% Green, 45% Field Drab/Brown, 5% Black, 5% Sand. In Korea, the second color was Field Drab which is a kind of muddy looking greenish brown color. At least it looked a bit green to my eye but a bit more brownish. When I got to Germany in 1981 the second color on the 3AD tanks in 2/33 Armor looked more brown with no green tint to it but not as red as what you have depicted.

As Panzergator has already mentioned, 3AD dropped the Sand color and added Black in those areas so the proportions were 45% Green, 45% Brown, and 10% Black.

Also note that each vehicle had a Pattern guide as to where the various colors were to be applied. Due to imperfect interpretation and or implementation of the guide you would probably see some minor deviations but the pattern was pretty standard.

If you are interested, you can access Begemot's Gallerie here on the GHQ site where he has painted some M-113s and other vehicles. I think his work on these is pretty spot on with proper color proportions and pattern. The models are lovely to behold.

Here are some M-60A3s that Begemot painted for me as a Birthday present a couple years ago. He painted these in the 3AD style with no Sand in the mix but a bit more Black instead.

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

Field drab is what I used. I did it so long ago, I couldn't remember that.

Nice tanks!

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Thank you for the feedback and the pics you guys! I'm going to see if I can get my hands on a different color brown and I'll give it another shot! I'm going to keep trying with the sand color included. I'll post another pic of the (hopefully) new and improved paint job!

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

I could look at those M60-series all day... and WOULD, if you would only post enough pictures! Those are SO nice!

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

My MERDC M60s are still not even in the same zip code as Begemot's but I feel like I'm improving. Oddly enough, I'm painting a company of M60A3s in plain old straight up green, but they're not turning out well. I'll post some more pics of those soon.

So here is my next attempt at MERDC. I got a brownier brown and I tried to reduce the amount of sand color. Here is an M60A1:

And I have that one leftover M60A3 so I decided to give the desert MERDC a shot.

Plain green tanks coming soon!

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

Very, very nice variations on M60s. I appreciate the pics.

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

PG really loves the M60s. I think they look nice. Good camo, great variations of MERDC.
Chris

Hoth_902
E5

Post by Hoth_902 »

Way to go Redleg, they look really good. Great job.
Quantity has a Quality all its own.

http://warriorbear.weebly.com/

whoa Mohamed
E5

Post by whoa Mohamed »

I’ve got the manual and it says the same percentage as already mentioned but the colors are forest green , Flat earth , black and sand.
every man for all mens rights
all men for every mans rights

Hoth_902
E5

Post by Hoth_902 »

Just want confirmation, did M60A3s get MERDC camo? I am itching to paint some MERDC. I have some Bradley's and a platoon of M60A3s.
Quantity has a Quality all its own.

http://warriorbear.weebly.com/

StarCruiser
E5

Post by StarCruiser »

I believe all three majors variants did - the A1, A2 and A3...

As to exactly when and where..? I don't have enough to go on there (yet).
"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of java that the thoughts acquire speed. The hands acquire the shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion." - Programmer's Mantra